Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Looks to be caused by water in the motor

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Mine happened last May when we had a bit of a heat wave going on. No water anywhere near it for weeks and not even a hose when it happened, so mine definitely was not caused by water .

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
Kind time of the day. After the master was able to fix my engine, the Kiox cycling computer stopped charging, the master says that the computer is powered by 4 volts, but does not take charge. Perhaps someone can tell you what voltage should be during charging? There is no information anywhere about this, perhaps someone faced such a problem?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Kind time of the day. After the master was able to fix my engine, the Kiox cycling computer stopped charging, the master says that the computer is powered by 4 volts, but does not take charge. Perhaps someone can tell you what voltage should be during charging? There is no information anywhere about this, perhaps someone faced such a problem?
Have you tried charging the kiox from a USB cable?

When I had my 550 error the motor stopped sending power to the kiox, so after an hour or so of running on its own battery it switches off.

I believe this is all because of the 550 error, ie the computer in the motor detects a short circuit somewhere, displays the 550 error, and stops sending power to the kiox to prevent accidental electric shocks.

Once I got the new motor, everything started working properly again, including charging the kiox.

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire

The kiox charges from main battery when connected on a ride, part of the

The kiox charges from main battery when connected. Part of the 550 error is the kiox stops charging.. The 550 error did not stop you riding at all, everything worked perfectly apart from no power to kiox, so the bike would turn off once it lost power ...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Good day. Someone might know what voltage must go from the motor to the kiox for it to start charging?

I dont know for certain, but given that kiox charges from USB or from the motor, I would imagine the voltage is 5v

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I had my motor die a month back (almost a year old and 2500km). Got a replacement motor within a week. Its been very dry since I received the new one. Yesterday it just died, 550 code. 5 weeks and 450km. It seems to be something wrong with the voltage from the battery, but Bosch haven't addressed that issue. Fingers crossed for a better working unit this time. My friend that works in a Bikeshop s on his 3rd Bosch this year on his Mondraker. Could be a bad batch, who knows

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have had the 550 error when I had a short circuit to one of my lights a while ago.
A couple of weeks ago on a Trans alp the first 2 days were in pouring rain and my bike died with Error 500. then "See you" and turned off.
A couple of weeks later I tied the bike again and got error 550. and could ride a bit. But then the error 500 came again. Obviously, some sort of short causes the 550 error. just to be sure I unplugged the lights, but got the same error.
I have never power washed my bike, and am very careful about squirting water on the cranks.
Took the bike in to the bike shop yesterday. They said it would probably need a new motor.
Nearly 2 years old with 4900 km.

Last edited:

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Threw a 550 code today. Trek Rail 5. I disconnected the lighting at the motor, still happens. Bike had its first encounter with mud/rain last weekend, and got the usual low-pressure bath it’s been getting every couple of weeks for the past five months. Brought it to Trek and in the few minutes before the store closed the tech couldn’t tell me any more than an over voltage detected. He was booked tomorrow so I brought it home, removed the motor cover and unplugged the lighting (confirmed issue persist), and at this point left a fan running pointed at the exposed motor. Back to Trek tomorrow. Sucks if these motors are that sensitive to moisture. I’ve babied this bike. I hope motors aren’t backordered …

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
w so I brought it home, removed the motor cover and unplugged the lighting (confirmed issue persist), and at this point left a fan running pointed at the exposed motor.

yeah I did all that when I got the 550 error last year after only 500 miles , it made no difference. Took the bike into the shop and bosch swapped the motor under warranty.

The new motor has been ok so far.

Its a strange one, a mate of mine who has the same bike , rides in similar conditions and treats the bike similar to me (ie wash with a low pressure hose, never pointing directly at the motor/cranks) has not had any problem at all.

Maybe its a quality control problem, ie some motors come with their water proof seals not correctly fitted, and if you get one of these motors you're stuffed.

rutger

Sep 27, 2021
NL
in my bosch 2 the water came in through the wiring of the lighting:mad: ... see photo

Screen Shot 05-17-20 at 11.01 PM.PNG

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
in my bosch 2 the water came in through the wiring of the lighting:mad: ... see photo

Ouch. In my case, I left the bike with Trek for a couple of days, during which they cleared codes and did a firmware upgrade, all working now. It’s possible the rear light was shorting out due to moisture at/near where I soldered and wrapped the wiring, so I re-wrapped the wiring and insofar as it was possible stashed it away from where water could get to it. Fingers crossed.

Hensbergen

Sep 28, 2021
Netherlands
I have a R&M bike with the Nyon display now for two weeks, used the bike for 100 Km at most, and the bike never encountered a drop of water. I got the 550 error two times now in one day. It happened when I turned on the bike, waited a minute or so, got the error, turned the bike off and on, and drove away. I didn't noticed anything wrong during riding. I checked the Nyons battery level, and seems fine. Not sure what to think of it, but water cant be de cause. I will wait to see if it keeps coming up.

rutger

Sep 27, 2021
NL
I have a R&M bike with the Nyon display now for two weeks, used the bike for 100 Km at most, and the bike never encountered a drop of water. I got the 550 error two times now in one day. It happened when I turned on the bike, waited a minute or so, got the error, turned the bike off and on, and drove away. I didn't noticed anything wrong during riding. I checked the Nyons battery level, and seems fine. Not sure what to think of it, but water cant be de cause. I will wait to see if it keeps coming up.

I also have a riese & muller a cruiser from 2014 (45km)
if I turned on the bike with the lights on, it also gave an error and the rear light sometimes didn't come on

replaced the rear lamp and everything was good again

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
550 means short circuit. So can be caused by water or a cable problem. I had it when my lights cable wore through. Error came when I turned the lights on.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Threw error 500 on a ride Tuesday, got it home w/o assist. Yesterday it was still throwing a 500 when powered up, but wasn’t immediately powering down on it’s own. I test-rode the bike around the yard and it wanted to take off on its own! I walked it back into my shed and noticed the motor was making a sound like something was spinning roughly, I got a brief recording of it before it stopped. Also saw that it threw a 513.

As a test (of it wanting to ride off on its own) I lifted the rear end and gave the pedals a spin. With the rear wheel off the ground and spinning, the motor intermittently engages on its own. Got a recording of that too. Quite scary, glad I wasn‘t on a real ride. Back to Trek today …

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I didn't mention I got a new motor from Bosch the other day.
From taking my bike in to when I picked it up it took 11 days which I find pretty impressive.
The bike shop has to find time to take the motor out, send it to Bosch, then get the motor back and re-mount it on the bike. So you have no idea how much of that time the bike was sitting waiting for someone to have time to work on it.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Mine took about 18 days. Days 3-14 were basically waiting for Bosch to make a decision after Trek sent diagnostic logs, etc. They didn't drop the motor until the new one arrived. Anyway, glad to have it back!

Dave.r

Sep 25, 2020
N wales
Hi
re Bosch gen 4 . I have 1500 miles on the clock , purion display cut out but. Power for assistance remained (thankfully)
then couple of hours later purion came back on. Thought it was damp ,it was a very wet night ride, but I took it for a diagnostic check . It threw up NO error codes. Went for a ride and 200 yards later all assistance and purion went off, back to shop.they checked and the 550 error code came up!
they checked the purion ,checked the battery, checked connections , finally after submitting details to Bosch, they received a new motor!
two year warranty starts again.
the bike has been test ridden with no problems ,

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hi
re Bosch gen 4 . I have 1500 miles on the clock , purion display cut out but. Power for assistance remained (thankfully)
then couple of hours later purion came back on. Thought it was damp ,it was a very wet night ride, but I took it for a diagnostic check . It threw up NO error codes. Went for a ride and 200 yards later all assistance and purion went off, back to shop.they checked and the 550 error code came up!
they checked the purion ,checked the battery, checked connections , finally after submitting details to Bosch, they received a new motor!
two year warranty starts again.
the bike has been test ridden with no problems ,
Are you sure about the 2 year warranty starting again. Here ist is limited to the age from purchase.

Dave.r

Sep 25, 2020
N wales
I’m in the uk
and yes the bosch warranty starts again 2 years from the new motor.
i had a sx800 with the gen 2 motor and over 6 years had 5 motors in and each time the 2 year warranty restarted.
Bosch are international ,I am surprised that they have different warranty scales,
Good luck with yours
dj

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles