Brand new Eagle cassette making strange noises

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
I took my bike to the LBS for maintenance. They replaced the worn out Eagle GX cassette for a new one, the X01 chain was replaced by a XX1, because that's what they had in store.
When I came to fetch it, they told me the new cassette produced a strange crackle sound in 1st and 2nd gear under heavy load. They had swapped out the cassette again but the sound remained.
I made a quick video demonstration. Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Take it back to the LBS to sort…,
They are the experts who take your hard earn cash for a service they provide. Personally I would not have taken the bike home, I would have left it until the bike performed perfectly as you would expect

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Is the cassette spinning on the freehub splines ? You'd have more torque in those gears than the others so if the splines were worn or somehow wrong cassette ?!?!
No spinning, just this blistering sound, when applying high torque. Went on a "peaceful" family tour today and of course could not reproduce the issue. Will do some more testing on my own and bring it back to my LBS, if necessary. I just find it strange not to find anything about this on the WWW.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Umlikely to be a cassette or chain problem if both are new. When in the 2 biggest cogs the chainline is at its extreme and I think the chain is likely not sitting properly on a worn chainring.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
If you didn't have this noise before the LBS changed out parts then the buck stops with them
Take it back its there problem to fix not yours .

On the other hand if it was there before they got hold of it that's a totally different matter (y)

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
My first response would be to have the LBS fix it since they swapped it and I’m assuming you paid for it. Pretty much impossible to have two cassettes in a row be defective, pretty unlikely to have even one haha.

looks like they are taking the easy road if they just replaced it and hoped for the best.

with that being said, it’s probably just the tension adjustment on the derailleur. These 12 speeds can be a pain sometimes but not impossible.

here’s my thoughts if you want to tackle anything yourself:

1. Did they replace the chain with the same length? (Cut links correctly)
  2. since you’re experiencing the issue when not in the highest or lowest gear as well, it’s not a high or low limit screw issue. BUT, that’s not to say the high/low limit screws don’t also need adjustment
  3. check the B tension. SRAM’S new adjustment tool (the white one) is actually pretty great and simple. Ideally it should be set while preloaded (rider on the bike). B tension can affect shifting in all gears.
  4. play with the cable adjustment barrel on your shifter. You can make drastic changes and see how it affects the sound. While pedaling, rotate it 2-4 clicks in one direction (1 click at a time every second or so). Listen to how it reacts. Then try rotating in the opposite direction and do the same. Listen how it sounds and feels, is there a point where the sound goes away, and a point where it gets drastically worse?
that’s a starting point :)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
This is a follow-up after a few days of riding. The clicking sound is gone, so apparently everything just had to settle (whatever that might be). Bike feels great, no noise under load, so probably no need to contact LBS (although they might have the new Levo SL in store next week 🤔).
Thanks for the update (y)
So many posts get left un answered its nice to see one finished with a result .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles