Buzzards!

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Anyone else wearing a grey helmet had buzzards swooping over their head? Presumably their instincts kick in when your alone in the middle of nowhere (farm / woodland) and think your a helmets a hare/rabbit? Fantastic to see just a few feet above your head, and bigger than you realise close up.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No buzzards in NZ. I want to see a photo or video of said buzzard swooping.
Some in here :

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Have them here and see one most days when walking the dog. They are getting used to people and just the other day one was sat on a branch no more than 5feet above my head. Seen them swoop in to try to take ducks off the water when I've been walking past. We have a breeding pair here and late summer see the parents with their young circling and calling. We have a breeding pair of herons too and the dog surprises it most days and I see it trying to get away from him in its usual ungainly way.

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
Lots of Turkey Vultures where I live in Southern Colorado. They only clean up dead animals and keep their distance.
ORG_DSC00298_Original.jpeg
ORG_DSC00302_Original.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There are plenty of vultures in SoCal. They like to soar above the mountain ridges, riding the currents. Sometimes their current-riding and my trail-riding converge, and we'll travel along together for a bit before one of us peels off. Birds' eyesight is pretty good, so I don't think they're confusing 200 pounds of brightly clothed man meat shredding along at 25 mph for a dead squirrel.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
There are plenty of vultures in SoCal. They like to soar above the mountain ridges, riding the currents. Sometimes their current-riding and my trail-riding converge, and we'll travel along together for a bit before one of us peels off. Birds' eyesight is pretty good, so I don't think they're confusing 200 pounds of brightly clothed man meat shredding along at 25 mph for a dead squirrel.
I should of said, the buzzards that keep swooping down on me are out of tall trees, not the normal 1000ft+ heights most people usually see the things, riding the thermal up draughts in summer. Here in the UK (and Europe) they're not vultures, more of a large hawk, smaller than an eagle probably 4 or 5 ft wingspan superb eyesight at height like all hawks, except when close up. And I don't wear naff bright coloured gear, no-one does, must be a US thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles