Bosch Performance Line Gen 3 vs Shimano EP8

Chercheur91

Oct 19, 2021
NSW, AUSTRALIA
At present I have an entry level eMTB hardtail running a Bosch Drive Unit Performance Line Gen 3 (65Nm) Cruise (250Watt).
I am planning on upgrading to a dual suspension eMTB and am currently strongly considering a bike that runs on the Shimano EP8.
  • Does anyone know what the Shimano EP8 motor might be like in comparison to the Performance Line Gen 3 Cruise?
  • Would it be as powerful? As responsive?
  • Would they get similar range expectancy?
I’ve read that the EP8 motor makes a knocking noise but that’s not a massive deal breaker as my current setup is already fairly noisy.

Riding Style: Mostly beginner flow trails (with small airtime), but I am building confidence to start intermediate trails.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Shimano EP8 has up to 85Nm of torque available, which is a massive 30% more than your Gen3's 65Nm.

Therefore it has more instantaneous power and will blow your mind. For each of its main power modes Eco, Trail and Boost, the motor can be set up with ten different acceleration curves from 1- "old maid" to 10- "Traffic Lights grand Prix". How soon the power comes in after pressing the pedal has five levels too. You can also set the max torque. Once you have done that it will be called "Profile 1". You can then set a wholly different "Profile 2". Maybe one for performance and one for economy?

The range will depend upon the size of the battery, the profile you set up and how much you use the various bands of Eco, Trail and Boost. But on my Merida eOne Sixty it forecasts that I can get 110 miles in Eco from the 630Whr battery. I never get that because I hardly ever use Eco. It will also depend upon your riding weight, the stickiness of your tyres and how much height gain you plan upon.

There is a slight tapping noise that can occur when you are not pedalling, ie the chain is not in tension which allows a roller bearing clutch to rattle (one of the reasons why the EP8 has 30% less friction than the e8000). But to describe it as a knocking noise is an exaggeration. Some riders cannot stand it and will not buy any bike with an EP8. When I first got the EP8 I listened hard for it and I was very pleasantly surprised by how quiet the noise was. After a few rides I hardly ever notice it.

The Shimano e8000 and its replacement the EP8 are both rated for the naturalness of the ride feel. I would concur, I chose my first emtb because it was the first bike that just felt like a normal bike (I tried 8 different bikes).

However Bosch's latest Performance Line also has 85Nm and many riders prefer the Bosch because of its power characteristics; it is able to generate more power at low revs than the Shimano EP8. Rob did a motor comparison recently climbing a steep hill and the Bosch beat the EP8. If climbing is important to you, then consider the Bosch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles