Levo Gen 2 Bottle Cage Screws?

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
Need to replace some missing bottle cage screws. What size and length are these and where can I get them?

1630362554494.png

MiTurboComp

Oct 18, 2022
Florida
I’m reviving this thread for a related issue. After removing MY Spesh Gen2 Levo‘s cage to apply protective film, I found the allen screws would no longer grab the frame?!

What am I missing?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’m reviving this thread for a related issue. After removing MY Spesh Gen2 Levo‘s cage to apply protective film, I found the allen screws would no longer grab the frame?!

What am I missing?

You’re missing what I was missing!

The machine screws don’t thread into the frame at all, but rather they go into a plastic cable holder with brass taps that sits inside the frame underneath those holes.

When you removed the screws to apply the film, the cable guide/holder will have moved.

It’s a fiddly job to realign it, it’s a battery out job and then try to hold it tight up against the inside of the frame again (I used a piece of wood) to catch the threads with the machine screws.

When I fitted a FidLock bottle holder, I removed only one screw at a time so that holder/guide couldn’t move.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Are you guys sure you are talking about Gen2 frames? Because I removed the bottle cage multiple times without problems and it seemed that threads are in the frame ... Gen3 frames are different story though ...

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Are you guys sure you are talking about Gen2 frames? Because I removed the bottle cage multiple times without problems and it seemed that threads are in the frame ... Gen3 frames are different story though ...

Ah yes, I’m talking Gen3, but from what @MiTurboComp is describing, it must be a similar issue? The threads won’t just disappear from the frame, not both of them anyway, as I know sometimes threaded inserts or rivnuts can go walkies. Usually not both of them though.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
You’re missing what I was missing!

The machine screws don’t thread into the frame at all, but rather they go into a plastic cable holder with brass taps that sits inside the frame underneath those holes.

When you removed the screws to apply the film, the cable guide/holder will have moved.

It’s a fiddly job to realign it, it’s a battery out job and then try to hold it tight up against the inside of the frame again (I used a piece of wood) to catch the threads with the machine screws.

When I fitted a FidLock bottle holder, I removed only one screw at a time so that holder/guide couldn’t move.
Yup. A truly wank piece of design. I took mine off to put on invisiframe wrap. Been fiddling for two hours and gave up before I damaged the bike or myself through sheer frustration
1708879224059.png

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Finally managed it! Some cuts and bruises on my hands, but the bottle cage is now fitted. I managed not to damage the bike :)
For future visitors to this page (who knows - maybe even me!):
  1. You need your bike upright, e.g. hanging from it's seat post. Battery out. Having small hands would probably make it easier too!
  2. Take one of the screws in your teeth (forget about the bottle cage for now)
  3. Shine a light into one hole with one hand and press the plastic guide (see pics above) up to the hole with the other so that you can see the brass thread is lined up. And take account of the angle from which you are looking! Press really hard to flatten it out (the twisting of the guide was the biggest problem). I started with the hole nearest the motor.
  4. Screw in the screw. This will need lots of attempts! Once you get it in, tighten it almost fully.
  5. With the first screw in, doing the same job with the second should be easier. You'll still need to press up hard on the guide.
  6. Screw one screw tightly to hold the guide in place. Remove the other screw and test that it now screws in easily. Now attach the cage with this screw, turned 90° to the down tube. Screw in tightly.
  7. Undo the other screw, rotate the cage around and screw back in.
  8. Go make yourself a nice cuppa. You bloody deserve it!
And for the future: Only ever loosen one bottle cage screw at a time. One must always be tight. Like I said, wank design.

fone

Sep 27, 2023
Bavarian Outback
It took me some hours to re-align the threads because of the extremely twisty (long dropper cable makes it worse) and also bent plastic guide and I scratched the frame of my wifes Levo a little bit. (don't tell her).
At least she has the fidlock bottle cage - I am still using the stock specialized one. Since 12 months now. :lol:

Although I must admit my plastic piece is not as bent as hers. so it should be easier. Maybe some day...

Terrible design, especially since people generally like to change teh bottle cage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles