Bike park helmets...

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
My friends have just discovered bike parks, and though they aren't my cuppa tea, I will/have ended up going, though not often & won't be hitting any black runs.
So as one m8's has already face planted several times, a full face helmet is the way ahead... but I own an e-bike, so an uplift isn't necessary, and a detachable (DH certified) helmet would come in to it's own if I had to cycle up, or take one helmet travelling.

I know a proper FF is going to be a better helmet, but it simply won't get used that much, the flexibility of the detachable ones are calling & there hardly going to be rubbish and probably better than the low end FF's. What do you think?
I bought a Met Parachute without the detachable chin piece (just seems like a lot of faff to have to carry it then fit it). I love the new full face - its probably one of the lightest and well vented out there. I have ridden for years with open face but this is definitely my goto helmet for trickier offroad stuff. Double D ring fastner takes a bit of getting used to but once on its nice and comfy. There are some bargains out there (I paid £116) - Cheaper than the detachable chin piece type and its certified for downhill competition which not all others are. Highly recommended.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
I just love my Troy Lee Stage helmet.

Bonus of FF if you GoPro...chin mount blows away Chesty mount.

No more constrictive chest mount harness, plus, camera follows where you are looking. Also, the human head is nature's gimbal.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I was of the mindset that if I want a full face, I want a real full face. I have a stack of 5
Bell Full 9 carbon DH helmets along with a moto 9. The first convertable that I bought was a Bell Super DH and I only did it because it carried the DH certification.

I have seen a few crashes where non DH certified chin bars have caused substantial injuries from the bar itself breaking.. I am sure their faces would have been messed up without the chin bar, but the chin bar definitely added to the issues. So that DH certification was super important to me.

I will say that my Super DH has been a fantastic helmet for me and I am on my 3rd one now due to crashes. I still ride my Full 9 while on my DH bike, BMX bike and at the bike park since I wear a neck brace there. But the Super DH has replaced my "enduro" helmet. I wear the chin bar about half the time depending on the ride.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Since March I have had the new MET Parachute MCR, and this is the review of it I wrote recently :

"It is very easy and quick to put on and take off due to the magnetic strap buckle, and the magnetic chin bar system.

It is extremely comfortable (as long as you buy the correct size and fit the correct size of check pad to fit your face), and has plenty of ventilation so it stays cool.

After a couple of minutes I almost forget I am wearing it!

What the adverts and professional reviews do not point out is that for older people with glasses and hearing aids, this helmet is extremely easy to put on and take off with these in place. In fact this is the reason I replaced my previous Met Parachute (fixed chin bar).

It is also easy to take glasses off to clean, and replace them without removing the helmet (which was difficult on my previous helmet.

The reasons for these significant improvements in convenience is that you can put on the helmet first, then the chin bar, and also the fact that there is a little bit more room between the helmet and your temples and ears than in previous models.

The only downside is the very high price, but that is probably justifiable for the high level of comfort and protection it gives you (look at the safety standards it passes compared to any other similar helmets)."

I would add that I always wear the chinbar, even on the roads, as it is so comfortable and protective, but for the reasons given above, the removable chin bar is essential to putting the helmet on and taking it off easily.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
thanks @Nicho as a glasses wearer, I appreciate the comments on those, and am close to buying a the MET mcr.

What do glasses wearer do about googles? I don't want contacts, so do ppl with glasses even bother with googles? ..I did find my eyes seemingly watering a lot more at BPW.

TBH I think a convertible will be more use to me than a FF, especially as the price for either is quite similar (unless I want a FF with little ventilation)

D

Deleted member 7464

I use a bell super 3r for most places in the UK and depending on what I'm riding depends whether the chin guard is attached or not. When I ride in the French alps or real aggressive UK stuff I always use my troy lee d2 full face.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
thanks @Nicho as a glasses wearer, I appreciate the comments on those, and am close to buying a the MET mcr.

What do glasses wearer do about googles? I don't want contacts, so do ppl with glasses even bother with googles? ..I did find my eyes seemingly watering a lot more at BPW.

TBH I think a convertible will be more use to me than a FF, especially as the price for either is quite similar (unless I want a FF with little ventilation)

I used to wear contact lenses with MTB sunglasses but when I could no longer use contacts I bought a pair of Oakley Windstopper sunglasses with light-reactive prescription lenses.

These lenses are made from the material they make Apache helicopter windscreens from, so they can cope with MTB impacts!

Expensive but very good optics (clearer vision than with my every-day glasses), and the light-reactive bit means they quickly adapt from bright sunshine to dark forest in seconds, and go almost completely clear at night for night riding.

Of course, if you get this type of eyewear they can be used for all other types of outdoor activity including watersports and mountaineering, thus saving wear and tear on your other glasses!

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
I have a Giro Switchback with removeable chin-guard, and a Troy Lee D2 full-face helmet I use for Bike Park Wales, Antur Stiniog etc. I use the Switchback most of the time with the chin guard attached, the only exception being long XC rides which are few and far between, and summer rides with the family.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to wear contact lenses with MTB sunglasses but when I could no longer use contacts I bought a pair of Oakley Windstopper sunglasses with light-reactive prescription lenses.

These lenses are made from the material they make Apache helicopter windscreens from, so they can cope with MTB impacts!

Expensive but very good optics (clearer vision than with my every-day glasses), and the light-reactive bit means they quickly adapt from bright sunshine to dark forest in seconds, and go almost completely clear at night for night riding.

Of course, if you get this type of eyewear they can be used for all other types of outdoor activity including watersports and mountaineering, thus saving wear and tear on your other glasses!

I wear Oakley Straitjacket glasses with prescription lenses, photoreactive, single vision. I don't even try to put goggles on top of them! I had no idea it was considered a fashion faux pas to wear glasses with a full face helmet, But I don't care, really don't care!

The Oakleys are pretty much bombproof and when new the lens clarity is astonishing. But over time, being whacked in the face by brambles and having to wipe off mud splashes, slowly and surely covers the lens in a myriad of microscopic scratches that reduces the astonishing clarity down to what is normally available on cheaper specs.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I wear contacts with Oakley transition glasses, never got on with goggles.

Some people struggle with glasses and full face because of the shape of their face.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wear contacts and have tried a variety of specs but all seem to suffer from turbulence behind the lenses so I bought some goggles and there's no way in hell I'll be using glasses again.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Only problem with goggles is they steam up quickly in the lovely damp conditions of sunny Wales :(. Especially if you are smashing it up the long climbs and then you stop to wait for the stragglers.....Tried every type of anti fog spray, dish washing liquid, even spit, changed to different goggle makers....you name it, I have tried it. Hopefully someone on here has a wonder fix for foggy goggles syndrome.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Only problem with goggles is they steam up quickly in the lovely damp conditions of sunny Wales :(. Especially if you are smashing it up the long climbs and then you stop to wait for the stragglers.....Tried every type of anti fog spray, dish washing liquid, even spit, changed to different goggle makers....you name it, I have tried it. Hopefully someone on here has a wonder fix for foggy goggles syndrome.
Have you tried double glazed lenses?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Bell super DH here. I hardly ever use the detachable chin. But I don't really do long climbs often. Even if I did not sure I could be bothered to take it off/carry it.

I thought I needed it but not convinced I do.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Try the Poc Ora goggles - they have no foam on the vents, which means they clear up much better - there work so well that I ripped the foam on th events off my Melon goggles too. The downside is you can get the occasional bit of crap through the vent.

The Poc's also happen to be the best goggles I have had, and I am a goggle whore who has owened every make and model you can think of, super comfy, amazing lenses, and great field of view

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Several companies make OTG (Over the glasses) goggles, e.g the 100% Acuri OTG

ACCURI OTG

and you can get prescription inserts for goggles too, e.g

Oakley Prescription MX Goggles - Prescription MX Goggles

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Try the Poc Ora goggles - they have no foam on the vents, which means they clear up much better - there work so well that I ripped the foam on th events off my Melon goggles too. The downside is you can get the occasional bit of crap through the vent.

The Poc's also happen to be the best goggles I have had, and I am a goggle whore who has owened every make and model you can think of, super comfy, amazing lenses, and great field of view
Hi R120,
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check these out. However, saying they clear up better indicates to me they still fog up. How quickly do they clear up? Most of the goggles I have used clear up ‘sort of ok’ after I start moving again. It is just the initial sudden stop for a few minutes after I have been ‘riding it like I stole it’ is when the fogging issue happens. This is reasonably easy to fix if you have a dry cloth to hand but in the rainy conditions in Wales the cloth eventually gets wet and it’s back to fogarama or big drips of water inside the goggles.

Last edited:

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Hi, No I have not tried double glazed goggles.
Have you?
Do they fog up after what I have described in my above post?
I can only speak from personal experience with my Oakley MX goggles which are fitted with a double glazed and vented hi-vis lense. These generally don't fog but when you stop as you said after a big effort they start to fog a bit but simply lifting them away from my face for a few seconds clears them. They are certainly no worse than glasses in this respect.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I can only speak from personal experience with my Oakley MX goggles which are fitted with a double glazed and vented hi-vis lense. These generally don't fog but when you stop as you said after a big effort they start to fog a bit but simply lifting them away from my face for a few seconds clears them. They are certainly no worse than glasses in this respect.
Thanks very much for the feedback Brizi,
I have done some goggling and found a dual vented lens for my Scott Prospect goggles so will give those a go.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
yes, hopeless.. in fact so hopeless that I stripped the second lens off and they actually steamed up less :D
Don't understand that? Can't say that's my experience and I've had single glazed too and they steam up much more easily. I've also used pinlock double glazed visor inserts on my motorcycle helmets and they are streets ahead of just using a visor. Perhaps it's down to individual manufacturer differences.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Don't understand that? Can't say that's my experience and I've had single glazed too and they steam up much more easily. I've also used pinlock double glazed visor inserts on my motorcycle helmets and they are streets ahead of just using a visor. Perhaps it's down to individual manufacturer differences.

I dunno mate but I was gutted when they didnt work.. im sure they were oakleys, I still have them somewhere but havent used them since I got rid of the enduro bike.. the only thing that would clear them was speed, and when you couldnt see, that was challenging :D

Im in wales and was using them for enduro and green laning etc, usually in the rain.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi R120,
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check these out. However, saying they clear up better indicates to me they still fog up. How quickly do they clear up? Most of the goggles I have used clear up ‘sort of ok’ after I start moving again. It is just the initial sudden stop for a few minutes after I have been ‘riding it like I stole it’ is when the fogging issue happens. This is reasonably easy to fix if you have a dry cloth to hand but in the rainy conditions in Wales the cloth eventually gets wet and it’s back to fogarama or big drips of water inside the goggles.
I would clarify by saying that they haven't fogged up to any notable extent for me

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
I dunno mate but I was gutted when they didnt work.. im sure they were oakleys, I still have them somewhere but havent used them since I got rid of the enduro bike.. the only thing that would clear them was speed, and when you couldnt see, that was challenging :D

Im in wales and was using them for enduro and green laning etc, usually in the rain.
That's what I used mine for originallly but Welsh rain is a special case!! Haha!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles