Big guy, which motor might be best?

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I have turbo levo comp -21, I have done 2000km hard trail/bikepark riding with it. Perfect engine, wouldn't change it to anything else. Normally using only trail mode because Turbo is so addictive that after that everything else feels lame :D But of course when I want to have fun uphill, it's Turbo time! I have also daily commuter with Bosch Gen 4, after a year and 4000km's the engine failed. A software error and I got new engine after 4 weeks.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
I can guarantee that a riders weight will make no difference to any ebike motor. After all, you're not going to weigh more than a cargo bike and they don't have motor issues any more than a light weight rider. We see motors from big dispatch riders with legs like tree trunks and from skinny 85 year olds. Inside the motor wear or damage from rider weight or power will be identical.

By the way, Yamaha do have external bearings like all other motors. But, also like most motors, they do use a couple of bushes internally.
Of course weight makes a difference. More work is done when mass increases. The most basic of physics.
Imagine a motor pushing a 60KG person vs pushing a 120KG person.
If you don't believe it, fill up six10-litre buckets of water (or find 60KG of weight, such as another person) and walk up a local hill.
Cargo bikes are an entirely different thing to eMTBs but physics still applies. Braking is longer, climbing is slower etc.
Given the cost of carbon just to save a kilo, the $$$ is not worth it. You'd be better off carrying 1KG less of water/food/gear or just losing 1KG weight (free and for a 120KG person, just a loss of less than 1%).
As for motors, everyone has their own story. Look at the weight limits made by the bike manufacturer.
Specialized Turbo Levo Expert had a 109KG limit. This is not just about the motor, but hubs etc. There are threads here like Am I too heavy for an ebike? - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Of course weight makes a difference. More work is done when mass increases. The most basic of physics.
Imagine a motor pushing a 60KG person vs pushing a 120KG person.
If you don't believe it, fill up six10-litre buckets of water (or find 60KG of weight, such as another person) and walk up a local hill.
Cargo bikes are an entirely different thing to eMTBs but physics still applies. Braking is longer, climbing is slower etc.
Given the cost of carbon just to save a kilo, the $$$ is not worth it. You'd be better off carrying 1KG less of water/food/gear or just losing 1KG weight (free and for a 120KG person, just a loss of less than 1%).
As for motors, everyone has their own story. Look at the weight limits made by the bike manufacturer.
Specialized Turbo Levo Expert had a 109KG limit. This is not just about the motor, but hubs etc. There are threads here like Am I too heavy for an ebike? - EMTB Forums
I think you're forgetting a few facts here. An ebike motor is designed to take 2 to 3 times the weight and power than it does in everyday life, therefore a heavier person will make no noticeable difference to the motor overall.
Imagine adding 20bhp to your car's engine, the stress through the gearbox and axle has now increased, but it won't wear out in the lifetime of the car because it's designed to take it. An ebike motor is much the same.
I am not saying that if you could measure wear and tear to a microscopic level, you would not find any difference between a motor ridden by a heavy person and one by a light person. What I am saying, is that it would be inconsequential.
I am also unsure why cargo bikes are an entirely different thing? They are extremely heavy and make the motor work very hard (without issues). If you think that riders weight makes a difference when it comes to jumps and obstacles, the crankshaft and crankshaft bearings can withstand tones of load. They will not be concerned with a few extra kg's landing on them.
Weight limits set by bike manufacturers are purely for frame and suspension, not motors. Look at a standard non electric MTB and the weight limit is very similar to that of any EMTB.
I agree totally that it is not all about the motor, but my post only mentions the motor because this is my area of expertise. If I can assure
daCaTindaHaT (catchy name) that he need not worry about the motor and someone else with similar experience assures him of a few strong frames etc. then maybe he has a chance of finding a bike he feels comfortable with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles