• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Bosch Speed signal manipulation detected (Error 525001) after using Walk mode for a long period of time?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I've been using Walk mode a lot today for prolonged periods while the bike was in a workshop stand to try to diagnose a clicking sound and set my gears up perfectly. While listening for the clicking sound I needed my head down near the cranks and drivetrain so I kept the walk mode button held down with a cable tie.

After a couple of hours of on and off walk mode use the bike just stopped and an error appeared on the Flow app and now every time I switch the bike on the error pops up on the Kiox screen and I have to press OK to clear it:

Screenshot_20230830_184642_Flow.jpg

20230830_184749.jpg

Is there any way to clear that completely so it doesn't pop up every time I turn the bike on? Also I've not tried riding it yet since the error popped up, is it even still rideable?

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Update, went outside, turned the bike on, cleared the error by pressing ok, tried riding it and the assist kept kicking in and out about every 2 seconds and the error came back on the screen. Turned it off and on again, cleared the error again by pressing ok and now it seems ok, the assist is working and the error isn't coming back so hopefully that's the end of it.

I just looked at my statistics in the Flow app and it's logged the 'ride' that was done today in my garage while I was tinkering with my gears and apparently it had done 10 miles in walk mode!! I didn't think I'd been messing with it for that long! I wonder what triggered the manipulation error, obviously I haven't tampered with anything or even touched the magnet or sensor so too much distance covered in walk mode?, or not it enough resistance maybe as the bike was in a stand? Odd that it managed 10 miles before having a paddy about it.

Anyone know what exactly would have triggered that? I use walk mode for wiping down and lubing my chain so want to avoid any more errors if I can.

Just found this on the Bosch website, I'm pretty sure my bike isn't in limp mode any more but I did only do a quick test, does this mean I might have to ride it for 90 mins in limp mode?!! I need to go on a ride on Friday and I doubt I'll have time between now and then to do a 90 min ride in bloody limp mode.
Screenshot_20230830_193443_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can only imagine you are right in thinking th error was detected because the rear wheel had no resistance and the walk mode speed limit probably takes a ccount of that typical resistance when the motor is having to push just the weight of the bike.....let alone go uphill!
Whether you have a continued problem with limp mode is probably only confirmed by a dealer.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I can only imagine you are right in thinking th error was detected because the rear wheel had no resistance and the walk mode speed limit probably takes a ccount of that typical resistance when the motor is having to push just the weight of the bike.....let alone go uphill!
Whether you have a continued problem with limp mode is probably only confirmed by a dealer.
Yeah seems my only option is to see if the error and/or limp mode comes back again tomorrow and if it does take it to the dealer and get them to clear it. According to that screenshot from the Bosch website you can clear it yourself 3 times by fixing whatever you 'tampered' with and ride it for 90 mins in limp mode but after the 3rd attempt the dealer has to clear it.

I've known loads of people use walk mode for various things like cleaning and lubing the drivetrain and setting up gears etc without issue, I've always lubed my chains like that and not had an issue, admittedly today though the bike did do 10 miles in the stand which is way way way more than it usually does when I'm doing something with it, so duration or distance must factor into it somewhere as well as probably resistance.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk

it takes 90mins riding in limp home mode to clear. After the 3rd time it's off to the dealer.

It has happened to me at work, I pedaled around in circles for a while then rode home, note that after 90mins you have to turn the bike off then back on to get power back.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK

it takes 90mins riding in limp home mode to clear. After the 3rd time it's off to the dealer.

It has happened to me at work, I pedaled around in circles for a while then rode home, note that after 90mins you have to turn the bike off then back on to get power back.
Thanks, it's weird because after a 2 min ride in limp mode yesterday and turning it off and on again the bike seemed to work fine again, I kept it on for 5 mins and it all seemed ok, and turning it off and on again after than didn't show an error. I'll go for a quick ride after work today if I can and see what's what.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Update, had a chance to ride the bike this morning and it powered up and worked fine with no errors and no limp mode. Weird that it triggered the error the other day and was seemingly in limp mode at that time but now it's ok even though the Bosch documentation states after erro 525001 is triggered it should be locked in limp mode until 90 mins of riding is complete.

I'm annoyed that walk mode in a workstand caused the error in the first place because having that ability makes some jobs much easier.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What we're the symptoms of limp mode? I ask because on a recent ride I ran over a hidden broken off Bush and my sensor cable was snagged pulling the sensor from it's holder on the chainstay. Easy fix to fit it back in but then when I tried riding the bike the motor assist just pulsed on and off. I had to switch off and leave it for a few minutes before switching back on and then it was back to normal. Was that limp mode? If so it suggests a pcb component like a capacitor needed time to discharge??

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
That was the exact same symptoms I had, the assist was cutting in and out every second, switching on and off a few times fixed it. Obviously in my case it threw an error code as well which led back to Bosch's statement about it needing a 90min ride to reset so not sure what that was all about because I didn't need to do that.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can't remember if kiox gave me a code...I remember it said sensor error which prompted me to take a look. It could be as I said a capacitor holding limp mode for a while but given time to discharge allows normal operation provided the reason for limp mode operation is removed. I have ridden my bike for hours since with no issues. Thanks for the info.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles