Best rear shock for Rise?.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
TTX coil
To get 150mm travel would need 210X60 shock not easy to source, older 216X63 air shocks are usually pretty poor compared to newer shocks Rockshox Monach Plus old Fox Float X etc

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The Rise is less XC than the SL with its dated geometry & yes have ridden both mine is 160mm/140mm & the SL 150/150 with fox34 😂 an XC fork

It’s an XC bike. And if it has the Race Face Turbine R wheelset those are for sure designed only for XC trails. Float X would be a very good choice in my opinion. Over shocking the bike other than warranty concerns should be fine for 10mm. You could run a little more sag and get a softer ride which from reviews on the bike it seems less plush than the levo SL. I wouldn’t recommend a coil on any air shock bike unless either they say it’s designed for it OR you don’t pump or jump anything legit.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
individual definitions vary, but by no means do I consider Rise to be an "XC" bike and I don't ride it like one.
That aside, Push 11.6 is phenomenal on the Rise. Take quality suspension over the quantity approach of trying to squeeze out an additional 10mm.
The stock Float wasn't bad most of the time, but did heat and stiffen up on lengthy descents and I had little confidence it would maintain performance over time.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Anyone running a topaz? I just put one back on my transition, and forgot how nice they feel. (I had one on a scout a few years back, just swapped a bomber CR on the patrol). My rise has the DPX2, and it's just ok, I slapped in a bigger volume spacer and will try removing the negative chamber spacer next time I take it off the bike.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
sorry you’re mad. It’s an XC bike. SL is an all mountain. Mine is 160/157. But debating bikes to be in an upper class after changing suspension is for idiots. Pro mtb reviewers simply said the orbeas suspension is more XC than SL. And for Christ sake it is. Shouldn’t get hurt feelings man.
🤔

Categories don't matter... generally, but the rise is not an XC bike.

From a high level:
-Geometry - The rise does not have XC geometry. The reach figures are 15mm longer then optimum for seated pedaling (weighting the front end without standing) The seat tube angle is 1 degree too steep for maximum power output (but it is in the window for optimized climbing f/r balance). The stack is too tall to force significant weight into your hands in the seated riding position (xc optimized would have 10-15mm shorter head tubes in most sizes.
-Kinematics - The rise has kinematics that are simply not xc leaning... at all. The antisquat drops off from 100% at sag, to under 85% at half way through the travel. Meaning, the anti-squat is optimized for seated pedaling and not standing and cranking out watts in a higher gear... like you would need to do in an xc race. The anti-rise is lower then you would ideally want in an XC platform. The leverage ratio is progressive (2.9 to 2.3) where as a true XC platform would as an XC platform would typically utilize a smaller stroke shock with a rather stagnant or regressive leverage curve. The idea being, that on an XC platform, you want to utilize a high compression ratio shock which allows packaging advantages, as well as tune advantages, such as being able to run a linear rebound tune, and utilizing the a regressive leverage rate towards the end in order to even out the rebound characteristics.

I digress... categories are meaningless, right up until some one makes a claim that a bike is staunchly in one category and not another and everyone is wrong. In this case if we buy the mtb marketing department and mtb journalism categorization garbage that you're pushing (very aggressively btw) in this thread, then you are incorrect.

The rise is very obviously, a general trail bike or what we used to call an all mountain bike. It has more travel then current xc bike trends, geometry that clearly takes it out of an XC riding style (selective weight in your hands instead of persistent/forced) and has a kinematic that does not purely suit an XC riding style or XC terrain.

Now that we've clarified your dude bro off topic stuff... back to the OP.

I honestly quite like the fox float X on the rise. I was not a fan of the DPX2 due to the design of that product and the float X is a significant upgrade. The damping circuits are effective and balanced for this bike (provided you have a shock tune near the oem tune), the MCU bottom out bumper in the float X is a really nice addition and allows some freedom to run 30-33% sag and have soft bottom out events. In my personal opinion, the float X is supple enough where I am not missing the traction advantages that coil shocks usually have, and I get to have a nice amount of return force to help make the bike playful and ready to pop off of small trail features without a huge amount of input. Generally, I find that the rise benefits from a fairly open compression and rebound circuit. Since there is a smidge of extra kinetic energy on the rise then a normal bike, the breakaway force (stiction) of an air shock becomes less of a detriment then it otherwise would be.

I personally have a 210x55 float X factory as well as an 8.5x2.5 DVO Jade Coil (with 2 offset bushings). The coil shock on the rise does provide an increase in ground hugging traction... but the reality for me is that I start to run into the limit of the frame/geo with the coil shock and the bike is not quite as willing to leave the ground as easily. I think the 210x55 float X is paired well to the limits of the kinematic, geometry and intention of the bike.

Of course, this is a subjective subject and everyone has different preferences.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire

From a high level:
-Geometry - The rise does not have XC geometry. The reach figures are 15mm longer then optimum for seated pedaling (weighting the front end without standing) The seat tube angle is 1 degree too steep for maximum power output (but it is in the window for optimized climbing f/r balance). The stack is too tall to force significant weight into your hands in the seated riding position (xc optimized would have 10-15mm shorter head tubes in most sizes.
-Kinematics - The rise has kinematics that are simply not xc leaning... at all. The antisquat drops off from 100% at sag, to under 85% at half way through the travel. Meaning, the anti-squat is optimized for seated pedaling and not standing and cranking out watts in a higher gear... like you would need to do in an xc race. The anti-rise is lower then you would ideally want in an XC platform. The leverage ratio is progressive (2.9 to 2.3) where as a true XC platform would as an XC platform would typically utilize a smaller stroke shock with a rather stagnant or regressive leverage curve. The idea being, that on an XC platform, you want to utilize a high compression ratio shock which allows packaging advantages, as well as tune advantages, such as being able to run a linear rebound tune, and utilizing the a regressive leverage rate towards the end in order to even out the rebound characteristics.

I digress... categories are meaningless, right up until some one makes a claim that a bike is staunchly in one category and not another and everyone is wrong. In this case if we buy the mtb marketing department and mtb journalism categorization garbage that you're pushing (very aggressively btw) in this thread, then you are incorrect.

The rise is very obviously, a general trail bike or what we used to call an all mountain bike. It has more travel then current xc bike trends, geometry that clearly takes it out of an XC riding style (selective weight in your hands instead of persistent/forced) and has a kinematic that does not purely suit an XC riding style or XC terrain.

I honestly quite like the fox float X on the rise. I was not a fan of the DPX2 due to the design of that product and the float X is a significant upgrade. The damping circuits are effective and balanced for this bike (provided you have a shock tune near the oem tune), the MCU bottom out bumper in the float X is a really nice addition and allows some freedom to run 30-33% sag and have soft bottom out events. In my personal opinion, the float X is supple enough where I am not missing the traction advantages that coil shocks usually have, and I get to have a nice amount of return force to help make the bike playful and ready to pop off of small trail features without a huge amount of input. Generally, I find that the rise benefits from a fairly open compression and rebound circuit. Since there is a smidge of extra kinetic energy on the rise then a normal bike, the breakaway force (stiction) of an air shock becomes less of a detriment then it otherwise would be.

I personally have a 210x55 float X factory as well as an 8.5x2.5 DVO Jade Coil (with 2 offset bushings). The coil shock on the rise does provide an increase in ground hugging traction... but the reality for me is that I start to run into the limit of the frame/geo with the coil shock and the bike is not quite as willing to leave the ground as easily. I think the 210x55 float X is paired well to the limits of the kinematic, geometry and intention of the bike.

Is the stock rise shock trunnion or standard?. Does this matter when buying a new shock or can I run both?.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire

From a high level:

Yes I agree. I would consider the rise a trail bike and I’m sure that’s what most people use it for.
Thats interesting that you prefer the float x over the alternatives. Do you think a float x2 would work on the rise?.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Yes I agree. I would consider the rise a trail bike and I’m sure that’s what most people use it for.
Thats interesting that you prefer the float x over the alternatives. Do you think a float x2 would work on the rise?.

A few things... I do not have any personal experience with fitting the x2 on the rise, but there are more then a handful of forum posts I have seen with clearance issues stating that the x2 does not fit. I have an XL m20 frame in my garage and a M m20 (my wife's) and the shock clearance does appear to be a bit better on the xl frame then the m frame... that being said, the area around the shock eyelet/attachment point on the top tube, is very tight and I can't see that it would fit.

However, even if it did... I would personally not purchase a current generation X2. The current gen x2, has some functional/design issues that in my opinion, make it a pretty poor shock to own long term. The last revision of the previous x2 (2019 - 2020 my i believe) was a good performer overall, and a bit more reliable then the 2016 - 2018 units. Those 19-20' model years had the fixes/upgrades to fix the short rebuild cycle (under 6 months in my experience) and some other issues with that platform.

I especially, would not buy a current generation X2 at this exact moment... again I can't elaborate online, but fox there are going to be some revisions soon that will likely make anyone with a 2021 - 2022 x2 pretty bummed.

I'm rambling now... For me, I would recommend sticking with a stock sized 210x55 shock for the Rise. I think for the majority of riders that don't want to fiddle with the shock setup constantly and want the bike to fit in a wide variety of terrain from slow tech, high speed chop to fast and flow trails... the float X is the obvious choice. For users that are willing to mess around with mullet setups, stock size coil setups for increased traction at the expense of some of the bikes original character... a coil shock can make sense. In that case, I would likely stick with a dhx2.

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
The good news is you can pick up DPX2 pretty inexpensively used and, to me, they will be better than the stock DPS for extended downhills. I'm sure the Float X is an improvement and in a perfect world, I'd get one. Maybe down the road, but I'm not too selective on things like this really.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
The good news is you can pick up DPX2 pretty inexpensively used and, to me, they will be better than the stock DPS for extended downhills. I'm sure the Float X is an improvement and in a perfect world, I'd get one. Maybe down the road, but I'm not too selective on things like this really.

In my opinion the dpx2 isn't enough of an upgrade over the dps that I would expend the cost to do that. I would if my dps needed a rebuild, and a take-off dpx2 was more or less in the ballpark of that cost. I have issues with the dpx2, it's not a horrible shock, and one of the bikes in my fleet still has one. However, the way that the compression and rebound settings impact each other makes it a constant hunt for the right setup for me.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
A few things... I do not have any personal experience with fitting the x2 on the rise, but there are more then a handful of forum posts I have seen with clearance issues stating that the x2 does not fit. I have an XL m20 frame in my garage and a M m20 (my wife's) and the shock clearance does appear to be a bit better on the xl frame then the m frame... that being said, the area around the shock eyelet/attachment point on the top tube, is very tight and I can't see that it would fit.

However, even if it did... I would personally not purchase a current generation X2. The current gen x2, has some functional/design issues that in my opinion, make it a pretty poor shock to own long term. The last revision of the previous x2 (2019 - 2020 my i believe) was a good performer overall, and a bit more reliable then the 2016 - 2018 units. Those 19-20' model years had the fixes/upgrades to fix the short rebuild cycle (under 6 months in my experience) and some other issues with that platform.

I especially, would not buy a current generation X2 at this exact moment... again I can't elaborate online, but fox there are going to be some revisions soon that will likely make anyone with a 2021 - 2022 x2 pretty bummed.

I'm rambling now... For me, I would recommend sticking with a stock sized 210x55 shock for the Rise. I think for the majority of riders that don't want to fiddle with the shock setup constantly and want the bike to fit in a wide variety of terrain from slow tech, high speed chop to fast and flow trails... the float X is the obvious choice. For users that are willing to mess around with mullet setups, stock size coil setups for increased traction at the expense of some of the bikes original character... a coil shock can make sense. In that case, I would likely stick with a dhx2.
Out of interest, what fork are you running on your rise?.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
I have tried all of this on my Rise M10...! I initially put a Rockshox debonair 216x63 on it to increase the travel. and then a Zeb upfront to make it more 'enduro' focused! Then I swapped the RS shock for a EXT storia Coil (210x55) but kept the travel as standard after lots of advice from experts! (TF tuned, Jtech). I then put a Coil conversion in the Zeb (smashpot). Enduro wide wheels from Hunt and decent DD casing tyres...You see where I was going ;)

I found that after doing all of this, the bike rode nice, but it lost the playfulness and pop that it had when I bought it...It also weighed over 21kg! I was also worried that the frame was possibly NOT up to the type of enduro type riding that I was looking to do on the bike :(

SO, I have now put the DPX2 rear shock back onto the Rise and I am looking for a suitable fork to put on (I stupidly sold the Fox 36 Factory when I got the Zeb...Doh!) I will probably opt for either the Lyrik ultimates or the Pike ultimates to save weight!

I am also going to put some lighter 'all mountain' tyres back on it too...I have realised that this bike is more of a Trail bike and NOT an Enduro weapon ;) It is an awesome bike for big days out and all mountain riding, but it ISN'T an Enduro Racer! Look at the differences between the Occam & the Rallon...

I have bought a dedicated Enduro bike for racing, which is up to that job!

These are just my experiences with this bike over the last 12 months...Orbea have got it pretty sorted out of the box with the M10 or M-team ;)

Cheers, Dave.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I have tried all of this on my Rise M10...! I initially put a Rockshox debonair 216x63 on it to increase the travel. and then a Zeb upfront to make it more 'enduro' focused! Then I swapped the RS shock for a EXT storia Coil (210x55) but kept the travel as standard after lots of advice from experts! (TF tuned, Jtech). I then put a Coil conversion in the Zeb (smashpot). Enduro wide wheels from Hunt and decent DD casing tyres...You see where I was going ;)

I found that after doing all of this, the bike rode nice, but it lost the playfulness and pop that it had when I bought it...It also weighed over 21kg! I was also worried that the frame was possibly NOT up to the type of enduro type riding that I was looking to do on the bike :(

SO, I have now put the DPX2 rear shock back onto the Rise and I am looking for a suitable fork to put on (I stupidly sold the Fox 36 Factory when I got the Zeb...Doh!) I will probably opt for either the Lyrik ultimates or the Pike ultimates to save weight!

I am also going to put some lighter 'all mountain' tyres back on it too...I have realised that this bike is more of a Trail bike and NOT an Enduro weapon ;) It is an awesome bike for big days out and all mountain riding, but it ISN'T an Enduro Racer! Look at the differences between the Occam & the Rallon...

I have bought a dedicated Enduro bike for racing, which is up to that job!

These are just my experiences with this bike over the last 12 months...Orbea have got it pretty sorted out of the box with the M10 or M-team ;)

Cheers, Dave.
Thanks for this insight. I always suspected that you would lose some of the playfulness by making it more enduro focused. Like you said it’s a great trail bike and your better off getting a separate enduro bike.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I've gotta say the floatX and 36 combo is pretty sweet. The factory upgrade has been worth it for tuning too. You can hit enduro tracks, just not quite at enduro speed, but you also get to have fun popping off things, hopping over things and pumping rather than plowing. So much fun...

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Out of interest, what fork are you running on your rise?.

I have a 2022 fox factory 36 with a vorsprung luftkappe and a 160mm air spring.

grKarFx.jpg

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
What do you think about Fox DPX2 comparing to Float X?
I have the Rise from 2021 version with Fox DPX2 and I wonder if it is worth the money to exchange for Fox Float X (I have the option to buy a Fox Float X with a Rise tune).
Like many people, previously I thought about a coil shock, but did not want to lose the original character of the Rise.

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
Couple of my thoughts. A 160mm fork on the front of the Rise works and works well. Have a few rides with a Lyrik and the fun factor has gone up with no drawbacks to me. As for the rear, from what I've read, the Float X seems to be a better shock. I have a DPX2 on the Rise and another bike, so it isn't like I don't like it, but I'd have picked up a Float X is the DPX2 wasn't half the cost.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Whats your thoughts on the 160.. I have been thinking about it but not sure.

Also, I thought the benefits of luftkappe null with redesigned air springs in newer model forks?

I like the 160mm air spring on the rise. Some of the geo changes are beneficial (HTA and BB height) and some are sorta neutral (stack and sta). I feel like the 160mm air spring is especially beneficial for me because I like to run around 30% sag on my rise, and that allows me to run 22% ish sag in front and the bike feels well balanced.

The luftkappe just adds more negative volume which essentially provides a bit more mid stroke support. I like it on the 36 because I find that the 36 (especially the 2022 model) gets harsh quickly when you add compression damping, despite being very open or under damped (compared to the 2018 - 2019 grip 2 damper). The luftkappe allows me to compensate a bit for the compression nuances of the 36 using the air spring... which is not ideal, but it does actually work well in practice for me.

What do you think about Fox DPX2 comparing to Float X?
I have the Rise from 2021 version with Fox DPX2 and I wonder if it is worth the money to exchange for Fox Float X (I have the option to buy a Fox Float X with a Rise tune).
Like many people, previously I thought about a coil shock, but did not want to lose the original character of the Rise.

I think that the float X is a nice upgrade over the dpx2, but I wouldn't spend more then 200 dollars making the swap if it were me. The truth is, that the dpx2 isn't a bad shock, but the nuances of how the rebound/compression impact each other can make it complicated to find the right setup. If you happen to be in the right window and can find a consistent rebound setting that works and are happy with the resulting compression, you're golden. If you're a bit pickier (as I am) and you're going to all sorts of different riding locations and as a result, changing setups... it can lead to constant clicker hunting.

Long story short, I wouldn't spend a ton making the swap, but if you can sell the dpx2 for 300 bucks, and get a float X for 450ish... and your dpx2 has some riding seasons on it and may need a rebuild soon, I would opt for that route.

Couple of my thoughts. A 160mm fork on the front of the Rise works and works well. Have a few rides with a Lyrik and the fun factor has gone up with no drawbacks to me. As for the rear, from what I've read, the Float X seems to be a better shock. I have a DPX2 on the Rise and another bike, so it isn't like I don't like it, but I'd have picked up a Float X is the DPX2 wasn't half the cost.

In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a lyric ultimate and a superdeluxe ultimate (air) to send to vorsprung for a fractive tune.

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
I like the 160mm air spring on the rise. Some of the geo changes are beneficial (HTA and BB height) and some are sorta neutral (stack and sta). I feel like the 160mm air spring is especially beneficial for me because I like to run around 30% sag on my rise, and that allows me to run 22% ish sag in front and the bike feels well balanced.

The luftkappe just adds more negative volume which essentially provides a bit more mid stroke support. I like it on the 36 because I find that the 36 (especially the 2022 model) gets harsh quickly when you add compression damping, despite being very open or under damped (compared to the 2018 - 2019 grip 2 damper). The luftkappe allows me to compensate a bit for the compression nuances of the 36 using the air spring... which is not ideal, but it does actually work well in practice for me.

I think that the float X is a nice upgrade over the dpx2, but I wouldn't spend more then 200 dollars making the swap if it were me. The truth is, that the dpx2 isn't a bad shock, but the nuances of how the rebound/compression impact each other can make it complicated to find the right setup. If you happen to be in the right window and can find a consistent rebound setting that works and are happy with the resulting compression, you're golden. If you're a bit pickier (as I am) and you're going to all sorts of different riding locations and as a result, changing setups... it can lead to constant clicker hunting.

Long story short, I wouldn't spend a ton making the swap, but if you can sell the dpx2 for 300 bucks, and get a float X for 450ish... and your dpx2 has some riding seasons on it and may need a rebuild soon, I would opt for that route.

In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a lyric ultimate and a superdeluxe ultimate (air) to send to vorsprung for a fractive tune.
Thanks for response,
have you tried to change the stroke length on Fox Float X and increase the size of the suspension at the back? Apparently, in the new Fox Float X it is very easy, just remove 2 washers 2.5mm each to get 210x60 length and get 152mm suspension (youtube link) I suppose that the geometry should not change, maybe slightly due to the larger sag. The only thing that remains is to check if there are any elements colliding with the frame when closing the suspension.

Edit:
I think that as the person said on youtube link, the sizes 210x50, 210x52.5 and 210x55 are probably the same shock but with a different amount of spacers. In the Rise 210x55 it is probably completely without any spacers, so the whole plan is unlikely to work out. Anyway, cool that the fox float x is built like this.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles