Bloody stone chips!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
They say the first couple are the most annoying, and it's true. And right where the f***ing PPF doesn't cover anything. Any stones that flick up tend to sit between the two parts of the frame, then vibrate out, leaving a huge stone chip. I've had exactly the same happen on my other bike as well.

Luckily I've got some touch up paint, so can touch these in, but as this is a very vulnerable area, I need some extra protection in there. Vinyl film isn't thick enough.

I've seen the rubber protection that seems to cover this whole area on some Specialized bikes, so has anyone seen anything similar for ours? I have got some Eazigrip in the garage, but it's very thick, so would fill the small gap, which would stop the suspension from working properly, I'm guessing.

tempImageBbZ0IT.png

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
They say the first couple are the most annoying, and it's true. And right where the f***ing PPF doesn't cover anything. Any stones that flick up tend to sit between the two parts of the frame, then vibrate out, leaving a huge stone chip. I've had exactly the same happen on my other bike as well.

Luckily I've got some touch up paint, so can touch these in, but as this is a very vulnerable area, I need some extra protection in there. Vinyl film isn't thick enough.

I've seen the rubber protection that seems to cover this whole area on some Specialized bikes, so has anyone seen anything similar for ours? I have got some Eazigrip in the garage, but it's very thick, so would fill the small gap, which would stop the suspension from working properly, I'm guessing.

View attachment 59808
If you cover the gap and not put it in the gap it will be fine, alternatively fit one of the small mudhugger mudguards to protect the area

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
If you cover the gap and not put it in the gap it will be fine, alternatively fit one of the small mudhugger mudguards to protect the area

I did have a mud gutter, but stones would also get stuck behind that, wearing through the PPF.

Has anyone come up with another solution, or do you all just have chipped paint?!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
stone chips? i'm more concerned about losing paint along the bottom bracket as there doesn't seem to be any non hideous looking protection available, i might just chop up a tyre and stick it on. Where i've been riding there's been a fair bit of contact from large rocks :ROFLMAO: at least whyte sell the touch up kits.

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
I think Whyte must do well selling the touch up paints ! The paint job is very poor but saying that my wife’s Liv is more brittle ! You only have to look at it and it chips !!

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Your right the paint is shite. Here’s my motor guard. My mate bought 2 off of the Whyte feb group. Goes right under the bottom. Sorry my garage is a bomb site atm

image.jpg

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Has anyone come up with another solution, or do you all just have chipped paint?!
I embrace the chips. Mine is worst on the seatstays/bridge. Sticks seem to always get picked up by the rear wheel and jam there bringing me to an abrupt stop. I only seem to get mud in that main pivot area.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I embrace the chips. Mine is worst on the seatstays/bridge. Sticks seem to always get picked up by the rear wheel and jam there bringing me to an abrupt stop. I only seem to get mud in that main pivot area.

I've embraced them on my Cube, it's completely covered in them. :oops: I want to try and keep this one looking a bit better for longer.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've never got that bothered about stone chips etc ..its just part & parcel of the type of riding we do ..battle scars are how I look at them ..and as long as I maintain the bike properly I can live with the odd knock
If I was of a mind to eventually sell the bike then maybe it would bother me slightly more ..but I've never sold a bike yet.. preferring to hand them down to other family members ..

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I couldn't care less about the plastic cover being damaged as that's a fairly cheap replaceable part. the guard is because of the chips/gouges that are in the frame after the cover stops that will eventually lead to other issues if not kept on top of. Most of this is caused when bottoming out over rocky terrain.

Fundamentally it's a tool that gets used and will take abuse, but there are areas that are best kept protected to not lead to further problems.

1620071749683.png

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
stone chips? i'm more concerned about losing paint along the bottom bracket as there doesn't seem to be any non hideous looking protection available, i might just chop up a tyre and stick it on. Where i've been riding there's been a fair bit of contact from large rocks :ROFLMAO: at least whyte sell the touch up kits.
I totally agree pal.......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles