Bosch fast charger - any good?

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Would anyone be able to tell me how quick the Bosch fast charger is in real time. Is it 50% in an hour? I have a 3 pin plug in my Ranger so thinking about day trips and a bite for lunch and a quick charge, but at the price if you get 10% or whatever in an hour then I'll pass...

The Fast Charger is currently the fastest eBike charger in its class and will recharge the eBike battery in the shortest possible time. After just three hours, the powerful PowerTube 500 or PowerPack 500 are fully recharged. The Fast Charger needs just over one hour to charge a battery to 50% capacity. This makes it the perfect charger for fast recharging while on a trip. The Fast Charger is ideal for eBikes that are often used and frequently charged.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I think this is from Bosch. I am sure you won't be able to charge at 6A in the Ranger unless you've got a big arse generator in the back - in no way am I suggesting you do that. Specialized have a 2A charger that plugs into a car cigarette lighter outlet and there are similar 3rd party chargers that can do it but using one may invalidate any remaining warranty. Also charging at higher currents is detrimental to battery longevity.

screenshot_20200303-164254_chrome-jpg.26934

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Mmm, truck is pretty good - we've had a microwave in it, a kettle and just for a laugh we took our coffee machine out for a day in London!! Saved 10 quid in Starbucks!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can see the advantage of quick charging but I don’t think I would use that option too often. I have the Bosch 2amp and 4amp chargers with 1-625w and 2-500w battery’s. Each charger is plugged into a timer which turns on at 5:00am and turns off at 8:00am. I’m not sure if the length of time on a charger is critical but the user manual suggested charging only as long as needed. Hence the timer.
The 4amp charger gets pretty hot but is faster. The 2amp chargers are smaller, take longer to charge, but are cooler. Regardless I use timers so I don’t forget to turn off or on. (Maybe there’s an app for that)?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have just received the 6A charger, though I haven't tried it yet as at home I use the 4A charger.
I got it in preparation for my Transalp in 3 weeks where we stop for lunch and top up te bateries. Definitely lighter and MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH cheaper than a second battery

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Mmm, truck is pretty good - we've had a microwave in it, a kettle and just for a laugh we took our coffee machine out for a day in London!! Saved 10 quid in Starbucks!!
All at the same time, all on maximum power : ) ⚡ ok maybe not all maxed at the same time but it sounds like you've got a decent inverter - the fast charger is 6A @ 220V so ~ 1.3 kW.. As mentioned it will get hot so I definitely wouldn't charge unattended.

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
All at the same time, all on maximum power : ) ⚡ ok maybe not all maxed at the same time but it sounds like you've got a decent inverter - the fast charger is 6A @ 220V so ~ 1.3 kW.. As mentioned it will get hot so I definitely wouldn't charge unattended.
Not 1.3 kW as 6A is on the low voltage side! But 6A * 36V = 216W ⚡? (you will have little more on the 230V side due to the transformation losses)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I think this is from Bosch. I am sure you won't be able to charge at 6A in the Ranger unless you've got a big arse generator in the back - in no way am I suggesting you do that. Specialized have a 2A charger that plugs into a car cigarette lighter outlet and there are similar 3rd party chargers that can do it but using one may invalidate any remaining warranty. Also charging at higher currents is detrimental to battery longevity.

screenshot_20200303-164254_chrome-jpg.26934

Like the battery display on my Purion .
The 1st half of the battery is not equal to the 2nd half ... Last bar is far less than the 1st bar .

Voice of experience . Early days I trusted that the battery units were equal . Found out the hard way that`s not the case .

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Not 1.3 kW as 6A is on the low voltage side! But 6A * 36V = 216W ⚡? (you will have little more on the 230V side due to the transformation losses)
My brain ceases to work late at night yet I still attempt complex mathematics :)

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border

Seriously......? No. Its a single plug just FYI!!
So... no one actually knows if the fast charger is fast then??

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
It's very quick and Bosch' estimations are pretty accurate. Remember the last 10% or so is a topping charge and takes ages regardless of what charger you use. Your inverter will be fine as long as it can provide 300W continuous, and your leisure battery is huge ?

I use my one for a quick top off over a lunch time pint when on epic XC rides. I get the morning miles for free.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
A 6A charger will put in 216wh's in one hour (A x 36V= wh). Unless as stated you are trying to top it off.

My Grin Satiator charger goes up to 8A but I have 21700 cells that can take that amount of charge.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
like most switch mode power supplies and chargers it's designed to work from 110-240vac. It'll work just fine for you.

Are you sure about that? Because Bosch's website clearly shows that only the 2A charger works with 110V. The Fast Charger is limited to 220-240V.

1596980891565.png

1596980916411.png

1596980958832.png

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Now I feel bad for giving terrible advice! You are indeed correct, I've just looked at the back of all my chargers.

2A and 4A are 100-240V BUT the 6A one is 230V input only. Apologies for any confusion I've caused.

And I’ve bought the 6A charger because of your advice!!!!!!!

I kid, I kid.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
The 6 amp Bosch charger is not really a fast charger, yes its faster than the 4 amp one but by no means a fast charger.
Its all a bit of a joke really, e-bikes must have the slowest chargers of pretty much and lithium battery product. The haibike flyon has a option of a 10amp charger, thats getting closer to a fast charger imo.
The 6 amp is currently the fastest Bosch charger so that is your best option for what you are trying to do.
Happy riding all?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
On my TransAlp this year I used the 6A charger. I definitely noticed it added more charge in a short time. For example in one hour the charge went from 40% to 89%. However when I started biking again, the charge initially went really fast down to about 80% even though I was only in eco.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’ve been using it for 2 weeks and here is my findings. It charges much faster than compact charger. Bosch literature is pretty much spot on. I don’t feel any difference in the way the battery discharge using either charger. I like it. I wish they offer in 110v as I’m using a step up now.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
OK, My comment is basically what you notice on any lithium Ion Batteries. If you load them till not full then immediately start using them, then they appear to go down faster than when left to charge till full and a bit longer. So not a result of it being a 6A charger.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles