Bontrager SE5

Sep 27, 2019
UK
Hi just about to join the rail club.
How is everyone finding the stock tyres 're grip and strength. My current bike has a Mary on the front and an e wild on the back and i,m really happy with them.
thanks in advance

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I didn't get on with the SE5's at all.
I found they had no grip in the winter and where average in the dryer weather.
My mate on the other hand loved them, so there you go?

Bike is awesome though ?

Last edited:

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I like the SE5 for trail centre or any other hardpack conditions but found them a bit weak in mud due to the shallow tread. Mine also began developing ply separations (noticeable as a wobble in the tread even with the beads seated correctly) after about 800km.

I've gone to my old favourite Minion DHF/DHR2 combo in 2.6 now and have noticed a feeling of a much more "precise" steering feeling riding these. I can't see myself going back to SE5s.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
2.6 se5 is the best rear tyre I have used so far, but like most mtb tires is too expensive

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
the tyres are nice enough in the dry on more hardpack stuff, but rubbish as a front on the mud and too flimsy - running pretty low tyre pressures tubeless they just deform too much and lead to lots of rim impact (have had to replace the stock bontrager rear rim already as they are made out of cheese)

Sep 27, 2019
UK
Thanks for the reply's. I have just picked the bike up and looking at them i recon theres a strong possibility i might die. So have ordered an e wild and a magic mary. Anyone want any SE5's

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes, I would be interested in the e wilds, how heavy are they?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles