Bosch EMTB mode ?

Cakey boy

Aug 14, 2018
Hampshire
Hi
I have 2 Ebikes with Bosch motors, they are both running old software with sport mode rather than EMTB! So my question is, is it worth me paying a Bosch dealer to upgrade the software on my bikes ? Is there any benefits?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wouldn’t pay for it. All my software updates have been free, even when I didn’t buy the bike from the shop that did them.

I haven’t used Sport mode (set at 200% assist I believe?) but I use EMTB mode almost exclusively now. I wouldn’t want to lose it.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Hey bud, I don't know if you need to pay for it, Evans did it for free for me... you might want to try in there if ones handy..? And 100% worth it, feels like a paid upgrade almost, changes the bike entirely, as Doomanic says I wouldn't want to lose it, I'd feel lost without it tbh.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I'm a bit surprised to learn that Bosch firmware updates are dealer only. Specialized and Shimano firmware updates are available on their cellphone apps. I have noticed an improvement on some of the Shimano updates and believe one should be on the current firmware, no matter which brand.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s no BT connectivity with the Bosch motor and only the Nyon head unit has BT with very limited options.

Cakey boy

Aug 14, 2018
Hampshire
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like I need to update the software, just need to find a local dealer who do it fo free ! As my LBS want to charge me £60 for each one. The robbing bastard!! But as Russell says my bike seems to be stuck in turbo most of the time ! ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
EMTB mode is far superior to turbo. Lots of assistance when you want it, very little when you don’t. The Bosch system is still behind Brose and Shimano in my eyes in terms of overall ride characteristics, but EMTB mode is definitely the best bit of the system and a massive improvement on the previous firmware.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You can with the Nyon but you have to buy the changes from Bosch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles