Bike Bells 🔔🔔🔔

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Lately I’ve seen, and heard, the occasional wireless speaker dangling from a hikers backpack. These aren’t as bad as the earbuds but you can hear the music from a distance.

I just wish they’d play something I like 👍🏻. Like Blink 182 🎸

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
Wow, what a timely post.

All trails around me are multiple use, and many of them have twisty downhill sections with a lot of blind curves.

I've finally decided to buy a bell and the Timber is the one that always comes to the fore. But maybe I'm too cheap but, this thing is damn expensive for being a piece of metal ($30!). Anyway, I bought an identical looking chinese knockoff on aliexpress for $10. Of course it won't be the same thing. If it doesn't work, I'll get the real deal.

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
Lately I’ve seen, and heard, the occasional wireless speaker dangling from a hikers backpack. These aren’t as bad as the earbuds but you can hear the music from a distance.

I just wish they’d play something I like 👍🏻. Like Blink 182 🎸
O lawd, I see that A LOT, and I absolutely hate it. You spend a long time climbing hoping to enjoy the solitude, the wind, and the silence, and then some Marmaduke comes out of nowhere with some (invariably) shitty music playing on loudspeakers. As someone said, music is the only art form that can be aggressive.

Remember folks:
1) Nobody wants to see your wedding recordings.
2) Nobody cares about your kids pictures.
3) Nobody likes your music like you do.

:)

Dave G

Subscriber
Sep 25, 2022
Sheffield Uk
I normally speak to people walking as I approach slowly (walking pace) and indicate which side I intend to pass them. Most of the time they step to the side I said I would pass🤣 and in the main, they apologise. I usually say not to worry they have priority over me anyway, and generally all is well. Horses if approaching from the front, I stop and ask if it's ok to pass as I'm used to horses having been around my daughter's horses for some time, so I know that they can be skittish. If approaching from behind, I slow up and get the riders attention to check whether I can pass.
I stopped using a bell as a lot of people, including those on horseback have earbuds in.
It's the cyclists who think they are on the tour de France that annoy me, that insist on not slowing down on their approach and scare the hell out of those that are walking or riding. On some of the trails notices have been placed to request that these people observe who is on the shared trail and slow down. The countryside act in the UK spells all this out.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I normally speak to people walking as I approach slowly (walking pace) and indicate which side I intend to pass them. Most of the time they step to the side I said I would pass🤣 and in the main, they apologise. I usually say not to worry they have priority over me anyway, and generally all is well. Horses if approaching from the front, I stop and ask if it's ok to pass as I'm used to horses having been around my daughter's horses for some time, so I know that they can be skittish. If approaching from behind, I slow up and get the riders attention to check whether I can pass.
I stopped using a bell as a lot of people, including those on horseback have earbuds in.
It's the cyclists who think they are on the tour de France that annoy me, that insist on not slowing down on their approach and scare the hell out of those that are walking or riding. On some of the trails notices have been placed to request that these people observe who is on the shared trail and slow down. The countryside act in the UK spells all this out./QUOTE]

A bit of a problem given this:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It's the cyclists who think they are on the tour de France that annoy me, that insist on not slowing down on their approach and scare the hell out of those that are walking or riding. On some of the trails notices have been placed to request that these people observe who is on the shared trail and slow down. The countryside act in the UK spells all this out.

Suggesting reading the Countryside Act is a bit of a problem given this! 😲

Readability data suggest that the average reading age of the UK population is 9 years – that is, they have achieved the reading ability normally expected of a 9-year-old. The Guardian has a reading age of 14 and the Sun has a reading age of 8.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have a Timber bell too but I made the mistake in buying the one that comes with an ‘O’ ring, it’s rubbish at gripping my bars and just used to rotate when I tried to silence it or activate it, I tried all the rings it came with to make it non slip but nothing worked, I nearly filed but I thought I’d try one more thing, I got some kind of grip tape and some small strong tie-wraps and clamped it to my bars, it now works perfectly and doesn’t move a muscle, of course all this effort would have been worth it apart from the most important thing, 90% of the walkers take no notice of any kind of bell where I ride so I just shout “BIKE” or “COMING THROUGH” towards them, that seems to work a lot more effectively and it’s cheaper than a bell too 😁

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Clearly, the guy is wearing earbuds.
I just assume that everyone is clinically deaf. I ride according to that assumption and therefore it's felt a bonus if they actually hear me. I've used this method from when I started riding in my teens and carried it through motorbikes up to this day. I've yet to collide with anyone or had to take evasive action/lost control because of someone not hearing me.

No doubt I've jinxed it now though.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
i cannot stand double earbud idiots on multi use multi directional trails. I have a had few run ins where they could not hear get startled and I reply yeah take one of your f ing ear buds out so you can hear me. Now I turn on my bell 100 yds away and star screaming HELLO until I get close then just go around them whilst watching them clutch their pearls about nealy being runover without any warnings. LOL

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So would you take offence to someone that was deaf being on your multi-use paths?
I understand your question and the implied criticism of @Kevjob51
But as @Stihldog has referred to, walkers/riders with hearing impairment just might not have heard the rider/runner coming up behind them. They don't have to be deaf (as in totally deaf), just not 100%. My problem is the high frequency stuff like bells, telephone shrills, whistles and sadly for my wife and daughters, pretty much half of what women say! :rolleyes:

I have hearing aids and I wear them all my waking hours, except when riding my bike on the trails. They are just too expensive to lose. So I miss out on hearing the birds in the forest. :(

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I understand your question and the implied criticism of @Kevjob51
But as @Stihldog has referred to, walkers/riders with hearing impairment just might not have heard the rider/runner coming up behind them. They don't have to be deaf (as in totally deaf), just not 100%. My problem is the high frequency stuff like bells, telephone shrills, whistles and sadly for my wife and daughters, pretty much half of what women say! :rolleyes:

I have hearing aids and I wear them all my waking hours, except when riding my bike on the trails. They are just too expensive to lose. So I miss out on hearing the birds in the forest. :(
I’m not at the hearing aid point yet but I have been startled a few times in the forests. My wife is starting to give me that look. Whatever that means? 🥺 …when I ignore her. 👂

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
So would you take offence to someone that was deaf being on your multi-use paths?
no I would not as they do not have a choice earbuds people do. Now I know I would have no idea they are deaf till I interacted with them.

There are signs saying no earbuds but they still wear them. Wear one not both for safety reason we also have wildlife here that can eat your dog.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Now I know I would have no idea they are deaf till I interacted with them.

But by your own words, by the time you have interacted it's already escalated into shouting, startling, 'f king', nearly being run over etc. And even if I did see a device in someones ears I would have to give them the benefit that it might actually be a hearing aid. All said and done it's irrelevant for me anyway as I assume everyones deaf and so if I'm passing close it's at just over walking speed. As I pass I'll always give a 'morning' or summat and if they respond I guess they're not deaf!

There are signs saying no earbuds but they still wear them.

If thats the case you have every right to be pi$$ed, as I would be. Sounds like quite a good rule, never ever seen that in the UK though unfortunately, presumably because those who are hard of hearing/deaf would take offence. And walkers always win over anything else (at least over here). It's hard enough as it is to keep our permissions to cycle off road which is why the last thing we want to do is piss walkers off, even if they irritate the hell out of us with their selfishness.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Most first time users on this mountain must pass through the main entrance. Even though most have a map of some sort they become confused at the first junction. These are the phone-gazers.

They’re easy to spot and usually welcome any assistance. When I stop to help I can usually sense there level of ability. Number of hikers, apparel, footwear, dog, walking sticks etc.

To a newcomer the trail network can be confusing. They usually have a destination but they’re preparation determines which direction they should go. I don’t send them up MTB trails.

When I come across a single or group of hikers in a remote area, they are usually surprised. They don’t expect a bike. I always stop to exchange pleasantries or knowledge. My biggest concern is for a lone female without a dog. I’ll stop…but also make a mental note of the situation.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m not at the hearing aid point yet but I have been startled a few times in the forests. My wife is starting to give me that look. Whatever that means? 🥺 …when I ignore her. 👂
For many years I too thought I was not at the hearing aid point yet. I had an emotional prejudice against hearing aids based upon childhood experiences with deaf kids. That big pink hearing aid in their shirt pocket with two curly cables going into large plugs in their ears. I shudder at the memory. Worse than my childish and irrational prejudice was that the kids were all very deaf from birth and struggled to speak, so I also thought in my childish way that they were stupid. Yes, I know AWFUL of me, but I was a child. Anyway, hearing tech rapidly progressed and very soon the pink hearing aids and curly cables disappeared. But sadly, not from my psyche. Consequently, I had a morbid dread of "having" to wear hearing aids. :( My hearing was affected by a work incident and very slowly got worse from then on. More than 20 years later I could not hold a conversation in a busy pub. In 2022, I went to Specsavers in the UK (an optician that also does hearing). The young man that dealt with me and did the hearing test was perfectly pleasant and had obviously been trained to sell. But he had not been trained enough to be able to answer my questions with any conviction. I was not prepared to shell out a load of dosh when I had no clear idea why the aid that cost 2x was better than the one that cost 1x. So I withdrew from the process.
The following year was my Golden Wedding anniversary and it was a big piss up in the Village Hall, with a singer, music and a load of Caribbean food. I made a point of going round all the tables at least twice and talking to everyone (or trying to!) I found it impossible to conduct a sensible conversation with anyone; I just could not hear them clearly enough. I made an appointment at Boots hearing care as soon as possible. The audiologist there was a totally different type of person. She was fully trained and had zero difficulty in answering any of my questions. Even better she opened up my mind to other stuff that I hadn't considered. By the end of the first session, I was sold and bought their top of the range behind-the-ear hearing aids and I do not regret it one tiny little bit. :love:

My first outing was to the pub with two mates. With one sat opposite me and one to my right, both within 3 feet, I asked them what was different about me. Bearing in mind that I have very short hair, there was no hair there to cover over the aids. Neither could see anything. When I told them and pointed them out and they got closer they were both amazed. That totally blew out of the water my childhood fear of being "different". In fact, I had already been treated differently without realising it, because previously I was the guy with the hearing problem. Now I'm not!

@Stihldog I believe that you have been operating chainsaws for years. Even if you religiously wore ear defenders, your hearing will have suffered some damage. Take your cue from your family and friends. If they say you have hearing problem then believe them and do something about it. Hearing difficulty is isolating. In the UK it has clearly been associated with an increased risk of Dementia. I can now hear birds in the forest, gentle rain, take part in conversations easily, and other good stuff. The only downside is that I no longer do silent farts!:ROFLMAO:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For many years I too thought I was not at the hearing aid point yet. I had an emotional prejudice against hearing aids based upon childhood experiences with deaf kids. That big pink hearing aid in their shirt pocket with two curly cables going into large plugs in their ears. I shudder at the memory. Worse than my childish and irrational prejudice was that the kids were all very deaf from birth and struggled to speak, so I also thought in my childish way that they were stupid. Yes, I know AWFUL of me, but I was a child. Anyway, hearing tech rapidly progressed and very soon the pink hearing aids and curly cables disappeared. But sadly, not from my psyche. Consequently, I had a morbid dread of "having" to wear hearing aids. :( My hearing was affected by a work incident and very slowly got worse from then on. More than 20 years later I could not hold a conversation in a busy pub. In 2022, I went to Specsavers in the UK (an optician that also does hearing). The young man that dealt with me and did the hearing test was perfectly pleasant and had obviously been trained to sell. But he had not been trained enough to be able to answer my questions with any conviction. I was not prepared to shell out a load of dosh when I had no clear idea why the aid that cost 2x was better than the one that cost 1x. So I withdrew from the process.
The following year was my Golden Wedding anniversary and it was a big piss up in the Village Hall, with a singer, music and a load of Caribbean food. I made a point of going round all the tables at least twice and talking to everyone (or trying to!) I found it impossible to conduct a sensible conversation with anyone; I just could not hear them clearly enough. I made an appointment at Boots hearing care as soon as possible. The audiologist there was a totally different type of person. She was fully trained and had zero difficulty in answering any of my questions. Even better she opened up my mind to other stuff that I hadn't considered. By the end of the first session, I was sold and bought their top of the range behind-the-ear hearing aids and I do not regret it one tiny little bit. :love:

My first outing was to the pub with two mates. With one sat opposite me and one to my right, both within 3 feet, I asked them what was different about me. Bearing in mind that I have very short hair, there was no hair there to cover over the aids. Neither could see anything. When I told them and pointed them out and they got closer they were both amazed. That totally blew out of the water my childhood fear of being "different". In fact, I had already been treated differently without realising it, because previously I was the guy with the hearing problem. Now I'm not!

@Stihldog I believe that you have been operating chainsaws for years. Even if you religiously wore ear defenders, your hearing will have suffered some damage. Take your cue from your family and friends. If they say you have hearing problem then believe them and do something about it. Hearing difficulty is isolating. In the UK it has clearly been associated with an increased risk of Dementia. I can now hear birds in the forest, gentle rain, take part in conversations easily, and other good stuff. The only downside is that I no longer do silent farts!:ROFLMAO:
J*****. Some of this stuff is starting to sound (no pun intended) familiar. I gave a brief explanation to @irie also, but with some detail and probably some excuses.

I’m one to cross one bridge at a time …but this might be the bridge I need too cross right now. In the past year the ringing and buzzing and confusing conversations have slowly increased.

SH*T, maybe there’s some denial here 🤷‍♂️

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
J*****. Some of this stuff is starting to sound (no pun intended) familiar. I gave a brief explanation to @irie also, but with some detail and probably some excuses.

I’m one to cross one bridge at a time …but this might be the bridge I need too cross right now. In the past year the ringing and buzzing and confusing conversations have slowly increased.

SH*T, maybe there’s some denial here 🤷‍♂️
Only one way to find out. Simple as.

Emiarson

Feb 26, 2024
USA
Bike bells, gotta love 'em, right? Reminds me of when I was a kid cruising around the neighborhood, ringing my bell like crazy. It was like my own little theme song!

But hey, speaking of bells, have you ever thought about upgrading to something a bit more, well, attention-grabbing? I stumbled upon this awesome train horn (Milwaukee Train Horn + Remote) online, and it got me thinking. Imagine rolling down the street with a horn that turns heads!

Last edited:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I like the classic old schools 80s/90s bells where you pull the lever once and get the "ring ring ring" sound
I often see people testing bells in shops and I'm convinced they are seeking the iconic sound from childhood

I usually walk around 6-10miles each day and the amount of people on bikes who fly past at full speed, literally within an inch of me...
Makes me want to clap them off the bike, they never warn you either, all it takes is for one person they pass to step sideways to avoid dog poop or something...

doesn't kill you to slow down to 10mph where you can safely stop basically on a dime... or pass with as much space as possible
A few times I've had deliveroo/ubereats riders fly past me as well and thought a swarm of bees were coming... literally freaked me out..

It's no surprise people hate cyclists with how disrespectful some people are.

Last edited:

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Anyway, I bought an identical looking chinese knockoff on aliexpress for $10. Of course it won't be the same thing. If it doesn't work, I'll get the real deal.
Any update on this? Looking to try out a bell but don't know it I want to invest 30 bucks for a shelf item if I don't like it.

Also, is there a link to the one you picked up?

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
Any update on this? Looking to try out a bell but don't know it I want to invest 30 bucks for a shelf item if I don't like it.

Also, is there a link to the one you picked up?
The bell has been working fine. It's the "older" model that attaches to your handlebars (35mm) with a rubber band, but it's been working fine so far. It's actually very loud and has a sound that "lingers". I deadened it a bit by wrapping electrician's tape around the bell one (outside). This made it work well.

This is the one I bought:

However it's now $14 instead of $10. If you click on this page, there are other options that are cheaper.

My guess is that they're mostly the same, being that the brand one is built "under parental supervision" of the requesting company :)

It works well and stays silent when locked. It has 3 levels of noise, but can be somewhat silent even in the highest noise levels on flat trails.

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
Spent a few days in Amsterdam and was determined to come back with a bell, cost 7 Euros (made in Holland!) and works really well. Avoids giving folk a heart attack as I go past!
IMG_20240312_152757953.jpg

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I get a lot of "Thank you for the bell" comments as I ride passed walkers on the trail with my Timber bell dinging. There's no way I could think about a manual bell on some the really bumpy twisty downhills.

But, I also have a manual bell for the smooth places where the Timber is silent.

20240426_161414.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles