Bontrager Tyre Removal

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
My 2021 Trek Powerfly 7 has XR3 Team Issue tyres on Bontrager tubeless ready rims. The tyres are a nightmare to remove. The tyre bead will not move over to the centre of the rim without extreme force being applied. I can do it in my workshop with plenty of tools around but I dread having do it out on the trail. My 2018 Powerfly had earlier versions of these tyres and rims but were no problem. I've tried soapy water, GT85 etc to no avail. I must add that I have removed and fitted hundreds of tyres in the many years I've been riding so hopefully I'm not missing anything obvious. Any comments, tips or assistance would be gratefully recieved.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
If they're the same rims as the Trek Rail 7 then it will prob be the plastic rim strip that takes up a lot of space. I removed mine & rim taped it to make the removal & installation "easier" The sooner it is done the better in my experience.

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
If they're the same rims as the Trek Rail 7 then it will prob be the plastic rim strip that takes up a lot of space. I removed mine & rim taped it to make the removal & installation "easier" The sooner it is done the better in my experience.
You're right Doug. The plastic rim strip actually forms a step that you have force the bead over. I was reluctant to remove it as it's a very neat rim / valve seal for going tubeless but you're probably right to say removing it is the only solution. Thanks.

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
You're right Doug. The plastic rim strip actually forms a step that you have force the bead over. I was reluctant to remove it as it's a very neat rim / valve seal for going tubeless but you're probably right to say removing it is the only solution. Thanks.
Hello, are you talking about this? 35B7BB0B-CEB8-48F0-9399-6284A6DA27BD.png

Another question for me is: Does it make sense to go with 2.4 tyres insteas of 2.6? Or a combination of both? For AM and light enduro biking? Or does this has more disadvantages?

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I use XR3 and find the best way is to pop the bead into the centre well, if it’s particularly tough then I place the wheel flat on a surface that won’t damage the rim & use my foot to press the sidewall into the centre well, makes it a breeze.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Another possible cause (which does not apply in your case, as you revealed the cause for you), is if you ever used Gorilla Tape as your rim tape. Gorilla Tape was widely recommended at one time, including by me; it looks good, is cheap and easy to apply. I post this to give it more exposure.

In the use as rim tape, Gorilla Tape is the spawn of Satan! The adhesive on the tape is terrible stuff and, judging by what I experienced, I suspect it is affected by any tyre sealant used. GT is thicker than proper rim tape and can cause problems on tyre removal. What happened in my case was that the Gorilla Tape moved and created a barrier making it harder for the bead to move. But worst of all, the Gorilla adhesive became exposed and glued the tyre to the rim! :eek:

There is a long thread on here ("Removing Gorilla Tape residue from wheel rims") that catalogues the nightmare of tyre removal and removal of the old glue. I went from a fan of Gorilla Tape to being 100% against it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My 2021 Trek Powerfly 7 has XR3 Team Issue tyres on Bontrager tubeless ready rims. The tyres are a nightmare to remove. The tyre bead will not move over to the centre of the rim without extreme force being applied. I can do it in my workshop with plenty of tools around but I dread having do it out on the trail. My 2018 Powerfly had earlier versions of these tyres and rims but were no problem. I've tried soapy water, GT85 etc to no avail. I must add that I have removed and fitted hundreds of tyres in the many years I've been riding so hopefully I'm not missing anything obvious. Any comments, tips or assistance would be gratefully recieved.
I have had similar difficulty moving a tyre off the rim. As a tip for you to consider; I use my mini-pump. I always have it in my backpack so I know it will be available on the trail. Remove the wheel, find a place to put the horizontal wheel such that the rim is on a firm surface. I prefer a tree stump, but I have used flattish rocks. If there is danger of damage to the rim, I put my gloves between the rim and the rock. Then place one end of the mini-pump onto the tyre as close to the rim as possible and bring your weight to bear on the other end. I use my shoulder and just press down, jerking if required. Unless the tyre is glued to the rim, it will move. It worked so well on the trail that it is now my standard technique in the garage. :)

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hello, are you talking about this? View attachment 81041

Another question for me is: Does it make sense to go with 2.4 tyres insteas of 2.6? Or a combination of both? For AM and light enduro biking? Or does this has more disadvantages?
Yes. I didn't realise they cost so much. Someone going through my rubbish bin could have made some money.
I only run 2.4 - 2.5 but just because the big tyres always look too cumbersome for the tight technical tracks where I live.

Ok here's a novice tip that took me a couple of tyre changes to work out & a few of you will roll your eyes.
When removing & reinserting the tyre place the tyre lever between the spoke position on the rim & not where the spoke holes are. It took me a couple of tyre changes to work out why I was puncturing the rim tape - the edge of the long tyre lever was ripping the tape when trying to get it out off a tight tyre. You're welcome

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles