BHF - London to Brighton

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I have done the LBF twice on an acoustic, many years ago though when I was somewhat fitter lol. I don't remember ANY of it being offroad (unless counting the start in the park), but it sounds like they have changed the route since. The 1st time I didn't attempt the hill, the 2nd time I vowed I would do it (and I did- just) but it's virtually impossible mainly because of the sheer amount of cyclists bunching up at the foot. I was going slower than walking speed as a result, it's only worth doing for self reasons. Other than that, just walk it, most people did from what I saw. I reckon I could do it on the eeb with a 625Wh batt but walking the hill. The downhill after saw my highest top speed on a pushbike to this day, around the 50mph mark IIRC. Shit my pants tbh but I wasn't gonna brake :)

I must admit I wouldn't mind doing it again, it's a great feeling to be in such a large group of cyclists, it was the main highlight for me. It's not like it's just the start either, theres just so many (I think it was 27,000?) that it's enough to keep plenty of people all around you throughout the entire ride. The nutters who do the whole lot in restrictive, hot fancy dress must be superhuman.
That’s because this thread is talking about the Off-road route...

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
That’s because this thread is talking about the Off-road route...

Thought so. The off-road route didn't even exist when I did the L2B and I thought I did kinda caveat the possibility that the route had changed within my post as well but clearly not well enough...

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
OK, the BHF website states:
* Distance: approx 60 miles (to be confirmed in 2021)
* Profile: 4,900 ft climbing
* Terrain: cycle tracks, forest single track, South Downs Link

louiela75

May 12, 2021
Bordon, Hampshire
Screenshot_20210512-024937.png

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
What is the best tyre pattern for this race? I am looking for low rolling resistance with sufficient grip for this event.

I am going to do it on a single battery charge, so I will ride half the distance with a battery off with the aim to preserve the charge for the one mile climb towards the end of the race.
It will be a good challenge, given that I have 500Wh battery with 85% batt capacity.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Ive done the off road route on my Levo as a warm up (dont ask) if it helps, 700wh battery, eco mode the whole way set to 10/20, Assegai front DHR rear, ended up with 14% battery left according to mission control ?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Ive done the off road route on my Levo as a warm up (dont ask) if it helps, 700wh battery, eco mode the whole way set to 10/20, Assegai front DHR rear, ended up with 14% battery left according to mission control

This is hugely useful, thanks @MrSimmo
After how many km is the mammoth hill that separates men from the boys? I am asking as I understand that this year’s route is 60 miles in total.

I am prepping for the race with my Ducati branded Thok with 500wh battery.

With the Eco set to Low on E-Tube it shows 20% assist and 30Nm (on STunlocker); theoretically I should be able to make the full distance.
My battery has 85% health and I am testing it to failure. Current measurements:
Ride #1 - 49km - battery state 76%(?)
Ride #2 - 21km - batt state 55%
Next ride I will see when the batt gives a ghost and what is an effective range on one charge.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
After how many km is the mammoth hill that separates men from the boys? I am asking as I understand that this year’s route is 60 miles in total.
I think you're referring to Ditchling Beacon. It's towards the end of the route, on the northern edge of Brighton. Once up it, you're more or less coasting downhill all the way to the finish line.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

I am prepping for the race with my Ducati branded Thok with 500wh battery.

With the Eco set to Low on E-Tube it shows 20% assist and 30Nm (on STunlocker); theoretically I should be able to make the full distance.
My battery has 85% health and I am testing it to failure. Current measurements:
Ride #1 - 49km - battery state 76%(?)
Ride #2 - 21km - batt state 55%
Next ride I will see when the batt gives a ghost and what is an effective range on one charge.

Np ?

The Ditchling climb which is the last big climb is about 59 miles / 94km iirc. It's about a 650ft climb over a km or so. I used the 2019 off road route GPX as the route I took which was about 66 miles total, so this years route may be slightly different (not seen the GPX as I'm away when its on so haven't registered).

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
So, today I went for a relatively easy, flat terrain ride, anticipating my battery to die of exhaustion, well, it’s still going and apparently I have 43% left. So far the measurements are as follows:
Ride #1 - 49km - battery state 76%
Ride #2 - 21km - battery state 55%
Ride #3 - 25km - battery state 43%

That is 95km on one charge, on Eco (low) setting, with 43% left. Final ride will be this coming week, when I will find out at what point the BMS decides to shut-down.

DSleazy

Aug 15, 2021
Surrey
I'm still in two minds whether to take the ebike or not.

Total route (officially) is 61 miles and doesn't go via Ditchling Beacon - that's the road route. Off-road is via Beeding Hill (if you're a local) or Truleigh Hill.

Shorter route this year as the starting point is in Walton in Surrey.

I reckon it's about 54 miles to the start of the climb so getting there on Eco/Tour should be fine.

But... so much of the ride is flat, I'm not sure I can handle lumping my 25kg Haibike with no pedal assistance just to get me up the final climb easier.

Maybe I'll let the weather decide. Wet'n'miserable and I'll take the ebike, sunny and dry and I'll take the hardtail.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Finally I killed the battery, it took me 5 rides:

Ride #1 - 49km - battery state 76%
Ride #2 - 21km - battery 55%
Ride #3 - 25km - battery 43%
Ride #4 - 24km - battery 36%
Ride #5 - 32km - battery 9%

That is 151 km on one charge, however, riding on Low setting of the Eco mode. That is 20% Assist and 30Nm of torque, I.e. not much fun to be had, but now I know what is my bike’s effective range.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The majority of that is along the Downs link, which is pleasant & pretty unchallenging. I've ridden it from Guildford to Shoreham on a normy in about three hours before & you can definitely do it in eco or off altogether I reckon without much trouble. And there's a decent pub, The Bax castle en route in Horsham. (y)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Some interesting info is emerging.
I have done BHF L2B race today, I clocked 97km in total, but iirc the race ended at 95km. I still have 62% battery state, so I could have been much more aggressive with the use of Power! I could do the entire 95km in Eco, with occasional Trail for good measure and fun.

Also, I saw 8x eMTBs in the race, all having more fun, they understood better their range and motor capability. Next time I will be better prepared and give it horns.

For completeness, I have done first 40km in manual mode (motor off). At that point I decided that I have enough power to finish the race ‘ON’ and I went into Eco mode for the remaining 55km. My Eco was set as Lv 4/10, 100%, 20Nm, St 5/5 (whatever that means, I understand the 20Nm, the rest not so much), but that is a discussion for another thread.

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
Well done to all that went yesterday. I missed out but hope to enter next year. Anyone have the gpx file to share please?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
For completeness, I thought I would share some intel from the L2B OR 2022.

It was an epic event, very well organised, with marshalls, pitstops, mechanics and medics.

Last year (with range anxiety) I rode first 40km in manual (motor-off). This year I rode almost entire ride in Eco mode (Lv4/10, 34Nm), the Beeding Hill in Trial (Lv6/10, 63Nm), and flat road sections with motor-off.

At the finish line I had 29% battery left with remaining 45km range indicated on the bike display. Interesting to note is that the theoretical range shown on the bike at a start was 170km, it was fairly linear until I got to the infamous Truleigh (Beeding) Hill, where I ripped up the hill in Trail mode. On top of the hill I had 18km range left, but I knew that the next section will be downhill. When I got to the bottom the range increased to 45km. I suspect that the BMS is smart enough to assess the actual load during the ride and updates the range accordingly.

And this is I on the finish line:

18F55AAA-8927-4CD0-B7B4-BB45E0E52EB7.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles