• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bosch Error 504 With Speedbox 2

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I will do!
This morning, after a 20K ride (35 minutes), it took about 90 seconds. The speedometer alternates between 0 and a number that decreases (it's not seconds though, I can try to take a video of it tomorrow).
One thing I noted is that after I stop, the motor does not re-engage immediately, it only does after a couple of seconds. I think that's because of the countdown (bike is stopped, but motor thinks it's not).
How are you getting on with the speed box?
Is the delay in the motor kicking back in a deal breaker for Mountain biking, for example stopping on a hill and then starting again?
Also if you turn off the speed box does it act exactly as standard, I.e no count down when stopped?
Cheers in advance?

kouettte

Jan 15, 2020
London
Hi,

180Km so far (more than what was done with the badass before I got the 504 error), and so far so good. It's not a deal breaker to me, as it's only for the first few rounds of pedaling. As long as you're on a good gear, it's not a problem.
I have not yet tested with the speedbox off, I'll give that a go.

DJ_Sixty

Jan 30, 2020
Portugal
I just installed a speedbox 3 and I’m very happy with it.
The countdown is minimal for me and when you stop and it starts it’s 1 second to motor restart. If I use the bike with the box in OFF there is no countdown and the bike works like it doesn’t have box. Stoping on lights in city is enough for me. Of course if you drive great distances with it ON it can be longer. But you can turn off the bike and resume the countdown next time

rubberyduck

Feb 3, 2020
UK
So on reading this thread I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous. For those that have Speedbox 3.0 installed, have they managed to cause any errors? I'm shortly collecting my bike (Bosch Performance CX Gen4) and was intending on adding the Speedbox 3.0 virtually immediately.

Questions (all hypothetical, of course)
1) Can anyone confirm that when the Speedbox is "off" there is no need to worry about the "countdown" before turning the bike off?
2) Can the Speedbox be turned on and off throughout a ride? If so, why wouldn't I just turn it off toward the end of my journey?
3) What happens if the Speedbox is turned off mid ride without stopping?
4) With regards to the "three strikes" policy for locking the bike out, have Bosch made a statement about refusing to reset the firmware at all?
5) How hard is it to avoid triggering an error? Are there any other ways to cause the error than not obeying the countdown?

rubberyduck

Feb 3, 2020
UK
I just installed a speedbox 3 and I’m very happy with it.
The countdown is minimal for me and when you stop and it starts it’s 1 second to motor restart. If I use the bike with the box in OFF there is no countdown and the bike works like it doesn’t have box. Stoping on lights in city is enough for me. Of course if you drive great distances with it ON it can be longer. But you can turn off the bike and resume the countdown next time

Apologies, I missed that this answered my question around countdown while the device isn't "switched on". Can anyone else confirm this?

Fixmiki

Feb 3, 2020
Magyarország
Hello! I want to buy a bosch 4.gen. bicycle. Will tuning still work after software upgrade? There are few competent people in my country. so I ask for advice here. Thanks.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
There are a few people I know that are running the speed box 3 on the gen 4 motors and they are all working faultless.
The walk button definitely works and it is easy to toggle between restricted and de restricted.
Great piece of kit that is properly made

Ufly2

Feb 8, 2020
Swindon
Anyone have more news on this? My Gen3 has the the 2020 firmware and now is in limp mode with 504. May need to find new bike as I can not stay with 25kph!

ricbartm

Dec 16, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Hello everybody,

I'm an affected user of the BOSCH Gen2 Performance Line CX 2020 drive units (yes, Gen2 engine with firmware version 1.8.4.0 with tampering detection). I have been using a BadassBox for BOSCH as well as a new BadassBox unit they sent me with a Shimano speed freezer firmware on it. No matter what version I use, after 70 fake km I got the 504 error again. It's my second time.

I'm willing to give a try the SpeedBox 3.0 (thanks @kouettte for the feedback in the thread!!) but given that it's installed inside the motor I have concerns with something that may be a bit unusual: power feeding a GPS tracker that I have installed on the bike.

My bike has installed a GPS tracker from PowUnity and I wonder if both can be installed at the same time, or if otherwise, I'll need to choose between GPS tracker or SpeedBox. This is the PowUnity GPS tracker installation instructions, in german (which I don't understand either), but the connections used can be seen. I didn't install it myself but looks like it forks one of the power connectors to feed the GPS tracker battery)

Does any of you have both an Speedbox installed and a GPS tracker at the same time? Is any of you familiar with the BOSCH engine connectors as for guiding me on if this move will be a waste of time because I'll need to return the Speedbox? If you wonder, the GPS tracker is a big deal for me because while at work the bike stays locked in the street.

Thanks!

quick_nick

Sep 25, 2019
Hamburg
i can`t confirm that the speedbox 3 works faultless with the CX 2020....maybe you are only lucky yet... after my bad experience with speedbox 2 and the error 504 my dealer mounted the new v3 chip. Now after another 250 km error-free period my engine went again into limp-mode/error 504. The lock appeared during fast ride, i would say i was going on a straight road for approx 15 km with a speed between 40 to 45 km/h.

The way back home was a ride of shame!

ricbartm

Dec 16, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
i can`t confirm that the speedbox 3 works faultless with the CX 2020....maybe you are only lucky yet... after my bad experience with speedbox 2 and the error 504 my dealer mounted the new v3 chip. Now after another 250 km error-free period my engine went again into limp-mode/error 504. The lock appeared during fast ride, i would say i was going on a straight road for approx 15 km with a speed between 40 to 45 km/h.

The way back home was a ride of shame!
Wow, thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. I recently mounted a v3 kit and so far I only did 50km without a problem. I already had 2 strikes with a BadassBox in the past, so I'd hit the 3rd this time if the same happens to me.

Did @DJ_Sixty or @kouettte have seen this behaviour that our colleague describes? How many km you did so far and at what speeds?

DJ_Sixty

Jan 30, 2020
Portugal
The max I did unlock was about 20km. At various speeds between 20 and 55kmh
Usually I only use the unlock for short bursts.

ricbartm

Dec 16, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
I'm wondering what is the mileage of kouettte's bike as well as his/her riding style. He/She claimed to do 160km/week, so either it's working as expected, or he threw the bike away :).

@quick_nick assuming you always respected the wait times after an unlocked ride, did you contact SpeedBox people to see what they can say about this 504 error with SpeedBox 3.0? probably you are hitting an edge case, so I'm curious about what they tell you.

I'll be posting here progress, either good news or bad news about my setup. Unfortunately, I use this for city commuting (I have it unlocked to 30-35km/h and I usually ride at 30km/h when the situation allows), so it takes more time to do these mileages.

BTW, something special in my bike is that I have an electronic hub shifting (Rohloff E14) and the drive unit knows always in which gear I am. Wonder if that scenario is properly tested on not (or if it even make sense) by SpeedBox folks. Wondering if that's also your case @quick_nick or you have an standard mechanical gear shifting.

Fixmiki

Feb 3, 2020
Magyarország
@ricbartm yes i respected the waiting times. I haven`t sent them an email yet, as they never replied on one of my previous mails regarding error 504.

You can send him an email on facebook. You can answer here. He sent me an email almost immediately. Written by: Software updates are also allowed. There will never be 504 errors. He wrote that he provided a lifetime guarantee.

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Has anyone got any experience of the Peartune dongle? It claims to not require the countdown, displays real mileage and mileage value is retained if the dongle is removed?

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Hi all any further updates or reviews on the SpeedBox 3.0?

Thinking about picking one up, but haven’t modified before. Having trouble shifting the bike much above 18mph as I have to pedal with one leg more than another & bikes 25kg so that doesn’t help!

Cheers

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

Thinking about picking one up, but haven’t modified before. Having trouble shifting the bike much above 18mph as I have to pedal with one leg more than another & bikes 25kg so that doesn’t help!

Cheers
Got over 500 miles on mine now, all works no problems

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset

Cheers
Send me a PM if you would like to purchase, UK stock ships next day.

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
All sorted George - have made the payment

Wow thanks for the speedy delivery George, much appreciated. Fitted today. Took no more than 30 mins. Such a difference & so pleased I went for it. Perfect for getting me out into the woods quickly for a bit of distancing exercise & reflection on the shitstorm that’s about to come.

Stay well everyone.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Wow thanks for the speedy delivery George, much appreciated. Fitted today. Took no more than 30 mins. Such a difference & so pleased I went for it. Perfect for getting me out into the woods quickly for a bit of distancing exercise & reflection on the shitstorm that’s about to come.

Stay well everyone.
Appreciate the message, enjoy!

Jayenmo

Mar 25, 2020
Nederland
Hello. The error appeared after 62 fake kilometers, which are 100 fake miles (because of the speed reduction the BadassBox implements). So, those are ~120 real km or ~200 real miles. it matches your observations with the SpeedBox.

How Bosch is detecting this in my case would be:
* I have a Rohloff E14 electronic shifting gearhub and there is for sure coordination between gearbox and engine (there is when I change gear power halts while it changes, and Intuvia display shows the gear I'm on). Engine might be programmed with the gear multipliers as Intuvia display shows Firmware for E14 gearbox as for Shimano Alfine and Nuvinci electronic shifting.
* With the gear multipliers and my cadence they can know how fast I really go in that specific bike. Maybe this problem is specific of Rohloff E14 or electronic shifting in general.

At this point, if there is a substantial difference between cadence and Rohloff E14 gear multiplier they can detect tuning. I'm sold if that's the case. My bike is a really hi-end with the Rohloff E14 and the engine might have more information than with a regular Shimano XT 11v delarieur.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Thanks for your post.
April 8 (I hope) my charger 3 with rolloff e14 will arrive. So I am curious if there is already any information. If the Speedbox3 is working
(Sorry for my poor English)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles