Boot liner vs bike cover

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Can't decide. Which would you go for and why? I've been looking at Rhino boot liners vs the Evoc bike cover. Both cost about the same although I'm currently favouring the Rhino. Hatchbags get good reviews but cost twice as much and you need to buy extras to get them to provide the same cover as the Rhino. Any personal experience of either would be welcome.

I'm currently using a cheap liner and tarp but it's not a very good solution, looks a mess and always needs repositioning and adjusting. I take the front wheel off and put the bike in on it's side. It just fits.

Al

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Hatchbag here for 5 years and it’s been flawless. Perfect fit and tough. Surface is marked from dragging DMR pedals across it but still waterproof. Full length cover with the 2/3rd splits so seat sections can be folded individually. Boot flap worth the extra for the inevitable time you catch the bumper putting the bike in. Expensive but last time is sold one I got half my money back.
Wife has a rigid one for her car which has a nice big lip on it. Unfortunately this is also a PiTA when the back seats are folded flat as it catches on anything you push through. Also doesn’t cover back if seats when they’re folded down.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've had a soft boot liner for nearly 5 years and it's pretty much fucked. It's no longer waterproof so I have to remove it every time it gets any water on it or the carpet will go mouldy. I'm going to get a rigid liner for next winter. Like this; VersaLiner Car Boot Liner & Boot Protector - Boot Buddy
That would be my favoured liner but it simply won't work in my car with my bike. I've checked

Last edited:

nigefox

Feb 1, 2022
West Mids
Im currently in this market myself… have been looking at the Fidlok option as specifically designed for mtb use, and was on sale at CRC / Wiggle for £45 (no surprise theyre out of stock right now).
interested in a few of the options listed here, although i dont want a perm option, although it would / could be used for other things.
Volvo xc90 so not looking for roof bars / rack options, want to keep everything inside where its secure when trabvelling 👌

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I went to the local outdoor shop and bought a tarpaulin for (it was £10 when I got it but that was years ago). It is 12'x 8' which is way too big, but with the rear seats folded down, it goes in doubled up at 6' long x 4' wide. It is flexible and folds up nice and small. I leave it in the boot for when I'm shifting garden waste.

No doubt it is not as good as one designed for the job/car, but for £10 (or whatever they are now) it's a bargain. and does the job.

PS: I always remove the pedals before sliding the bike into the car. It is easier to get the bike in&out and it also greatly reduces damage to the tarpaulin.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Cheap tarp off t'interweb plus an old sheet on top - I can remove front wheel then lift bike in/out my hatchback without sliding it. The sheet takes most of the mud etc and gets put in the washing machine when it's minging. Some mates use a small portable washer to remove heavy mud etc before putting their bike in the car/van but ICBA, gets a wash at home.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles