Bosch CX click?

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Had s clicking on my new Trek Rail from 50mls in. Always as right crank reached 12 0 clock position and always at moderate load. Mtb monster fixed under warranty and said replacement motor fitted..seems to have fixed it.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I've changed all the frame bearings. Not sure if this is going to be relevant - I'll find out soon enough but the two main pivot bearings were very rough as expected. However, they both have aluminium covers that cover the bearings & join with the spacer between the pivots. One has completely seized to the inner race & I suspect it's an indivisible part from Focus. The only way to get the bearing out was to hammer the s**t out of it from behind & it looks like scrap now.

dOesSN2k.jpg
MqGQIDlV.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I managd to save it. Separated it from the bearing with, of all things, a pickle fork, usually used for splitting balljoints. It's rough but I've sanded down the burrs & given it a dirty coat of stonechip to stop it corroding again.

Ij0ltABv.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
All done & hammered back together. I'd like to go for a test ride but it's pouring outside, so tune in tomorrow for the season finale I guess.

Meanwhile, here's a joke: Pump up the Jam.

CloOVMKY.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I think I've found it at last...

Turned the bike upside down & found I could recreate it pedaling. Took the chain off & span the wheel, still doing it. Took the maxle out, all lubed & good. Stripped the freehub & sure enough, rough as you like bearing in there. Looks like new freehub body time.

mLhkM2fl.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yep, motor's all good. Looks like Novatec hubs strike again. On the bright side, I also have sweet new bearings all over the suspension.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
So looking at the freehub body, it amounts to a thru axle & three bearings. I can buy a straight replacement but it seems wasteful when I could just renew the bearings. The axle is on tight but I can see no retaining part like a circlip or grub screw. Out of curiousity, does anyone know how to remove the axle from the freehub? Pound the s**t out of it?

D462SB-SL.JPG

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Sadly not. That guy is replacing wheel bearings but I'd like to do the three bearings in the freehub body itself but can't see an obvious way to remove the axle. Obvs there are ways, heat, a press, extreme violence etc but wondered if anyone has done it before.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
No, mine is the one in the exploded drawing above. Doesn't seem to be anything holding the axle on but it's on tight. If I can't get it off, I'll just replace the whole thing but it is a bit of a waste.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Well there's a fat diget in the way on the photo. I recon it's just a bit stuck and should come off. Throw it into some hot water to see if it frees up a bit!

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
No, mine is the one in the exploded drawing above. Doesn't seem to be anything holding the axle on but it's on tight. If I can't get it off, I'll just replace the whole thing but it is a bit of a waste.
Where that string holds the pawls in you have a grub screw next to your thumb. Have you taken it out like the guy in the last vid I posted, it seems to hold something in

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
No grub screw on that cassette body, what you're seeing behind my sexy fat thumb is the edge of the flats you stick your spanners on. The tech drawing does appear that the whole thing is pressed on & therefore bashed off. Usually thru axles have a lip on them which acts as a stop, so the axle sits at the correct distance from the freehub. Screw it, I'll buy a new one then destroy this one finding out how to disassemble it.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
No grub screw on that cassette body, what you're seeing behind my sexy fat thumb is the edge of the flats you stick your spanners on. The tech drawing does appear that the whole thing is pressed on & therefore bashed off. Usually thru axles have a lip on them which acts as a stop, so the axle sits at the correct distance from the freehub. Screw it, I'll buy a new one then destroy this one finding out how to disassemble it.
Well least we tried
I suppose thanks for being the guiny pig
Mullering it
Remember keep it to yourself
I run XD Freehubs lot easier to work on

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
So out of an abundance of curiosity, I asked Novatec. They say the axle should pull out of the freehub, therefore mine is corroded onto the bearings. But I know now I can press it out with force. Sweet.

Untitled.png

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
In case there's anyone left who hasn't lost the will to live, it's off and my blind puller doesn't fit, so that's next and I accidentally whacked my thumb with a rubber mallet & it's killing me. Stupid bike. 😂

NdyVA0UA.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Aaaandd finally. All three bearings in the freehub are renewed. One of them broke in two & was a bastard to remove. Tip I picked up off that internet - I used a concrete anchor bolt as a blind puller. £6 in Wickes & worked a treat. I'm a frickn genius.

DARXGFZm.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Regrettably I've just bought a £500 bag of shite Toyota Yaris for my soon to be 17 daughter. It needs a clutch, springs, brakes, full service, couple of electrical bits...

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Regrettably I've just bought a £500 bag of shite Toyota Yaris for my soon to be 17 daughter. It needs a clutch, springs, brakes, full service, couple of electrical bits...
It doesn't rain it pour
I feel for ya
Been down that road with my son
Wish I didn't have knowledge for messing about with tools lol

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Not a true mountain biker unless your bike's worth more than your car though eh 🥳

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles