Brand new cube charging problem

Gazbomb

Sep 11, 2021
Essex
Hi just received my cube reaction hybrid but having a problem charging. the purion display shows 2 bars of battery when I plug in charger to bike it doesnt do anything no light no pulsing nothing same when I connect to the battery directly I think maybe charger is faulty as the bikes battery shows and holds charge from factory any ideas will be greatly appreciated.cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Duplicate of existing thread, but not much more information.

@Gazbomb Still not sure what "pulsing" you're talking about - you mean the battery bar flashes ? (or doesn't in your case).

If the bike is off and you plug in a charger, the display comes on and shows you two bars ? but the third bar doesn't flash ?

Theoretically, if the charger isn't working, the display shouldn't activate as it should only activate if there's power from the charger. There's normally a click in the charger at the same time - as the relay engages.

It's grasping at straws, but have you checked the fuse in the plug and also tried a different wall socket.

Gazbomb

Sep 11, 2021
Essex
Duplicate of existing thread, but not much more information.

@Gazbomb Still not sure what "pulsing" you're talking about - you mean the battery bar flashes ? (or doesn't in your case).

If the bike is off and you plug in a charger, the display comes on and shows you two bars ? but the third bar doesn't flash ?

Theoretically, if the charger isn't working, the display shouldn't activate as it should only activate if there's power from the charger. There's normally a click in the charger at the same time - as the relay engages.

It's grasping at straws, but have you checked the fuse in the plug and also tried a different wall socket.
Hi no when I plug it into bike no power flashes up on display the other thing is they've sent me a charger with only a 2 pin so I have to plug it into a uk adapter

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi no when I plug it into bike no power flashes up on display the other thing is they've sent me a charger with only a 2 pin so I have to plug it into a uk adapter
OK. That does sound like the charger or cable or connector are duff ..

You can buy a replacement uk spec power cable for the charger. Just search ebay/amazon for C7 cable.

It could also be the adapter that's not working - though they're very simple.

If you have an electrical screwdriver you can put it in the earth socket to open the socket holes and then just about force the 2 pin euro plug in .. obviously not advisable to do this, but would let you test it if you don't have another similar cable you could test - ie, printer, ps4 - lots of things use that type c7 cable.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This does sound like a charger issue. You’re already begun the process of eliminating any faulty connections with the Purion display (4wire connection to motor) and any terminal connections from your bike to the battery by isolating the battery charging directly. There is a small relay within the charger which you can hear (2-3 seconds) after all connections are made or the the direct battery charging process begins. It could be your power source ( solution from Zimerframe). If you can borrow a similar charger from somewhere(Bosch charger I assume) with the same amperage (4amp-6amp)you could eliminate or detect a faulty charger. I would listen for the “click” of the relay within the charger. If that doesn’t help, see if you can charge the battery to full power with another charger.(more than 2bars). Your LBS may be able to help but for a small fee if you purchased on-line. I’m not sure if this is a battery problem but you could isolate a faulty battery also.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles