Bontrager freewheel.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I thought I'd take the freewheel off my Bontrager hub, just to see what was in there. I expected it to just pull off, as DTSwiss ones do, but it is proving rather stubborn and I am not sure whether it is that simple.
Can anyone advise just how you get these freehubs off?

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
I had to use a tool similar to a Hub Genie to remove the end cap.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
What model do you have? Any pics?

Some have a nut on other side and you have to use long socket to remove it first. The actual freehub might need special tool if you want to open it and see couple of rusty bearings.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
What model do you have? Any pics?

Some have a nut on other side and you have to use long socket to remove it first. The actual freehub might need special tool if you want to open it and see couple of rusty bearings.

It's on a 2021 Rail 7 so it should be the latest design.
There are no flats or anything that remotely resembles a nut.
I'm not yet concerned about rusty bearings, although they will need changing sooner or later. I want to find out if it is a pawl or a star ratchet system as if it's a pawl system I'll be ditching it before it ditches me.

Last edited:

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I’m on Kovee Pro and mine just pull straight off, I use a soft jawed mole grip which seems to work OK, a guy I ride with has Line Comp 30 and they were the same, last time we serviced his rear wheel we did the Microspline freehub bearings which took a bit of figuring out as all 3 bearings come out at the spoke end, the last bearing (nearest the frame) has a circlip holding it in which was easy once we had a pair of long nose circlip pliers.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
It's on a 2021 Rail 7 so it should be the latest design.
There are no flats or anything that remotely resembles a nut.
I'm not yet concerned about rusty bearings, although they will need changing sooner or later. I want to find out if it is a pawl or a star ratchet system as if it's a pawl system I'll be ditching it before it ditches me.
The Rapid Drive system uses pawls - 3 for 54, 6 for 108 points of engagement.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The Rapid Drive system uses pawls - 3 for 54, 6 for 108 points of engagement.

That adds up thanks, the words 'rapid Drive 54' are printed on the hub but that means only three pawls
I know I can upgrade to six pawls if need be, but I have some Mavics, when the appropriate hub turns up..

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Check out this thread
Mine was a bastard to get off. I ended up hitting it with a big screwdriver but make sure you have someone catching it or put a bucket underneath as the awls & springs fly out when it hits the floor

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
If you're looking to just service the pawls & springs, I suggest leaving the cassette on the freehub body. The largest cog provides a much better finger hold than the bare freehub body.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
While we're talking about the Bontrager comp 30 wheels. I'm just about to change the rear wheel bearings.
I've removed the free hub body and have tried to drive out the axle from the drive side towards the non drive side but it's not budging, anything I'm missing?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles