Broken spokes - time for new wheels?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Been getting broken spokes the last little while. Had the bike for a year. Put about 1500km on it. Always ride technical rocky rooty downhill black diamonds and drops. Thinking it might be time to replace the original E13 ESpec+?

For those of you who also ride similar DH trails, which wheels have you gone with?

I've almost replaced or broken everything apart from the frame and front fork (touch wood) now.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
If your wheel isn't dented up I would just replace spokes until you need to replace the wheel. I don't ride an eMTB, but I have busted quite a few stock wheels riding DH. When I rebuild wheels that I'm expecting to ride hard I go with DT Swiss ex511 in the front and e532 in the rear. They're on the heavy side, but you can count on them lasting a couple of seasons of abuse.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Been getting broken spokes the last little while. Had the bike for a year. Put about 1500km on it. Always ride technical rocky rooty downhill black diamonds and drops. Thinking it might be time to replace the original E13 ESpec+?

For those of you who also ride similar DH trails, which wheels have you gone with?

I've almost replaced or broken everything apart from the frame and front fork (touch wood) now.

I'd try and figure out why you're getting broken spokes - are they too narrow/lightweight? over tightened? wrong length?

If you're running tubeless, it can be a giant and expensive pain in the a$$ to be always breaking spokes - retaping the rim, more sealant, etc...

Maybe it's just an underbuilt wheel for the way you ride. Strong, light cheap - pick any two.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Thinking it might be time to replace the original E13 ESpec+?

I am in the same boat (no broken spokes) considering wheels.

Couple areas to note .... make sure your rear HUB is e-bike compatible and your freehub is not aluminum (steel is what you want ... especially if your running an 11sp shimano setup)

My first consideration (if you want to stay carbon) would be weareone wheels (out of Kamloops) as you can contact them and request a "custom mullet" set. I would go with a convert rim 27.5 in the back (35mm ID width) and the union rim 29" out front (30mm ID width).

The HUBS are Industry nine. I contacted I9 and they stated that their "original ---- torch hubs" are e-bike approved (but the new 1/1 are NOT recommended... weareone said they were .. so I would definitely follow up on this discrepancy)

The new DTSwiss Hybrid wheels (1501) are very nice too if your thinking aluminum .. and already set up for e-bike use. This would be my second choice.

Good luck

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Couple areas to note .... make sure your rear HUB is e-bike compatible and your freehub is not aluminum (steel is what you want ... especially if your running an 11sp shimano setup)

My first consideration (if you want to stay carbon) would be weareone wheels (out of Kamloops) as you can contact them and request a "custom mullet" set. I would go with a convert rim 27.5 in the back (35mm ID width) and the union rim 29" out front (30mm ID width).

The HUBS are Industry nine. I contacted I9 and they stated that their "original hydra hubs" are e-bike approved (but the new 1/1 are NOT recommended... weareone said they were .. so I would definitely follow up on this discrepancy)

The new DTSwiss Hybrid wheels (1501) are very nice too if your thinking aluminum .. and already set up for e-bike use. This would be my second choice.

Good luck

There are no stainless freehub bodies for the Hydras. I checked with I9 a couple months ago after notching the aluminum HG freehubs on my wheelset. There was a stainless freehub body for the older Torch hubs.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver

The HUBS are Industry nine. I contacted I9 and they stated that their "original hydra hubs" are e-bike approved (but the new 1/1 are NOT recommended... weareone said they were .. so I would definitely follow up on this discrepancy)

Good luck
All good options there. Just to note the existing wheels are not carbon: E*Thirteen

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
There are no stainless freehub bodies for the Hydras. I checked with I9 a couple months ago after notching the aluminum HG freehubs on my wheelset. There was a stainless freehub body for the older Torch hubs.

Correct .. sorry I meant the Torch hubs above (the freehub body is likely the determining factor and if the new 1/1 hubs or hydra hubs don't offer one .. than best to go with the original)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Correct .. sorry I meant the Torch hubs above (the freehub body is likely the determining factor and if the new 1/1 hubs or hydra hubs don't offer one .. than best to go with the original)

I've switched to only DT hubs for now on my eMTB and regular MTB for that reason. I have Hydras on my gravel bike and fatbike though. Over time I suspect I'll go with only DT hubs so I can keep fewer spare parts (bearings, freehub bodies) on hand.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I ended up going with NOBL wheels. Had them before previously on my Capra, and they do a TR41 for ebikes these days.

NOBL used to be local to me, but are now on Vancouver Island, so they'll have to ship the rims. Will post up a picture when I get them installed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles