Bosch CX gen 4 update, is it worth it?

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
I purchased a Cube Hybrid with the gen 4 CX motor during the 1st lockdown in 2020, the only software update it's had was the 85Nm update (1.1.1.0 ?)
I've just purchased a Trek Rail (same motor and battery) this seems a little more lively with a more eager pickup and if anything, it's slightly heavier than the Cube.
My question is, given that both bikes have the same motor and battery, would it follow that the difference in performance may be attributed to the latest software version in the Trek?
Having not updated the Cube since late 2020? not sure what later updates were supposed to offer (other than increased anti-tamper tech)

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
my smart system rail , a 22 9.8 xt, benefitted from the recant update by enabling customization of of all ride modes, not just 2 of them---the rest of it makes no difference to me
not sure about non smart sytem gen 4

RiderOnTheStorm

It's generally recommended to update your Bosch CX gen4 motor to the latest (last) FW version: 1.1.5.0. I upgraded my motors and didn't detect any glitches. Good stability overall.

Here are the release notes from Bosch:

DriveUnit Gen4 V1.1.5.0:
  • eShift functionality optimisation
  • Push assistance optimisation
  • Manipulation detection improvement
  • General function optimisation
PowerPack V1.10.8.0
  • Optimisation of charging behaviour
  • Capacity measurement improvement
Purion V1.4.0.0

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Besides the 85nm upgrade, the walk-assist upgrade was noticeable (4kph then 6kph).

Had to go to the LBS for the update. (2020 gen4 cx). At that time I asked them to increase the maintenance interval. 200km was ridiculous. 2k km was responsible for me.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
200km lol... they don't even do any actual maintenance either...
Your local LBS won't open the motor and touch the bearings, people are getting 3000-6000km before they do a bearing change as well.

just be careful with water and your motor will last thousands of km easy

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
It's generally recommended to update your Bosch CX gen4 motor to the latest (last) FW version: 1.1.5.0. I upgraded my motors and didn't detect any glitches. Good stability overall.

DriveUnit Gen4 V1.1.5.0:
PowerPack V1.10.8.0
Purion V1.4.0.0
My Main reason NOT to update it is the Manipulation measurement improvement!

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk

DriveUnit Gen4 V1.1.5.0:
PowerPack V1.10.8.0
Purion V1.4.0.0
Thanks

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My Main reason NOT to update it is the Manipulation measurement improvement!
WHAT! That sounds horrible …whatever that is?😉

I know that someday that my motor is going to pac-it-in. (2020 Bosch cx gen4) but after daily use and abuse, and almost 15K kms through all four seasons and multiple cleaning …it’s just like new running condition.

When I ride to the LBS they would installed the latest Firmware update and reset the maintenance interval (eventually to 2K). All for free. The mechanics have assured me that the motor is water-resistant (“resistant”). I suppose they can’t claim that it’s waterproof.…because it’s not.

The only measures I’ve taken to prevent water ingress is to the motor electrical plugs. I wiped a very small amount of dia-electric grease around the rubber seals of each connector (4?). I’m careful not to smear too much nor do I apply this grease to my other electrical connector. I believe that if water can get in …it must be able to get out and have time to evaporate. IMO, these electrical ports on the motor are critical and may need a little help.

I could post a few pics of my bike going through deep creeks. I’ve crossed a number of rivers also where the water levels are at my belt line. It’s not a submarine, but it gets wet …often. I don’t let the LBS drop my motor anymore. They may not take the preventative measures that I do. If/when I remove the cranks I always regressed the shaft seals. They(lbs) simply upgrade the latest firmware and reset the service interval. I know that some may not be able to service their own bikes and I’m not sure if my measures have helped …but it doesn’t hurt, or maybe I’m just lucky. But I update the Firmware whenever I can. 👍🏻

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Well, I had the update anyway...
The guy at the shop said to get Tour+ as I requested, I would need to have EMTB mode installed as well, so a case of all or nothing.
So, does that mean that my new Trek Rail (with latest software) has Tour+ as standard?
p.s. I didn't remove the Volspeed V4, it wasn't detected and everything works perfectly as before.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Well, I had the update anyway...
The guy at the shop said to get Tour+ as I requested, I would need to have EMTB mode installed as well, so a case of all or nothing.
So, does that mean that my new Trek Rail (with latest software) has Tour+ as standard?
p.s. I didn't remove the Volspeed V4, it wasn't detected and everything works perfectly as before.
EMTB mode has always been standard on the Trek Rail.
Early on, Sport was replaced by EMTB Lite, and if requested, EMTB Lite can be replaced by TOUR+
(The Purion displays “TOUR” for all of these modes.)
(Assist levels are, TOUR+: 60-340, EMTB Lite: 140-250)
I have my Rail in TOUR+ 99% of the time, but I only ride singletrack.

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Tour was my favoured mode ..I never wanted Tour+ but think I got it anyway when my motor was replaced ..nowhere near as good in my opinion as it drops down to eco through to emtb ..I preferred to choose which mode I wanted and Tour was near as dammit perfect

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Actually, from what my LBS told me it's the other way around. Motors with FW prior to v1.1.5.0 could occasionally generate false positive "manipulation" errors, which is what bosch claimed they addressed in their latest FW.
Still i dont trust the update. I wouldnt risk it.
My chip has been working flawless for the past 4300km

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
EMTB mode has always been standard on the Trek Rail.
Early on, Sport was replaced by EMTB Lite, and if requested, EMTB Lite can be replaced by TOUR+
(The Purion displays “TOUR” for all of these modes.)
(Assist levels are, TOUR+: 60-340, EMTB Lite: 140-250)
I have my Rail in TOUR+ 99% of the time, but I only ride singletrack.
I know Emtb mode is standard on my Rail, but the bike in question is my Cube Hybrid which originally had Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo, after the latest update it has Eco, Tour+,Emtb and Turbo, I was told by the shop doing the update that I couldn't have Tour+ without Emtb mode, so that's what I went for...
But does it follow that the Rail with the same software version (1.1.5.0) also has Tour+ as standard?

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
I know Emtb mode is standard on my Rail, but the bike in question is my Cube Hybrid which originally had Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo, after the latest update it has Eco, Tour+,Emtb and Turbo, I was told by the shop doing the update that I couldn't have Tour+ without Emtb mode, so that's what I went for...
But does it follow that the Rail with the same software version (1.1.5.0) also has Tour+ as standard?
Even with the latest firmware, a Rail can have TOUR+ or EMTB Lite in the TOUR (one up from ECO) position.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles