Bomber Z1 Coil now or Fox 38 and wait?

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I have a Decoy29 with stock Fox 36E+ (34 internals) w/ 150mm travel and looking for something a bit more supple. Seems like the 36E is a dead-end for upgrading.

The Z1 Coil is a sweet deal at $780 and *in stock* now. I already have a Fox 38 (non-E) on order/backordered indefinitely, may be available by August....COVID, etc.

Z1 damping adjustments are definitely more limited than the 38. But at $500 cheaper, I'd expect that. It's 36mm stanchions vs. 38 on the Fox38. I already run a Bomber CR Coil in the back, so the Z1 coil might pair nicely with the CR rear shock.

The major issue I worry about on the Z1 is the coil spring is limited to "X-FIRM" for riders up to 250 lbs. I'm 270# with gear. Some folks over at MTBR forums are using the XFIRM spring and are 265# fully kitted but I don't think they're on a heavier e-bike, which could add another 5 lbs over the fork. Also the XFIRM spring is backordered too.

Any of you on Decoy's try the Z1 Coil? What did you think?

I've heard nothing but praise on the Fox 38, but might be overkill for my local trails (no jumping, some drops and fast decents on east-coast chunk/jank, but lots of trail-flow).

What would you do?

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I have the same bike as you, and was not super happy with the stock 36 Ebike. I needed to fill it with volume spacers (I think 5 or 6) in order not to bottom out while keeping a little bit suppleness at the top, and I usually ride my suspensions quite stiff.
I have swapped the air shaft for a 160mm with Luftkappe (you need the fox 34 model), together with a lower leg service with sram butter on the seals and it is really day and night, I didn't expect to be able to get such an improvement in functioning. I can now run more pressure but it is more sensitive at the top at the same time, it leads to more support and I don't bottom out often with only 1 volume spacer now.
Together with a coil shock it is a very efficient and composed setup, and the stiffness of the 36 Ebike is actually pretty impressive.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I have the same bike as you, and was not super happy with the stock 36 Ebike. I needed to fill it with volume spacers (I think 5 or 6) in order not to bottom out while keeping a little bit suppleness at the top, and I usually ride my suspensions quite stiff.
I have swapped the air shaft for a 160mm with Luftkappe (you need the fox 34 model), together with a lower leg service with sram butter on the seals and it is really day and night, I didn't expect to be able to get such an improvement in functioning. I can now run more pressure but it is more sensitive at the top at the same time, it leads to more support and I don't bottom out often with only 1 volume spacer now.
Together with a coil shock it is a very efficient and composed setup, and the stiffness of the 36 Ebike is actually pretty impressive.

That's interesting - I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum for 36E+ tuning and ended up adding air and removing volume spacers (on advice of ShockWiz tuning recs.). I almost never bottom out...usually some 10-20mm left in travel depending on the trails and if I'm solo or w/ analog buddies. I'm reluctant do try and gain suppleness by reducing PSI, more sag since I don't want to change the 'rake' of the bike. Dynamic ride attitude is just about right in 'low' flip-chip setting but would feel sketchy if I went any softer up front.

Sounds like you need more progression than I do. Currently talking to Steve @ Vorsprung re: Smashpot using my current 36E+. It's a 1-way conversion so can't go back to air for reselling but everyone raves about Smashpot suppleness and mid-stroke support. Smashpot has firmer spring rates more in line w/ my rider weight than Bomber Z1, so this may be the ticket.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Vorsprung smashpot all the way here as well. I have it in my Lyrik and love it so much. I went with a Lyrik ove rmy stock Fox souly cause I can get it to 180 whereas with the Fox e36 you cant.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I just put a normal fox 38 180 on my decoy, much more smoother than the fox 36e that it came with. I will get it serviced and put it on my normal bike

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Honestly you can't really compare the 2 forks as one is coil and one is air. I'm a fan of coil sprung forks so I'd go with the bomber over the fox 38 (unless they have a coil kit out for the 38 now). If you want a coil I would buy an older lyrik and smashpot it or if you don't want 180mm in travel smashpot your fox36e. I guess it fits according to vorsprung. If you want air then wait for the fox 38.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
UPDATE:

Ended up getting a Smashpot 65# conversion for the OE Fox 36E fork. At the same time, got it completely serviced with new slick seals, lube, etc. At the same time, I asked them to go up to 160mm from stock 150mm. YT recommends against more than that on the 29er and I'd agree.

I'm still playing with the damping but it definitely is way 'quieter' over chunk/roots. Great grip even in dry/sandy, wash-out terrain. WAY less brake dive and tons of support. 65# is almost too-stiff still even with the revised spring-rate calculator. Static ride height is much higher to the point I put the flip-chip back to "high" setting to get the right attitude otherwise it felt to choppered-out.

I'm at around 40mm sag (25%), but not even close to bottoming out, even with the HBOC wide-open (less damping). There's a good 30-40mm of travel completely un-utilized. So I may bite the bullet for a 60# spring just to get more ultra-plush feel on the small stuff and see if I even come close to bottoming.

Regardless, the 36E chassis is plenty stiff as a foundation. I don't think I need 38 and the cost is way way less with just the coil conversion.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
UPDATE:

Ended up getting a Smashpot 65# conversion for the OE Fox 36E fork. At the same time, got it completely serviced with new slick seals, lube, etc. At the same time, I asked them to go up to 160mm from stock 150mm. YT recommends against more than that on the 29er and I'd agree.

I'm still playing with the damping but it definitely is way 'quieter' over chunk/roots. Great grip even in dry/sandy, wash-out terrain. WAY less brake dive and tons of support. 65# is almost too-stiff still even with the revised spring-rate calculator. Static ride height is much higher to the point I put the flip-chip back to "high" setting to get the right attitude otherwise it felt to choppered-out.

I'm at around 40mm sag (25%), but not even close to bottoming out, even with the HBOC wide-open (less damping). There's a good 30-40mm of travel completely un-utilized. So I may bite the bullet for a 60# spring just to get more ultra-plush feel on the small stuff and see if I even come close to bottoming.

Regardless, the 36E chassis is plenty stiff as a foundation. I don't think I need 38 and the cost is way way less with just the coil conversion.

Nice. I love my smashpot. Won't ever run without one now. Good to know that it fits in the 36e fork too.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I ended up setting my hydraulic bottom-out to wide open via the shim stack as I wasn't using all the travel, love the Smashpot in my Yari, added a Fast Suspension Yari Up damper for more control at the same time (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles