Other Bottom Bracket bearings on a motor!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Right now that the spurious title has got people reading ?

On a non-ebike its been typical for me to replace bottom bracket bearings on an annual basis as I mash them up with mud/grit/etc etc.

Conscious the bottom bracket is replaced with a motor in the world of ebikes so

Is there any form of servicing people are aware of that we need to be doing for the equivalent of the BB bearings on the Brose motors? Or if not, how are the motors protected from dirt ingress which is a cause of the common BB issues on non-ebikes?

Cheers

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Cheers, sounds like the Brose motors are a clean only item rather than maintain. Then on failure they need to be rebuilt.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Mmm. I was just about to ask this question, but found this thread.

To clarify, there is no separate, replaceable bottom bracket on an eMTB, correct? If you hear/feel grinding/looseness/anything weird (that for a normal mountain bike could be solved by simply replacing the BB), you'd need to get the motor serviced by a bike shop?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Certainly the motors are just replaced when the fail
I think if the motor is still under warranty then you do not have to service it

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
I guess I was just a bit naïve and assumed the BB was independent somehow, or just a consumer-replaceable item that could be swapped quite easily when necessary.

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Some analogue BBs are press-fit, so not necessarily trivial to change. If you like taking stuff apart then a bearing change on a motor need not be a challenge. These guys PerformanceLineBearings do a motor overhaul service. Because they're doing it every day, and have ready access to parts, they might be better at it than your local bike shop.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Basically they should be replaceable, its just a product of our throwaway society these days. Anything is repairable with the right parts and knowledge!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
it makes me think that press fit BB's in the last few years have just been made to require constant maintenance to drum up some business

i've had to replace BB's yearly on all my bikes previously, they just don't last at all. now we are told the e bike motor has no bearings to service??

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Press Fit BB's have been an utter nightmare on my Bikes over the years.
Having to take to the local bike mechanic to fix not even every 1000 miles! Costing me £60 a time.
The last one has been a farce! I last did it only a month ago and I'm already having problems!
E Bike motors are way better, get replaced for free under warranty and climb really well as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles