Will an eagle GX chain work with the new Eagle Transmission?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Just broke my chain. Stuck in Wales, no local shops have the new eagle chain. I have a regular eagle GX chain, will it work?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Pretty sure it will not work, I have read the chains were different to work with the new cog stack.

Check the link above, says Eagle chains work with T-Type Transmission, but T-Type chains won’t work with Eagle Transmission.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Just stick another 12spd quick link on it?

SRAM says Transmission chain rings are compatible with Eagle Chains, but not the other way around, so a GX will work.

CHAIN RINGS! that has nothing to do with the cog stack. The chain ring is the one on the crank. Please reread your link. The only backwards compatibility is the CHAIN RING.

Btw , lol at buying t type anything.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
CHAIN RINGS! that has nothing to do with the cog stack. The chain ring is the one on the crank. Please reread your link. The only backwards compatibility is the CHAIN RING.

Btw , lol at buying t type anything.

A rear cassette is just made up of 12 chain rings…

Think about it, why would you run a Transmission front chain ring with an Eagle cassette?

I think the link could be clearer to be fair, but a GX chain would I’m sure get you out of a fix, if for some reason you couldn’t fix a T-Type chain with another power link.

I’m not a T fan either, for what it’s worth!

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
A rear cassette is just made up of 12 chain rings…

Think about it, why would you run a Transmission front chain ring with an Eagle cassette?

I think the link could be clearer to be fair, but a GX chain would I’m sure get you out of a fix, if for some reason you couldn’t fix a T-Type chain with another power link.

I’m not a T fan either, for what it’s worth!
Been riding long? Cogs are not chain rings. Chain rings just pull the chain, cogs are designed to allow the chain to climb and drop up and down the stack. The t type cog stakes are narrow wide but sculpted for the t type chain. You want to trash a REALLY expensive cog stack, put a non t type chain on it.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Been riding long? Cogs are not chain rings. Chain rings just pull the chain, cogs are designed to allow the chain to climb and drop up and down the stack. The t type cog stakes are narrow wide but sculpted for the t type chain. You want to trash a REALLY expensive cog stack, put a non t type chain on it.

Not really any need for the condescending attitude is there? 🤷‍♂️

Have a great day.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you think about what @Tooks is saying, if it works with the chainring, which is narrow wide, there's no reason it won't work with the cassette. Yes, the cassette is also narrow wide, but it won't know if it's a T chain or GX they're both narrow wide by their very nature. The only difference is the flat top which doesn't run against the chainring or cassette.

Need to update the t type compatibility thread.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles