Brake pad recommendations

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all I've tried various pads to varying success my giant has tektro brakes uses Shimano Saint pads I've settled on sintered as once hot they seem to work better resin seem to overheat ? What brands are people using I wanted some trickstuff 260 power pads but there's just isn't any so any suggestions welcome ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi Nicole got 203mm front and rear tbh I've got deore levers on my tektro brakes they work well but I've tried a few pads and there seems to be alot of variation to power off them I ran gorilla pads that worked great but the material separated off the backing plate so I don't trust them I'm just like a bit of power I'm considering sticking Saint calipers on but that's alot more than pads lol

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
F*ck knows what are put into bike brake pads.. An amalgamation of rubber, Kevlar, graphene, silicone, iron, copper and whatever else is lying on the factory floor. all I know is, some mixtures are bonded together with resin, and some are compressed together before sintering.
Try best of both worlds and get semi metallic. Who knows how much of each ingredient are put into branded pads?‍♂️

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've been using KoolStop organics in all my brakes for years. I've found they're as good as OEM, and sometimes better than other third-party manufacturers. And they're less expensive than OEM.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Just don't go to MTX pads, load of rubbish.
Just curious as I'm looking around for some decent pads. Have you had a bad experience with MTX pads? I was under the impression they were very good? Certainly more at the expensive end here in NZ...

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
@Philly G

I didn't like them at all, so much so I stopped riding my bike and lost all interest in it, sounds a bit dramatic I know, it took me three times to bed them in properly, well I thought it did because they just weren't right, 3rd time I decided I couldn't bed them in any differently and that they were just bad, I still have them on but don't ride my bike as much now, they don't stop my bike as good as the original ones and when wet make just as much noise as the olds ones, maybe even more. Defiantly not worth the money, in fact I wouldn't use them if they were free, I will thrash them more and then put the originals back on.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Kiwibloke good to know, that's put me right off trying those pads... @Farmernz bro pads are budget-friendly pads made in Queenstown. I have a set but haven't had a chance to try them yet. These Aussies seemed to really like them Bro Bike NZ: Brake Pad Review
Also worth considering are these "GPVN" pads (read the description )from Christchurch store Outspoken...unfortunately not currently available for my Hope E4s

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I'm riding bro pads. I only got them cos they were on the shop counter & seen a few recommendations on FB (knowing NZ prob from their mates :) ). They seem alright - no better or worse than the usual. Actually in saying that prob not as noisy to bed in as the last set of sintered pads & they seem to have lasted pretty well.

Plus 'Cintas endorses them so they can't be bad 😻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles