Bosch battery dead

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
My dad has a bike with a gen2 Bosch motor and a 500 external battery. A Gepida ruga, yes I've never heard of that brand either! God knows where he got it.
It's about 4 years old but due to ill health its been ridden about twice and likely less than 50 miles.
I suspect the battery has been stored full charged through this time and in a cold garage.
I went to try it yesterday and it appears dead. It seems to have led's on the side and a switch, this does nothing, plugging it into the charger doesn't do anything either.
I'm not familiar with Bosch stuff, but suspect it's knacked and needs replacing or might be able to be repaired?
It looks like Bosch external batteries over the years haven't changed so looks like any would fit? Either that or I try to sell an obscure make bike as a non runner, which wont go well.

Mar 12, 2022
Chicago, IL
If you haven't already, try resetting the battery BMS by removing the battery from the frame, and holding down the button on the battery for 15 full seconds. Try plugging it directly into a charger again.

If you still have no life from the battery, it's possible that the pack exceeded internal safety limits and has disabled itself.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I did find a bms repairer advertising on facebook who appeared to have a shop, who would fix the bms for £125, so sent them the battery. They advised the bms & cells were corroded & in poor condition & replaced them all for £325.
There were numerous delays but I eventually got it back for it to power the bike fine, but it didnt charge. So it went back again, no comms from them but it arrived back to me a week later this time working.
To be honest I started to feel like I had been scammed & in hindsight as I had decided to keep the bike I would have spend out on a new battery at £600 or so.
Ive no idea where he is getting bosch bms's from to replace as I dont believe bosch sell them.
I wont list them here as I wasnt especially impressed by the service, slow, poor comms, cost me double the postage & didnt provide the receipt/guarantee I asked for.
If anyone wants to know, then pm me.

Mar 12, 2022
Chicago, IL
That's a very unfortunate but helpful story. I'm sorry you had such negative experience.

Having plenty of personal experience opening a few of my own battery packs, I would never recommend anyone pay for a repair. You're right, Bosch doesn't sell the BMS to anyone, and replacing the cells correctly is an incredible amount of work. As expensive as they are I would still recommend a new battery over a paid "repair".

For what it's worth, I do think your shared experience has value for others, and at the very least will be helpful in that regard. I'm glad you got it working, and I hope you are enjoying the bike. It's a pretty great platform.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles