Bosch Gen 2 constant reboot

SurreySteve

Jan 9, 2022
Surrey Hills
I've got an old Gen 2 (Trek) and I've changed controller a few months ago to a Purion (rather than the huge Intuvia thing)... This has been working fine since Feb/early March and done hundreds of miles so only mentioning this for completeness.

I lost my battery in a car park a week or so ago.. sadly didn't get it back... (though have reward signs out round Surrey Hills)... and I bought one off a semi-legit eBay site. (I'd say small ebay dabbler on eMTB stuff rather than fully certified Bosch dealer) but the replacement battery arrived... sealed in and box and manual etc. all looks very legit. (If its a fake its a VERY good fake)

I did a couple of rides after this... and the battery seemed to work great.. one was a mild single track the other was proper shaky stuff. Again all seemed fine.

Then, I went to the bikepark Sunday and 1/2 way through it started cutting out... I removed and reinserted the battery.. etc. and it got worse and worse, in no time its basically just power cycling.. the display and battery (showing 4 bars still) keeps switching off... weird things like showing "lights on" (obviously have no lights) .. then complete power cycle every 5 secs or so until it eventually switches off completely.

External battery connections are all clean...
No water near the bike in a month...

I'd like to test the battery but how???
I can't even see if I take it too a dealer they are going to have a Gen 2 external battery ?
I'm going to strip down and check all connections ... probably down to checking the PCB unless I find anything obvious first....

Any thoughts, ideas or advice ??

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Bosch replaced a battery for me for the same reasons as you. It was overheating apparently and kept going into safe mode. As you I also have no lights working off the system.

SurreySteve

Jan 9, 2022
Surrey Hills
Bosch replaced a battery for me for the same reasons as you. It was overheating apparently and kept going into safe mode. As you I also have no lights working off the system.
Thanks, not sure how that's going to work having bought it on eBay but useful to know.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
A bosch dealer can check it out for a price just to confirm whether its the battery or motor. With mine it was both and bosch never wanted them back so they are kicking around the garage!

SurreySteve

Jan 9, 2022
Surrey Hills
A bosch dealer can check it out for a price just to confirm whether its the battery or motor. With mine it was both and bosch never wanted them back so they are kicking around the garage!
That's good to know, I just removed the Purion and put the Intuvia back (electrically at least) and given this has an internal battery it seems more like it's the actual battery (it doesn't initialise, show speed sensor BUT it doesn't chuck any errors up) I mean seems as its purely the perception of not having the whole display going on and off but it does make me feel it's more likely the battery

I can drop in to an actual concept store so that might be my next move .. otherwise got a mate booked Thursday to do what we can on testing at least continuity etc. other than him being an electronics engineer it also seems sensible or much easier to have a second person doing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles