Buying your first (e)MTB, go cheap or expensive?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Is it better to drop the cash on a solid bike with final components, or a dirt cheap bike that you can abuse into the ground while you learn how to (e) mountain bike?

For example, a cheap €2600 Ghost Kato Hybrid or a solid €4500 Commencal Meta Power 29 Ess. Fox as the first eMTB to learn on?

1554216397050.png

EDIT: for trail riding

Last edited:

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
go for the same minimum level of componentery you would acept for a non assist bike

This would be the first MTB, so no prior knowledge, e or non-e, for someone who has enjoyed riding fire roads and small trails on a city bike (as best as one can!) and wants more.

Last edited:

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I think as with most things mechanical, better setup and components will always make for a better experience, even if you cannot take full advantage of the last few percent. So, by all means, if you have the money I would go for a better spec, you will simply have more fun!

That being said, for me there is one key point to consider: the emtb design and tech is moving fairly quickly, so if you are not sure you will keep the bike and think you might resell it in the first 24 months, you will probably loose less money with a lower spec product (As long it is a recognized brand).

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
It'll cost you more in the long run to buy the cheaper bike and upgrade it. If you don't think you'll upgrade the cheaper bike and you're 100% sure you'll be happy with it, then go for the cheaper one.

I don't think you'll run either bike into the ground 'learning' how to ebike. In fact its normally the complete opposite. Really good riders tend to wear out bikes and components a lot quicker than newer riders.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
This would be the first MTB, so no prior knowledge, e or non-e.

Have you been out trail riding? Just curious.. i've taken a number of people out to try riding and just about all of them never ended up getting into mountain biking. But that's mostly on regular mountain bikes so the fitness required might have something to do with that. Even the few people who bought mountain bikes hardly use them unfortunately...

Meanwhile i started on a really crappy ridged mountain bike that was a girls bike with a slopped top tube. It was super embarrassing but it got me out on the trails and i found i really loved riding trails even on a crappy bike. Then i went out and bought a really expensive bike as my first bike. And i started riding as many days as my legs could handle! lol

Anyways if you're comparing that Ghost to the Commencal, both look like good bikes but the Ghost has 120/100mm travel so it wouldn't be as good for exploring rugged terrain. That's the biggest disadvantage i can see off the top of my head

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
For the 1st mtb/ emtb / etc don´t go craisy ... :devilish: unless cash no problema.
What do you want to do/ride? What kind off rides are your mates doing ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I will assume that you are really not kidding when you say "no prior knowledge, e or non-e". Even if money was no object, unless you have a really good reason to go for an emtb instead of an mtb, (like buggered knees), then I recommend starting your mtb journey with a proper mtb (no "e"). You will quickly find out if you like mtb at all (you might not). Another strong recco would be to go on an "introduction to mtb" skills courses asap. It will help you develop some essential skills because mtb is not just riding a bike where it's not flat. Then as you develop, go on an intermediate mtb skills course.

Developing some essential skills will help you enjoy mtb even more. When you eventually buy an emtb, you will discover than they can get you into trouble more quickly and you will need those skills to stop you damaging yourself.

Even if you decide that your first venture into the wonderful world of mtb is an emtb, then do yourself a big favour and get onto some skills courses at the first opportunity.

In my opinion, EMTBs are not for beginners.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
You could also try calling around to the local bike shops and see if you can demo a bike on a group ride, or ask if they're having any ebike demo's coming up at trail centers. That way you can just show up and ride without putting any money into the sport other than buying a helmet.

If you find that after you've rode, you begin dreaming about bikes and taking trips with bikes, then you're probably hooked, and it's going to cost you WAY more than an addiction to crack

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
......... i've taken a number of people out to try riding and just about all of them never ended up getting into mountain biking. But that's mostly on regular mountain bikes so the fitness required might have something to do with that. .......

It's easy to forget how steep the learning curve is on an mtb. It's even easier to scare the crap out of newbies by the terrain you judge to be "easy". A nice and simple 10 miles will leave them knackered; if not from the physical effort, then from the concentration required as they are bombarded with "feet level, arse off the seat, elbows out, legs bent, weight forward, weight back....." All as they are also learning to change gear, and brake on a strange bike that is unlike anything they've ridden before. :eek: And they are so sloooooooow! :)

On Saturday, one of my mates brought his wife along on. Not only was it her first mtb ride, it was the first time on her new bike. At least he got her a decent one (Whyte T130). She was very fit and up for the challenge. But her required learning curve was so steep that we decided to forget about the ride and concentrate on coaching her. I'll bet she slept well that night! :LOL:

PS: She did really well, but I almost hope that she won't like mtb; that size of Whyte T130 is exactly what I'm after for my grandson! :giggle:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Some people are naturals, and others just can't do it - most of us sit somewhere in the middle. I remember a mate of mine who is a very handy at all board sports was able to get on one of my bikes for a ride with me, and but the end of the ride you could see it would only take him a few more rides to become very handy on the trials.

I think riding well is fundamentally about body position, spatial awareness both of your own body and the bike, feel for the bike, and reading the terrain, and a lot of people who have been involved in activities that involve similar skills can transfer pretty well.

I fundamentally believe that riding a bike fast on trails is a fairly instinctive and natural skill - yes you can train and learn, but essentially its about instinctive reactions and flow.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
In my opinion, EMTBs are not for beginners.

I'd disagree with that! Especially anyone for whom the following is not true:

Rider fitness x ability to enjoy exhaustion/pain > difficulty of going up hills (steepness, length, etc)

If you have an EMTB then uphill climbs aren't a problem, whereas with a non-assist MTB hills could easily put a beginner off cycling completely. I was used to riding up hills on the road, but when I was thinking of going offroad there was no way I'd want to do it on a normal MTB. The offroad hills are steeper and with a worse surface, so it would be much harder than I'd actually enjoy! I jumped straight to an EMTB and have loved it ...

As for which EMTB to buy for a beginner: if you know you will enjoy it and keep using it (tried a demo first?) then go for the more expensive. If you're unsure go for the less expensive, but be prepared to switch up in a years time.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I'd disagree with that! Especially anyone for whom the following is not true:

Rider fitness x ability to enjoy exhaustion/pain > difficulty of going up hills (steepness, length, etc)

If you have an EMTB then uphill climbs aren't a problem, whereas with a non-assist MTB hills could easily put a beginner off cycling completely. I was used to riding up hills on the road, but when I was thinking of going offroad there was no way I'd want to do it on a normal MTB. The offroad hills are steeper and with a worse surface, so it would be much harder than I'd actually enjoy! I jumped straight to an EMTB and have loved it ...

As for which EMTB to buy for a beginner: if you know you will enjoy it and keep using it (tried a demo first?) then go for the more expensive. If you're unsure go for the less expensive, but be prepared to switch up in a years time.

I totally agree with you a beginner can easily ride and enjoy an emtb go for it :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
An important question would be what type of riding do you want to do?

If its just riding xc, and getting out and about in the woods/hills then a basic but decent EMTB from reputable brand will do just fine.

If you want to start getting into riding more technically, doing jumps (of any sort, not crazy you tube stuff) and pushing yourself, then you are going to want to get the best reasonably specced bike you can afford.

A bike like the Commencal is going to have all bases covered, a great bike to get out on, and learn, but also a bike that will allow you to progress without the need to start upgrading parts.

One thing I would say, is get a bike with a dropper post - this is the most essential bit of kit IMO on any modern MTB, and even more so if learning - the ability to get the seat down and out the way means a lot more confidence when learning how to ride.

Sure you can upgrade to one later (as long as the frame has allowance to do so) but getting one from the start is going to save money and having to fit one.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've tried several times during my adult life to get into cycling, not necessarily mtb trail riding but byways,cross country etc, every time I've not stuck with it for very long, I bought an e-mtb just after Christmas and can't wait to get out on it every Saturday. I'd say they are a benefit to beginners.

One tip though might be to look out for deals on older (new) models, I got a decent spec jam2 by doing that.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
One tip though might be to look out for deals on older (new) models, I got a decent spec jam2 by doing that.
This is good advice. I bought my 2017 bike at the end of the year with a whopping 35% off.

However, it's worth checking that there hasn't been a significant change in the subsequent model year, i.e. the 2019 Levo compared to the 2018.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I have to also say that I don’t agree with starting with a normal bike. I think normal biking sucks most of the time and that keeps me from going out very often, but with the Ebike I can’t wait to get out there, being on flat or trail. If you can afford it get a decent one and hopefully you love it. Worst case you lose around 1000 pounds in a year.

But as someone stated further up in the thread you should be able to do a few demos either on demo days or simply borrow from a shop.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
It's easy to forget how steep the learning curve is on an mtb. It's even easier to scare the crap out of newbies by the terrain you judge to be "easy". A nice and simple 10 miles will leave them knackered; if not from the physical effort, then from the concentration required as they are bombarded with "feet level, arse off the seat, elbows out, legs bent, weight forward, weight back....." All as they are also learning to change gear, and brake on a strange bike that is unlike anything they've ridden before. :eek: And they are so sloooooooow! :)

That reminds me of when I took a newbe out & we did a gentle gravel track downhill, he grabbed a handful of front brake & you can guess the rest, he blamed me to for not warning him!
Experience counts for a lot, but then again a good bike can compensate for much. I would look at sale bikes as they can be much cheaper, for the price of the Ghost you could get a cracking 2017 bike or an amazing second hand bike if you don't need the support of an LBS.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
An important question would be what type of riding do you want to do?

If its just riding xc, and getting out and about in the woods/hills then a basic but decent EMTB from reputable brand will do just fine.

If you want to start getting into riding more technically, doing jumps (of any sort, not crazy you tube stuff) and pushing yourself, then you are going to want to get the best reasonably specced bike you can afford.

A bike like the Commencal is going to have all bases covered, a great bike to get out on, and learn, but also a bike that will allow you to progress without the need to start upgrading parts.

One thing I would say, is get a bike with a dropper post - this is the most essential bit of kit IMO on any modern MTB, and even more so if learning - the ability to get the seat down and out the way means a lot more confidence when learning how to ride.

Sure you can upgrade to one later (as long as the frame has allowance to do so) but getting one from the start is going to save money and having to fit one.
Totally agree, no dropper no fun! (Unless you are never on a trail). Full sus and dropper are such a big part of the fun (and safety).

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
My first eMTB was (is) a 2018 Levo s-works and I don’t regret it. Having the better end of components is always a better thing whether you use them to their full capability or not, but you can rest assured as you improve you (should) have everything there you need.

Where possible I always try and buy the best I can afford (as long as it offers value) at the time, bikes or otherwise.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll love it regardless ??

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Is it better to drop the cash on a solid bike with final components, or a dirt cheap bike that you can abuse into the ground while you learn how to (e) mountain bike?

For example, a cheap €2600 Ghost Kato Hybrid or a solid €4500 Commencal Meta Power 29 Ess. Fox as the first eMTB to learn on?

View attachment 12552

EDIT: for trail riding
Try renting a full suspension bike and hit some easy trails (coached - if possible), do this a couple of times just to see if this is something you would enjoy. If still uncertain at this moment I'd look for a cheap hardtail eMTB and do some XC riding with no harsh sections to explore deeper your passion for MTB riding and when you get the feeling of what components are lacking - you will enderstand which bike to buy next.
But if after just a few test rides you are still blown away by the emotions -
go for the Commencal - it has far superior suspension, brakes and transmission, Kato is underspecced in every component that makes eMTB riding an enjoyable experience, and it has no dropper! Bringing Kato to Commencal spec level would cost you much more than the price difference, and upgrading still does not guarantee a pleasant result.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Try renting a full suspension bike and hit some easy trails (coached - if possible), do this a couple of times just to see if this is something you would enjoy. If still uncertain at this moment I'd look for a cheap hardtail eMTB and do some XC riding with no harsh sections to explore deeper your passion for MTB riding.But if after a few test rides you are still blown away by the emotions - I'd take Commencal - it has far superior suspension, brakes and transmission, Kato is underspecced in every component that makes eMTB riding an enjoyable experience, and it has a dropper! Bringing Kato to Commencal spec level would cost you much more than the price difference, and upgrading still does not guarantee a pleasant result.
I am really sorry to disagree, but I see no point in an hardtail emtb unless you do fast commuting and try to squeeze every mile out of the bike. Full sus is so much better in all other situations, especially for a beginner. And get the dropper too!

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I am really sorry to disagree, but I see no point in an hardtail emtb unless you do fast commuting and try to squeeze every mile out of the bike. Full sus is so much better in all other situations, especially for a beginner. And get the dropper too!
Full suspension is great, I was just thinking that if after some rides he is still in doubt if he wants to dive deeper into MTB - doing a season of XC rides would help him make his mind. With a cheaper bike he would still get the WOW-factor of an eMTB without breaking a bank, and hardtail is still a good option for flat XC riding.
Personally I'd go with the Commencal - I enjoy good specs on a bike so much!
In any case I wouldn't consider the Kato.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
You need to come out with me on my hardtail, ain’t no commuting on my trails
I am not saying hard tails are no good, especially if you are skilled, but for me and I think for all beginners FS is so much more comfortable and fun. That said, I would love to go! ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don’t disagree with that, but a decent hardtail is not the bone shaker many think, and still not much better out there for teaching you line choice and how to read terrain.

The main reason I would agree with you about buying an FS is that with EMTB’s a cheap decent hardtail for proper trail riding isn’t really an option (unlike with normal MTB’s) and the price of a decent hardtail isn’t far off that of a decent FS EMTB

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
My first e-mtb was a hardtail with Rockshox 30 ( a little under cooked), Magura MT7s ( a little overcooked- best ever tho') good wheels and tyres, XT 10-speed. After 3800 Kms of trails I bought a Merida e120 800 full sus...kept the hardtail and ride both depending ... fitted the hardtail for touring with Thule rack and panniers.... best of both worlds ... lucky I can afford it! Gotta do something in my retirement!

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
As I avoided the topic of cheaper v more expensive...it depends on your budget really...first, don't buy a hub driven bike, buy mid-driven. The geometry and weight distribution is best for mountain biking. Even the Bafang MAX-01 could be considered if you are cash strapped. They are cheap, under $A2000 and although not sophisticated they are a reliable mid-drive unit. I have ridden one (hardtail) and it was a lot of fun without the bells and whistles. Buy what you can afford... dual suspension is best (in most circumstances) but a cheaper mid-drive e-mtb is better than no e-mtb at all and components can be upgraded...the cheap fork for instance can be replaced with an entry-level air sprung fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles