Bosch Kiox controller fault

Buf457

Sep 13, 2020
Dorset
Hi all,

Just been out on my 2.5 month old Cube stereo hybrid 140. It’s been great up til now, the bike was fully charged, I headed out and went to change modes on thumb controller and it only responded to going down in power modes, now it’s in the OFF position with no motor assist. The display still reads Speed, distance etc, just have non functioning thumb controller. I can’t scroll through screens or anything. However, it does show battery percentage, so it’s connected to the bike. I tried googleing fault and people suggested connecting kiox display to usb to charge it, I tried that but difference.
I purchased bike online from a shop miles away, so may try contacting a more local Bosch dealer. If anyone knows of any fixes In the mean time that would be fantastic

many thanks all

Embee

Aug 14, 2020
Lancashire UK
Hi all,

Just been out on my 2.5 month old Cube stereo hybrid 140. It’s been great up til now, the bike was fully charged, I headed out and went to change modes on thumb controller and it only responded to going down in power modes, now it’s in the OFF position with no motor assist. The display still reads Speed, distance etc, just have non functioning thumb controller. I can’t scroll through screens or anything. However, it does show battery percentage, so it’s connected to the bike. I tried googleing fault and people suggested connecting kiox display to usb to charge it, I tried that but difference.
I purchased bike online from a shop miles away, so may try contacting a more local Bosch dealer. If anyone knows of any fixes In the mean time that would be fantastic

many thanks all
Hi, did you resolve this Kiox issue ? I had this happen to me on same model of bike, also bought online and many miles away. I was asked to return the KIOX controller to them, which I did. They said no problem with it, returned it to me and miraculously the issue was fixed.
however, it has now just happened again !!! Not happy....

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Have you checked the electrical connections in the 'cradle' that the kiox attaches to and the connections on the back of the Kiox? check that they are dry and clean, possibly give them a spray with some electrical contact cleaner.

I remember reading a review of a bike with kiox (cant remember what make/model of bike it was) and they said that sometimes the connections between the kiox and the cradle were a bit dodgy and needing cleaning.

Buf457

Sep 13, 2020
Dorset
Just an update.
So, I phoned bosch helpline to get some advice on what to do, they were quite helpful with some suggestions on things to try, such as cleaning contacts, checking cables etc, all of which I had already done. They then put me in contact with a local dealer, who I initially spoke with over the phone. I took the bike to them, they ran a diagnostic check and said the bike needed a software update, which they dually did. Unfortunately this didnt cure the fault, they then carried out more diagnostics on the laptop. Turns out the fault is with the thumb control pad, whilst viewing data from switches on laptop it seems the minus button is sending out a constant signal even though its not pushed, so no matter what you press it sends out a minus signal and lowers the assist setting to off.
The dealer has now ordered a switch on warranty, I'm just waiting for it to be fitted.
I have been riding the bike still, its in emtb and as long as I don't touch thumb pads it stays in emtb.
Will update once switch has been fitted ?

Embee

Aug 14, 2020
Lancashire UK
Just an update.
So, I phoned bosch helpline to get some advice on what to do, they were quite helpful with some suggestions on things to try, such as cleaning contacts, checking cables etc, all of which I had already done. They then put me in contact with a local dealer, who I initially spoke with over the phone. I took the bike to them, they ran a diagnostic check and said the bike needed a software update, which they dually did. Unfortunately this didnt cure the fault, they then carried out more diagnostics on the laptop. Turns out the fault is with the thumb control pad, whilst viewing data from switches on laptop it seems the minus button is sending out a constant signal even though its not pushed, so no matter what you press it sends out a minus signal and lowers the assist setting to off.
The dealer has now ordered a switch on warranty, I'm just waiting for it to be fitted.
I have been riding the bike still, its in emtb and as long as I don't touch thumb pads it stays in emtb.
Will update once switch has been fitted ?
Thx, sounds same Issue. I’m in contact with dealer and awaiting their suggestion on next steps. I can’t even use my bike as its stuck in ‘off’ so no power at all. Have checked contacts on controller and KIOX, and both totally clean, so defo something else.

Embee

Aug 14, 2020
Lancashire UK
Have you checked the electrical connections in the 'cradle' that the kiox attaches to and the connections on the back of the Kiox? check that they are dry and clean, possibly give them a spray with some electrical contact cleaner.

I remember reading a review of a bike with kiox (cant remember what make/model of bike it was) and they said that sometimes the connections between the kiox and the cradle were a bit dodgy and needing cleaning.
Thx for suggestion, and yes have made sure all contacts are clean. Think there is an issue with the control unit itself from what I read on another reply. Waiting for dealer to respond.

Buf457

Sep 13, 2020
Dorset
Thx for suggestion, and yes have made sure all contacts are clean. Think there is an issue with the control unit itself from what I read on another reply. Waiting for dealer to respond.
Sounds like it's the same issue I'm having, more than likely it's the thumb control faulting.

Embee

Aug 14, 2020
Lancashire UK
So, a bit of an update in case anyone else has similar issues, in frustration I continued to fiddle with the controller and Kiox last night and after a bit of YouTube investigation , I tried a full Kiox re-set ( if that’s what it’s called). Held Off for 8 seconds to shut the Kiox down, then On for 2+ seconds and it came back to life with all data inc time/date needing to be input again. However, controller controlled everything and was back working again. If Kiox freezes on me again, I’ll try this, but in meantime waiting call back from Dealer as let’s face it, shouldn’t happen on a 4K pushbike !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So, a bit of an update in case anyone else has similar issues, in frustration I continued to fiddle with the controller and Kiox last night and after a bit of YouTube investigation , I tried a full Kiox re-set ( if that’s what it’s called). Held Off for 8 seconds to shut the Kiox down, then On for 2+ seconds and it came back to life with all data inc time/date needing to be input again. However, controller controlled everything and was back working again. If Kiox freezes on me again, I’ll try this, but in meantime waiting call back from Dealer as let’s face it, shouldn’t happen on a 4K pushbike !

useful to know - thanks for the update

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles