Levo Gen 2 Brake upgrade for turbo levo 2020?

Manxbiker

Jul 20, 2020
Isle of man
I bought a base model turbo levo in June, but have found the brakes are pretty poor, even tried different pads but still don't seem very good so I'm looking at upgrading them

Can anybody tell me a decent set to get and will I need new rotors too?

Also is it difficult to replace the brakes?

Any help, info and link to suitable brakes appreciated (y)

CrzyMD

Jun 30, 2018
Bakersfield, CA., USA
Choosing brakes is somewhat of a personal choice. First you have to find the brakes that give you the feel you desire. SRAM brakes are mushy, and the bite point changes all the time.
Personally, I run Hopes V3 T4. 4 pot pistons, beautifully constructions from CAD/CAM billet aluminum. And in many colors if that is important to you. And parts availability is outstanding.
One problem you may have (and this is only what I have read). The braided cables will not go thru the inside of the frame tunnels. Hope says it should be no problem as both the stock cables and the braided cables, both measure 5mm.
Any brake on an e-bikes will burn thru pads quickly.
One thing you may try and a whole lot cheaper is the Deslackinators. These are little 3D printer plastic blocks that take up the slack in the CODE/SRAM brakes (half the damn lever throw is just slack on those crappy brakes!)
Here is the link: Deslackinators™ for SRAM® Guide and Code-R Brakes – Matter-Replicator
I have a set of Hope's on order. If it weren't for the Deslackinators, I would have already taken the SRAM Code brakes off and trash canned them.
If you want some real stopping power, the Trick Stuff brakes will stop an aircraft carrier! But the downside is that they are EXPENSIVE, and the backorder on them is 9 months.
Hope that helps.
Doc

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Another vote for the Magura MT7s. I also switched to Magura 220 mm rotors. Now, even on weekends when I have slow multiple times for hikers on all my favorite fast decents, I have no fade and no howling from overheated pads like I used to get with the SRAMs. The Maguras provide good modulation, which is the one thing the SRAMs did right.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I just ordered Magura MT7s for my 2019 Expert. Excited to try them based on the reviews. Need to now settle on 203 vs 220 rotors
I rock the Magura MT7's on my Spesh Levo S-Works. Like them so much, switching out the Sram Code RSC's on my YT Decoy Elite to them. Like CrzyMD so eloquently stated, brakes are a matter of preference. I have really like Hope brakes as well.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Shimano Saint or Zee are a good option too. When your bike is 20+kgs, four pot brakes are a must really, preferably with sintered pads. My personal preference is for brakes that use mineral oil. After riding my bike at Chch bike park, my brother fitted Zee brakes to his RM Element because he loved the power and feel of my Saint units.

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
Magura MT7, to use 220mm rotor you'll need to buy a QM45 for each rotor and 2 x M6/30mm bolt for the front (not sure for the rear).

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
I bought a base model turbo levo in June, but have found the brakes are pretty poor, even tried different pads but still don't seem very good so I'm looking at upgrading them

I swapped my Guide RE brakes for Shimano Saint but just rode my buddy's bike which still has the Guide REs but with Galfer 180mm rotors and that bike had some serious stopping power. Impressive.
You could likely just swap to new rotors 1st and see where that gets you.

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany

Hi, I ordered a 2020 levo yesterday. I got a good price on last year's model and I am spending the saving before the bike has been delivered!! Which brakes did you go for in the end. And did you change the forks out, or find them to be Ok?

Thanks
Rich

Manxbiker

Jul 20, 2020
Isle of man
So I've finally decided to go for the mt7 and 220 rotors, not sure if I should attempt to fit them myself or put it in the shop,
Anyone who has fitted them, were they easy enough to do, only thing I'm worried about is pulling the rear hose though the frame and then bleeding them

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I went mt7 220 mm rotor on the front 200 mm rotor on the back I fitted and bled them myself

The front was obviously easy
the rear if you remove the cable clamps behind the rear shock and remove the fixing that holds the brake hose down by the caliper

try to the connect the old pipe to the new pipe by using a broken screw as you push on the new hose kinda pull on the old hose gently ans slowly and it works a treat

Regarding bleeding they are actually the easiest brakes I’ve ever bled ,,,!!!
I could never bleed Sram brakes I was useless but the MT 7 were easy Just make sure you use the blue royal blood and the biggest thing don’t over tighten the bleed screw they literally made a plastic first one I did I snapped it they almost want finger tight only.

Hope this helps

Manxbiker

Jul 20, 2020
Isle of man
I went mt7 220 mm rotor on the front 200 mm rotor on the back I fitted and bled them myself

The front was obviously easy
the rear if you remove the cable clamps behind the rear shock and remove the fixing that holds the brake hose down by the caliper

try to the connect the old pipe to the new pipe by using a broken screw as you push on the new hose kinda pull on the old hose gently ans slowly and it works a treat

Regarding bleeding they are actually the easiest brakes I’ve ever bled ,,,!!!
I could never bleed Sram brakes I was useless but the MT 7 were easy Just make sure you use the blue royal blood and the biggest thing don’t over tighten the bleed screw they literally made a plastic first one I did I snapped it they almost want finger tight only.

Hope this helps
Great thanks, I've got the brakes ordered so I'll give it a go when they get here ?

TrackRat

May 26, 2020
SchnellerGT981
Did the upgrade myself a couple of weeks ago. 220 front and rear. But the rockshox double barb connector. Worked awesome. Cut the rear hydraulic line at the caliper, connect to the new line and pull it thru from the top. Know that once it’s all together you need to follow the bedding procedure. Mine felt pretty weak until the pads were bedded in (do a really good job bleeding the rears) but are incredible now. Zero doubt that I can get it hauled down from my fastest runs

itsanebikething

Jan 5, 2021
Scotland
I’d recommend hope v4 brakes. Very reliable and if something does go wrong every part is available as a spare. Loads of modulation and you can set up the reach and bite points independently. Available in lots of different colours to suit your bike. Prob lighter weight than your current brakes. Run hope brakes for the past 15 years and very rarely have an issue with them.

Jack_is_Back

Jan 13, 2021
UK
I didn't like the Guide REs either - far too much lever travel plus I just prefer the feel of Shimano brakes generally. I went with Saints and 200mm XT rotors - much happier now.

Also took the opportunity to junk the SRAM shifter and mech for XT, actually shifts loads better even with the same cassette and chain. Had to swap the dropper lever also as it's MM so got a Wolf Tooth - expensive but an improvement over the standard.

Lovely clean cockpit and improved the worst bits of the bike for me (2020 Levo Comp) - cost a few quid all in all but worth it.

Ami

Oct 25, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Upgraded my 2019 XL Comp to the Code RSC's, Sram 220 rotors and using sintered metallic pads from Trucker. For me @ 230lbs, that all works great! I have other Levo's in my stable with Guide's that I will be converting over to this same set-up.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Upgraded my 2019 XL Comp to the Code RSC's, Sram 220 rotors and using sintered metallic pads from Trucker. For me @ 230lbs, that all works great! I have other Levo's in my stable with Guide's that I will be converting over to this same set-up.
I couldn't get the MT7 anywhere so went with Hope v4s and 220 front and back. I'm 240lbs all in and the guides are not the greatest

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
I absolutely love the shimano slx 4 piston m7120’s. So much so I’m ordering them for my regular bike as well. They have been awesome on my levo on very steep and long descents. No fade whatsoever run after run. I’m super impressed.

Matched with 203mm rotors

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles