Bosch Kiox retrofit

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I own an Orbea Wild FS which I love and have been riding since last September. The only thing I dislike is the Purion display and controller. I see that it is possible to upgrade to a Kiox unit for around £200.00. I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth doing?
2. Is it worth the money?
3. How difficult is it to fit? (I suspect this may be bike model dependent so comments from anyone with the same bike would be particularly appreciated)
4. What are the options for mounting? e.g. handle bar mount, top rail?

Al

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I would go for the official orbea handlebar mount if you can find one in stock somewhere.

Mounting on the top of the stem leaves it very vulnerable in a crash, and prevents you turning the bike upside down.

Someone has produced a mount that allows you to fix it to the top tube, that might be worth considering.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whilst the Purion may be rather basic it does seem to be pretty reliable. By changing to a Kiox you add a greater degree of software and hardware complexity cable of disabling the bike and virtually impossible to self remedy. Personally I am not interested in any display on the bike although on occasion navigation would be useful; but then there are numerous ways to get that without making it an integral part of the bike's electrical system.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Kiox is a cracking bit of kit, whenever I see the Purion it looks like something from the 90's. Look into it a bit more if you can.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The big benefit of kiox over the purion imo is as follows

- you get the exact percentage of battery remaining, so no more guessing about whether its about to stop or not.
- other metrics such as cadence and the power you are generating are nice to see..

If none of those are important then save your money

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Old thread but still valid question: Kiox retrofit is approx 180 euros today for the "old" Gen 4 Bosch. Current Purion in my Trek Rail doesn't show rider watts and that's something I would like to see.

How good is todays Kiox - Bosch ebikeconnect connection?
Does it work fluently for example with Garmin HRM-belts?
Is the Strava integration working perfectly with Kiox, ebikeconnect and Strava?

I remember that the first versions of Bosch ebikeconnect were a little low quality. It's nice that though Bosch has achieved today 2023 the level that Specilized had 2019 😄

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
For me its only useful as already mentioned for battery percentage no more no less .
Its to small to be of any real value if you want directions etc .

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I just upgraded my cube from purion to kiox and am very happy with the result, but it could be even better if only:
Bosch app worked with my old iphone8, because it demands iphone12 or better;
App worked in my country… I had to change my account to UK to be able to download it;
App allowed me to setup a shimano di2 …it seems I actually need to a bike manufacturer in order to be able to do that;
A bar mount was easily available;
Conclusion: kiox is much better than purion, but still far from the user friendly electronics that shimano actually provide.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hell yeah it’s worth upgrading to the Kiox, it’s a breeze to fit (on a Whyte) and there’s so much more information on tap, the display looks awesome in all lighting conditions and it’s clear and clear and easy to use, as has been hi-lighted when stem mounted it’s vulnerable but if you stump up the extra £60ish for the Hope stem mount it’ll be much better protected which will further improve it’s looks and there’s a seller on eBay that sells silicone bumpers with a loop for a Garmin or similar lanyard so even if it does get dislodged you won’t loose it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles