Bike Carrier for 3 Bikes

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Hi All, I am sure there are many threads for this but can anyone recommend a Tow Bar mounted Bike Carrier for 3 E-Bikes. I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid, my wife wants to buy a touring E-Bike and to future proof for my son, will eventually get an E-Bike

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
what car will you be putting it on, as 3 e-bikes plus rack could be 75kg+ and above the nose weight limit of the car

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I am looking at the Thule Easyfold XT 3, BuzzRack E-Hornet 3 or a Yakima Fold Click 3

Thule is quite expensive but had roof carriers in the past and they were solid. BuzzRack I would go for but the lack of folding could be an issue as would like to be able to throw in the back if staying somewhere. I had never heard of Yakima until I started looking but I think they are US based, they look solid and quite minimalist and cheaper than Thule. Will look at stock to see what's available. Car booked in the 10th May to fit the tow ball.

Bpietro

Jul 9, 2020
Atlanta
I am looking at the Thule Easyfold XT 3, BuzzRack E-Hornet 3 or a Yakima Fold Click 3

Thule is quite expensive but had roof carriers in the past and they were solid. BuzzRack I would go for but the lack of folding could be an issue as would like to be able to throw in the back if staying somewhere. I had never heard of Yakima until I started looking but I think they are US based, they look solid and quite minimalist and cheaper than Thule. Will look at stock to see what's available. Car booked in the 10th May to fit the tow ball.
I’ve had some experience with Thule racks. Nothing bad to say a lot of people use them. I don’t think you can go wrong. 3 e bikes is pretty heavy just make sure it’s good for the weight and you car can support the tongue weight

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Check max vertical mounting weight of your car / toe bar

The guy below is struggling with a vertical force.

Imagine if he was trying to keep 3 ebikes suspended in the air.

134CF238-49E5-4AD0-BD74-9262F207FB56.jpeg

If the toe bar doesn’t snap then there is also the chance that your car could do a wheelie with all that weight pressing down at the back ?

But hey, it would be the best and longest wheelie ever

Last edited:

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Check max vertical mounting weight of your car / toe bar

The guy below is struggling with a vertical force.

Imagine if he was trying to keep 3 ebikes suspended in the air.

View attachment 60213

If the toe bar doesn’t snap then there is also the chance that your car could do a wheelie with all that weight pressing down at the back ?

But hey, it would be the best and longest wheelie ever
Just over 100kg nose weight limit and 500kg cargo limit in trunk. So will be fine with 20kg rack and 3 e-bikes, I plan to remove the batteries when carrying also

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I have decided to go for a 2 bike rack as I will rarely have 3 bikes and will just put it in the boot/trunk if needed. After a lot more searching online, I have settled on the Buzzrack. The main worry I have with the Thule Easyfold XT 2 is if the 2nd bike will be able to be clamped, as the bar the clamp arms are on is fixed and on one side only (need to put clamp through the frame of Bike 1). My Cube Stereo has little space in the frame and I suspect it could be an issue. The Buzzrack E-Scorpion 2 has the bar in between the bikes with a lot more clearance between them also. Fingers crossed the right decision.

1620211970483.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I risk being boring because I have said this before, but it is worth the repetition.

Do not rely on the clamps alone to secure your pride and joy to the tow bar rack. Use additional security.
I use Gorilla straps in a figure-8 pattern around the clamp/bar interface. Others use toe straps, string, zip-ties, belts...........whatever.

No matter how secure you think it is, vibration of the road has the effect of sliding the clamps down a tapered tube section, until it lets go! The bike pivots down onto the giant belt sander that is the tarmac at whatever speed you happen to be going. It is traumatic! :eek:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I always use bungees and take them over the clamps so it can't pop upwards and attach them to frame of the carrier, not bike.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Does anyone have thoughts on the type of rack which clamps onto the back door of a Honda step wagon/Volkswagen camper type rack versus towbar mounted?
Pros and cons for both?
Our Step Wagon doesn’t have a tow bar fitted and I’m undecided as to if it’s worth getting one or not at the cost of approximately £350 with the price of the rack on top or just go for the type of rack that clamps to the door.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
For 3 heavy e-bikes where you may have a 100 kg load it may be better to modify a light utility trailer and even the used ones for jetski watercraft will take a lot of weight. Even the 1up Super Duty rack has a load capacity limit of 100 kgs and these may not be suitable for your car. The heavy duty hitches only work with Class III 2" hitch receivers and cannot be mounted to a bumper on a car or caravan. A pickup truck with a ramp may be the best option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles