Buying a used bike. Clueless.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I’ve been looking at used bikes all day and prices are all over the place. it’s confusing.

Is there a general rule for what % of rrp a bike is worth after 12 or 24 months? How does mileage impact value?

Do bikes have paint codes like cars for colour matching scuffs?

Ive decided I want a Bosch motor and a alloy frame. I think carbon would be a bad idea for my first bike in 30 years.

Ive seen a Whyte bike I’m interested in and for a second considered a unregistered Santa Cruz bullit carbon. its a good price and it’s 2 mins away. But it’s lavender purple, carbon and has a shimano motor.

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
I’ve been looking at used bikes all day and prices are all over the place. it’s confusing.

Is there a general rule for what % of rrp a bike is worth after 12 or 24 months? How does mileage impact value?

Do bikes have paint codes like cars for colour matching scuffs?

Ive decided I want a Bosch motor and a alloy frame. I think carbon would be a bad idea for my first bike in 30 years.

Ive seen a Whyte bike I’m interested in and for a second considered a unregistered Santa Cruz bullit carbon. its a good price and it’s 2 mins away. But it’s lavender purple, carbon and has a shimano motor.
Make sure it still has warranty. You will need it!

Reactions: K78

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
My wife bought a 2 year used Giant E-road bike, gorgeous, with 150 miles on it. After about a month, we discovered the battery would not hold a charge. Called a shop, the said, oh, you are the second owner? Warranty doesn't transfer...

Make sure for sure, it does, or you are able to absorb the bill when it comes.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Do these bikes have frequent issues?

I thought they would be rugged and reliable?
Unfortunately, that is more the exception than the rule. If you do any looking around on this forum you will find those who are still on their first motor and those who may be passing their 5 or 6+ motor. Then there are the electrical issues that can plague some bikes. Some bikes appear to be more reliable than others according to the numbers on THIS forum but not all emtb owner have found this forum. Depending on what kind of riding you want to do, where you ride and how you maintain your bike, you might get away without any issues. Most likely not. The best advice has already been given, get a warranty and find a bike store that is close to you to repair it! Santa Cruz makes awesome bikes but their choice of colors are terrible! Bikes should only come in one color. Black! ;) YMMV.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I took the plunge and purchased
<-------- just over a year ago second hand.
It's been absolutely fine until just before Christmas & it threw a fault code. Turned out to be battery connection fault.
I was willing to take a risk & stand to any issues as I liked the bike.
You also have to be prepared for the same if you're considering second hand.
The initial price & future repair costs will need to be thought about if you're on a budget.
You may only want to look at bikes that have a service history.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I'd go with a heavily discounted new 22 bike, there are loads for sale. there was a trek rail posted on here for ~£3600.

I was tempted to say you could look out for a bargain, I know there will be plenty of people who have bought an expensive bike in the last 2 years and not ridden them much at all and will be selling them on at a massive loss this year, you might think thats a good deal but the fact that these type of people know nothing about bikes means that they might be doing more damage by barely riding them. I know loads of people personally that do things like this:
charge the bike to 100% and leave it for long periods in extreme hot/cold, then ride it for 10km on cycle paths, don't do any maintenance and put it back on charge again, and repeat the cycle 2 months later, and so on! so the bike may look shiny but it's really not been looked after.

also, don't take offence from this but if you are as you say, clueless, you might be better off with a new bike that you can just take to your local bike shop when things go wrong in the first 2 years.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I'd go with a heavily discounted new 22 bike, there are loads for sale. there was a trek rail posted on here for ~£3600.

I was tempted to say you could look out for a bargain, I know there will be plenty of people who have bought an expensive bike in the last 2 years and not ridden them much at all and will be selling them on at a massive loss this year, you might think thats a good deal but the fact that these type of people know nothing about bikes means that they might be doing more damage by barely riding them. I know loads of people personally that do things like this:
charge the bike to 100% and leave it for long periods in extreme hot/cold, then ride it for 10km on cycle paths, don't do any maintenance and put it back on charge again, and repeat the cycle 2 months later, and so on! so the bike may look shiny but it's really not been looked after.

also, don't take offence from this but if you are as you say, clueless, you might be better off with a new bike that you can just take to your local bike shop when things go wrong in the first 2 years.

I think you might be right.

Im good with electrics generally, but looking at the price of batteries and replacement parts. Used bikes can get expensive quickly.

The 2 bikes I was interested in are opposites. One was as you describe. A 2020 Whyte that has been barely used.
The other is a 22 Whyte with a few scuffs and a new cassette and chain.

I was leaning toward the older bike based on condition and number of charges.

My reasons for wanting second hand. less depreciation if I sell (not the plan, but my body isn’t as young as my head tells it) and I want to fit a speed box or similar. I thought it would invalidate the warranty?

Im going to keep a eye on the thread about discounted bikes and stay off eBay.

I have a history of expensive impulse purchases on eBay 😊

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Keep looking for a used one. You might meet someone like me who looks after their bike and keeps a maintenance log. Consider buying a used one from an LBS. The bike may have been sold new by them and is being sold for a customer. Or look at buying ex-demo / ex-hire bikes from the larger LBS places that are near trail centres.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
Keep looking for a used one. You might meet someone like me who looks after their bike and keeps a maintenance log. Consider buying a used one from an LBS. The bike may have been sold new by them and is being sold for a customer. Or look at buying ex-demo / ex-hire bikes from the larger LBS places that are near trail centres.
I would definitely take a used bike in the right circumstance.

The Santa Cruz local to me is a great price for a virtually new bike. Its just a bit much for my first bike.

I’ve not looked in any shops yet. Didn’t think the big stores would be worth bothering with and I’ve got used to buying a lot of things off eBay over the last few years. This is a bit different though, as I’m still learning and don’t know what to look out for.

I did find a shop a couple of miles aways from me that sell, service and build bikes. Want to get a bit more knowledge before I stop by.

I think If I buy used I will go for something nearly new with warranty or something that needs a bit of work. I think anything in between carries more of a risk.

I need to learn a bit more about maintaining bikes too. I seen a vid on YouTube last night that said it costs £3k a year to ride and maintain a emtb!

Nonsense surely? I just assumed it was click bait.

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
Like it was said already there is no general rule. Definitely it is easier to say what not to buy than the other way. For example not from rental company or bike which has very big mileage. Other thing there is no problem to actually replace engine or battery. I had on my last bike e8000 and I could easily swap it for e7000, ep800 and now for ep801 and ep601. So for me bike with no warranty should not cost more than around 50% of a new one since engine can be broken at any time on warranty or not and that needs to be calculated altogether.

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
One more thing from Shimano user perspective. 1st generation batteries from Shimano (BT-E8010, E8036, E8014 etc.) usually paired with 1st gen engines E8000 and E7000 have defected BMS (battery management system) that leads to much faster cell degradation. So for around 30+ recharge cycles battery health (no longer visible in shimano app) was lower then it should be and in some cases even lowered by 20% (which means also 20% less range). Remedy for that is to change battery to new one or cells inside battery or buy bike where battery is not from Shimano (ex. Focus, Orbea, Canyon).

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
From what I’ve looked at so far Specialized and Whyte seem to be my preference.

Slightly concerned about the Specialized motor. But I slightly prefer the look of their bikes, and it seems that they’re likely to have big discounts compared to Whyte.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Is a 27.5 bike a bad idea for mixed use?

Ill be riding on roads a lot.
I guess someone should have asked what type of "biking" you intend to do when you get an emtb as this forum is mostly focused on Electric Mountain Bikes with the assumption that you would be riding your bike primarily to enjoy the great outdoors, off road. Not to say you couldn't ride a mountain bike on the road but the tires would not be efficient and the bike would be really heavy! Most mtbs are 29" these days. 27.5" wheels are more for a specific purpose. YMMV.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I guess someone should have asked what type of "biking" you intend to do when you get an emtb as this forum is mostly focused on Electric Mountain Bikes with the assumption that you would be riding your bike primarily to enjoy the great outdoors, off road. Not to say you couldn't ride a mountain bike on the road but the tires would not be efficient and the bike would be really heavy! Most mtbs are 29" these days. 27.5" wheels are more for a specific purpose. YMMV.

ive got a lot of woodland where I live, but I will be using it for a 4 mile commute with steep hills. Thankfully not in rush hour or everyday.

I’ve not had a bike since I was a teenager. I never liked road bikes with skinny tyres and curved handle bars. Always preferred the stability of a mountain bike or BMX.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
ive got a lot of woodland where I live, but I will be using it for a 4 mile commute with steep hills. Thankfully not in rush hour or everyday.

I’ve not had a bike since I was a teenager. I never liked road bikes with skinny tyres and curved handle bars. Always preferred the stability of a mountain bike or BMX.
A 4 mile commute and woodlands... well you will be one of the coolest kids in town if you rock up on a Levo for sure! Be warned, emtbs may lead to better health and can become a money pit if you keep asking for "tips" on this forum! Make sure you can lock your bike up out of sight if you commute on it as there is no such thing as a thief proof lock, if they want it bad enough.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
From what I’ve looked at so far Specialized and Whyte seem to be my preference.

Slightly concerned about the Specialized motor. But I slightly prefer the look of their bikes, and it seems that they’re likely to have big discounts compared to Whyte.

they do fail. I would def advise to buy from a good LBS, and one that preferably keeps motors on the shelf, not sends off for them.

Specialized really look after their customers with warranty work, so the high failure rate to me isnt much of an issue, more an annoyance.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
Think I’m going to buy new.

Buying a used bike is hard work. I’m seeing 2020 bikes for £4500 when new versions of the same bike are £6000?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Think I’m going to buy new.

Buying a used bike is hard work. I’m seeing 2020 bikes for £4500 when new versions of the same bike are £6000?

I think that's a wise choice. Buying second hand you might well end up needing to replace consumable parts quite soon which all adds to the price.
It's worth buying new for the motor warranty.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I think that's a wise choice. Buying second hand you might well end up needing to replace consumable parts quite soon which all adds to the price.
It's worth buying new for the motor warranty.

A three year old battery is a concern, and as you say warranty is a big thing with these bikes.

I would have taken a chance on a 3 year old bike at 30-40% of the original price. No chance at 75%.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
good choice. which 2020 bikes are you looking at? I'd be worried about a battery being sat around for years not being used.
there are loads of 22 bikes at good prices, here's 2 examples:

Sale - Trek Rail 5 625w (Crimson/Lithium Grey) 2022
Orbea Rise H30 2022 | Tredz Bikes

I’ve looked at Whyte 160s, 160 rs and 180 rs, as well as Levo‘s and Kenevo‘s with alloy frame. Staying well away from carbon.

I think I’m more likely to buy Specialized because of their warranty.

Prices are great on the 2 bikes you posted. Will definitely look into them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles