Bosch Gen 4 Motor Noise

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey,

Just a note to everyone thinking about Bosch Gen 4 powered bikes. All of them that I have tested have a knocking sound over very rough stuff when the chain isn’t engaged (ie freewheeling over larger rocks and bumps). I believe it’s inherent to the design. It sounds like cable slapping inside he frames but is infact the motor.

Has anyone else ridden one (and noticed?).

preedy62

May 1, 2019
UK
I've noticed this on my Trek Powerfly 7. I thought it was the battery rattling but have isolated the noise to be when the motor is not under any load and the bike is freewheeling over a bump. It's a bit irritating :cautious: The motor is great though and the increased battery is a plus.

Keep pedalling!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've ridden three (on the same day) and they all sounded different. One sounded broken so that may be the noise you're referring to.

Bartbeemer

Mar 29, 2020
Belgium
This was also a deal braker for me. Owned a Powerfly 5 with the previous cx and found this already noisy. When I tested the new CX I was very disapointed and went for Brose/specialized. What a difference.

Vampiszon

May 19, 2020
Poland
This is also the case on my Cube Acid Hybrid Pro with Active Line Plus and on my wife's Scott with Active Line engine. The bikes are form 2019, so I think they're Gen3? (not sure). I think all Bosch engines are designed this way. It's annoying on bumpy road :( I don't think it can be fixed on warranty. Here is my video showing this issue:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles