Bosch Magic Tour Mode..available to all ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
It seems to me that some bike manufacturers are able to add their own ‘custom’ setting, slightly manipulating the standard Tour mode, then passing it off as something new and wonderful. I’ve never needed anything more from Tour on both my bikes, if I do I just switch to eMtb mode.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I get what you are saying ..but if it helps extend the range with a little more input from the rider then surely its a good thing ..?

Absolutely. But it would be good if Bosch just added an official mode to the next update, rather than some bikes having it and some not.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I dont think I would want it (or the trek emtb lite mode) - I like to have modes like tour and eco where I know it will cap the assistance of the motor below its maximum in order to eke out max mileage if required.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
They are claiming in the write up that it gives a small increase in range over the current Tour mode ( if you read the full article ...)..and that it replaces it ( not an additional mode) ..working in the same fashion as emtb does ..i.e.responding the amount of input by the rider ..so whats not to like ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Kilham ..let's hope so ..Im a little bit optimistic that this will happen given that Bosch made the torque increase available to earlier generation motors ..but yeah ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I find the tour mode a bit too jumpy at times. I like the feel of emtb mode and usually switch between that and eco mode. Rarely do I use turbo...but it’s there if I need it. I’d be fine if they tweaked tour mode to behave like emtb-lite mode.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Given it say in the article that season 9 and 10 Moustache bikes with gen 4 can be upgraded, I can’t see why technically it can’t be done. Only issue would be if Moustache has proprietary rights to the software. Could be only their dealers would be provided with the necessary firmware updates. Have to say, I’ve never heard of them before, not sure if they have uk dealers who could be persuaded to do the update for a suitable fee.
TBH, for me it’s a bit meh. Claimed improvement over tour is a few percent. Even being generous and say it’s 5%, that’s only a couple of miles. I like the fixed assistance of tour for technical riding, in eMTB I sometimes find the power delivery unpredictable, especially for step ups and rooty climbs.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I like the fixed assistance of tour for technical riding, in eMTB I sometimes find the power delivery unpredictable, especially for step ups and rooty climbs.
I kinda agree. Emtb mode is a bit too much at times through roots or step ups. But tour mode seems a bit too jumpy. I find the power delivery less controllable in tour mode, so I drop to eco mode. A better tuned or programmed tour mode might do it for me.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
If you could confirm the software version if the latest Trek EMTB-Lite mode it would be much appreciated.
Trek Rail with following version has the EMTB Lite
  • Display 1.4.0
  • Drive unit 1.1.2
  • Battery 1.10.1.0

Don_Singer

Jun 15, 2020
Peoria, AZ USA
I think Trek's EMTB-Lite is a huge improvement over the previous TOUR mode. I thought TOUR was kinda flat and didn't use it except for sidewalks. The dynamics of EMTB-Lite are perfect for flatter technical trails where EMTB seems like too much. When the trail starts uphill, I select EMTB. I use TURBO for shuttling roads. Just my personal preferences, hopefully EMTB-Lite will be offered to all Bosch Gen4 CX equipped bikes.

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
It seems to me that some bike manufacturers are able to add their own ‘custom’ setting, slightly manipulating the standard Tour mode, then passing it off as something new and wonderful. I’ve never needed anything more from Tour on both my bikes, if I do I just switch to eMtb mode.
I'm with you on that score I don't see any need to play around with what each power mode provides, you either go up/down a mode or up/down a gear or two. I have noticed on my Trek powerfly that the legs get a little tired and I feel I have to push harder then I change down a gear or two and get my cadence up to where I'm getting max assist from the mode I'm in and the readout sometimes goes up a few extra is so I'm presuming that the battery and motor is working at peak efficiency and therefore I gain a few extra ks

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I'm with you on that score I don't see any need to play around with what each power mode provides, you either go up/down a mode or up/down a gear or two. I have noticed on my Trek powerfly that the legs get a little tired and I feel I have to push harder then I change down a gear or two and get my cadence up to where I'm getting max assist from the mode I'm in and the readout sometimes goes up a few extra is so I'm presuming that the battery and motor is working at peak efficiency and therefore I gain a few extra ks
So basically what your saying is that you are against improvement / progress and tweaking things to make them better ?
Fair enough ..?

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
So basically what your saying is that you are against improvement / progress and tweaking things to make them better ?
Fair enough ..?
I'm all for progress,improvement and tweaking to make things better but in this instance I don't see there is any improvement in the tweak. For me the modes work perfectly for me giving me the right amount of assistance when needed. The new gen 4 motor is a great improvement from what I have in my bike.
Maybe I'm missing something with the tweak to the mode but I don't see how it's better than or superior to what we already have.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
..but then you haven't tried it ..so how would you know ?
To be fair I'm basing my assessment on what Trek owners are saying ..but the general consensus is that its an improvement on the original Tour mode it replaces ..

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
The new updates are out, for the "Magic Tour" (or Tour+), I have it currently installed on my 2020 Trek Rail and new updates for the Kiox and some of the other computers. Tour+ mode replaces the Tour mode (whether if its standard Tour or eMTB Lite), but still shows Tour on the Kiox. From my short urban ride with the new Tour+ mode, since it covers the whole range from Eco to Turbo, it's very gradual, but supportive on how the power comes in while pedaling. I have yet to see how it works on off-road terrain, but it should prove to be interesting, since I tend to turn down modes when it feels overpowering. Time will tell, if I request to switch back to the eMTB-Lite, which I really enjoyed for off-roading.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
My new mustache has it? but not ridden it enough to notice how much difference there is from my old gen 2 bike.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think it’s the emtb lite mode that trek first started , it doesn’t boost all the way to turbo , it’s a more economical version of emtb mode . I find it the best mode for battery life without working too hard in eco

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles