Bosch Performance line CX service requirements?

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
I've had my Mondi Crafty fitted with the Bosch Smart stuff /Performance line CX motor for approaching a year and wondered what the service requirments were. Checked on the flow app and nothing appears to mention it, & was unclear if it was going to alert me when one was due of it was hours/mileage based? Anyways I searched the online Bosch websites and found nothing so pinged them a service query. The answer they returned was as follows.
"Thank you for contacting Bosch eBike Team.
We suggest/advice you perform an Software update of the Bosch components 2 times per year. That is usually the only service needed (could depend on what type of use of course).
The bike dealer can add a service reminder to the ebike next time you visit them. The reminder can be a future date or when the odometer reaches a certain number.
Thank you and have a lovely day."

So from that it would appear that If I dont have any issues that need a visit to a dealer, applying the downloable software updates via the flow app bosch appear to ask for nothing more to keep warrenty upto date.
Note they didnt say that any alert would appear on the bike /or flow app so any such message may only occur if an internal issue is detected. Am I reading this right ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I've had my Mondi Crafty fitted with the Bosch Smart stuff /Performance line CX motor for approaching a year and wondered what the service requirments were. Checked on the flow app and nothing appears to mention it, & was unclear if it was going to alert me when one was due of it was hours/mileage based? Anyways I searched the online Bosch websites and found nothing so pinged them a service query. The answer they returned was as follows.
"Thank you for contacting Bosch eBike Team.
We suggest/advice you perform an Software update of the Bosch components 2 times per year. That is usually the only service needed (could depend on what type of use of course).
The bike dealer can add a service reminder to the ebike next time you visit them. The reminder can be a future date or when the odometer reaches a certain number.
Thank you and have a lovely day."

So from that it would appear that If I dont have any issues that need a visit to a dealer, applying the downloable software updates via the flow app bosch appear to ask for nothing more to keep warrenty upto date.
Note they didnt say that any alert would appear on the bike /or flow app so any such message may only occur if an internal issue is detected. Am I reading this right ?
Motor mount torque (20nm), motor mount brackets, castle nut torque…that seems to be the extent of my service on a Bosch CX Gen 4 motor. I wish there was more. After almost 4 years I consider myself lucky…but I know the day will come.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
there is no maintainence your lbs will charge 25quid and probably not even check the torque of the bolts.
the only thing that you might want to do is replace the bosch grease behind the seals on each side of the motor but you need to take the cranks off to do it.

IDK what thew alternatives are but if you were to do it yourself then Bosch have their own stuff.
Unless you ride in the pouring rain or use a pressure washer than it's probably all still there.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
In the past three days I’ve dropped 2 motors on some HT Powerfly’s.

The new SMRT system motor was dropped to install a OneUp dropper, because the bike didn’t have a dropper. I noticed that the motor electrical sockets are a different size(smaller?). While the motor is dropped, there are two wires/cables that are reserved for a headlight and taillight. Most of the time I completely remove these but it leaves two open sockets on the motor. There’s plug’s(kit) available but the sockets are slightly smaller on the newer motors. Btw, I generally wipe a small amount of dia-electric grease around the seals only (it doesn’t take much).

Since my son-in-law will never use the on-board lights I removed the wires. But I didn’t have plugs for the open sockets. I’ll order a set/kit for this. In the meantime I cut the wire (2) and used the connector as a plug.

Yesterday I installed a Kiox kit on my PF5. What a friggen job that was.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Note they didnt say that any alert would appear on the bike
But they did say: „The bike dealer can add a service reminder to the ebike next time you visit them“

That‘s a programmable function in the Bosch diagnostic system the dealer uses. They can either set a future date, a mileage value or both to trigger a service alert. The alert will show in the flow app and some of the displays.

In general it is the bike manufacturer that recommends or expects regular service intervals to maintain warranty and not Bosch.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s my understanding that the LBS can set the service interval for your computer. Since I just installed a Kiox on my PF, I will ride to the LBS (Trek) today and set the service intervals for a reasonable time or distance. (200km is unreasonable for me). Perhaps they can change the Kiox “Bike Name” at the same time so I’m not confused by the name when I open the app.

My bikes are almost 4 years old so I’m probably beyond the warranty.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Perhaps they can change the Kiox “Bike Name” at the same time
Your bike being four years old should have a non-smart Bosch motor. With that you can go to the Bosch eBike Connect website, access your account and chose My eBike. There you can change the name of your bike. No LBS needed.

First thing I do when I get a new bike is to ask the LBS to remove mileage and/or time reminders from my bike. I like to control the need for service on my own and don‘t need a reminder.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My Rail is coming up 12 months as well. All software on the flow app is up to date and the motor/electrics are faultless. I'm not taking it to the LBS unless something is wrong.

Bosch CX just goes and goes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles