Buddy Locator

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
Has anybody come across a riding buddy locator which does not rely on mobile phone connection.

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
ok Bambamoda, GoTennas looks interesting but overkill for what I had in mind. The whistle (which I have tried and is annoying) is probably closer to what I was looking for, something that would let me know my buddy was just behind without having to continually look back risking crashing into trees or rocks giving the functionality of a rear view mirror and was not too distracting to either of us. I tried mirrors, whistle, walkie talkie.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
ok Bambamoda, GoTennas looks interesting but overkill for what I had in mind. The whistle (which I have tried and is annoying) is probably closer to what I was looking for, something that would let me know my buddy was just behind without having to continually look back risking crashing into trees or rocks giving the functionality of a rear view mirror and was not too distracting to either of us. I tried mirrors, whistle, walkie talkie.
There are much simpler solutions :

2.jpg

Just looking at that picture and it looks like @steve_sordy installed the derailleur ...

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
BCA launched some radios for communication in backcountry environments particularly focussed at skiers and snowmobile riders.

I’m not entirely sure how successful they are. I’ve found PMR446 radios not to be great. Professional VHF sets are inflexible for me and you would need license I think. I’ve not found anything better than a satphone personally.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
put a bit of silicon spray on his brakes..........everyone in the forest will be a ble to hear him!!:ROFLMAO:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
BCA launched some radios for communication in backcountry environments particularly focussed at skiers and snowmobile riders.

I’m not entirely sure how successful they are. I’ve found PMR446 radios not to be great. Professional VHF sets are inflexible for me and you would need license I think. I’ve not found anything better than a satphone personally.

Problem with radios alone is that they won't provide location information if the other party is incapable of using the radio. I've looked at the Garmin Rinos over the years because I thought the concept was good, but never actually tried one in the field. Have you? The InReach will do it of course, but there are plenty of stories of InReach/Spot fails too.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Problem with radios alone is that they won't provide location information if the other party is incapable of using the radio. I've looked at the Garmin Rinos over the years because I thought the concept was good, but never actually tried one in the field. Have you? The InReach will do it of course, but there are plenty of stories of InReach/Spot fails too.

For Inreach, Spot and satphones to work you do need about a fairly clear 180 degree view of the sky. They are flaky in deep gorges for example but they remain the best choice all round. It depends what you need obviously and who you need to call :)

The popular professional choices currently are VHF radios, satphones or Inreach. Radios depend on a local network which we have in the alpes for professional users. Personally, satphones work for what I need. I do carry one in my pack when I’m out on my MTB, I have one and it would be mad not to take it out. I was out this afternoon in area that has no cell phone reception, there’s VHF coverage and satphone though.

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
Thanks for all the useful information, Garmin Rinos looked like a possible solution but uses illegal radio channels in the UK.
Making the breaks squeal is nearly a solution, I remember when I was a kid we used to put a lolly stick on the frame to rub on the spokes and that made the bike sound like motor bike. Whilst that would work, I don't think it would be acceptable.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for all the useful information, Garmin Rinos looked like a possible solution but uses illegal radio channels in the UK.

I thought that was probably the case but I didn't want to guess.

You may not know that satphones are cheaper than most people think. There's a PAYG option on most networks and you can generally buy good used phones off ebay. For example Thuraya is a good bet in Europe, they don't work in South America but mine works all over Europe, I found it wasn't great in Mongolia but you can rent an iridium or similar if needed.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Google maps location sharing works on GPS alone without the need for a mobile signal - you will need to download the area first when you've got a signal.

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
Thanks Darren, sorry for the late response I had the notifications turned off.
I had a good look at Google Maps but I couldn't see or imagine how position sharing could work without an internet connection of some kind. Even if it did work it would be difficult in practice for me as I need glasses to read my phone but not ride the bike.
The squealing breaks solution is the closest so far. I just need something that will let me know my buddy is still following no more than 75 metres away without being distracted by continuously having to monitor a screen.
As I have not seen a suitable solution I will put on my maker hat and try and build something.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Google maps location sharing works on GPS alone without the need for a mobile signal - you will need to download the area first when you've got a signal.
That won't share your location, only show where you are on the map. You will need mobile signal to share where you are unfortunately.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles