Best eye protection?

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
Biking glasses don't fog up but because of the airflow they let air onto the eye at high speeds (fast descents)...this makes my eyes water, which is dangerous. Goggles fix this but they are much hotter...

Is there a product that blocks the wind at high speed and also doesn't fog when stopped?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
When motorbiking (as in off road riding) in the rain we have often used safety glasses for the same reasons of goggles fogging up. They seem to fit more closely to the face than normal glasses though still let the air flow in so as not to fog up. Cheap option for a try out too.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
You’re basically asking for anti-fog goggles with travel-velocity-independent airflow... low enough to keep the lens fog-free, but not enough to dry the eyes excessively. This can be achieved with a fan in the frame. They’ve had those for years in ski goggles, but ski goggles generally aren’t designed for impact protection. So the closest to the full suite of functionalities desired would be these tactical ballistic goggles.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Yeah off road motorcycling is pretty physical, hence your googles fogging up, try the safety glasses, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (y)

I asked because I have tried safety glasses for cycling. They sucked (at least for me), because what makes them great for use as safety glasses (and apparently okay for use in motorsports, per your testimonial)... is that they fit close to the face. There is not enough airflow at non-downhill speed/exertion ratios to keep them from fogging up.

I’m sure motorcycling can be physical. But I’m also pretty sure that you rarely spend much time at the speeds of MTBs, even E-MTBs.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I have a set of Oakley Radar EV Path Prizm Low Light Sunglasses.
They provide very good protection (when I run into trees I dont care), and my eyes dosent dry out (as they do without them).
I really hate when I've forget these at home...

They fog up when I'm at stand still, but quickly gets clear when moving.

Also....the lens makes the visibility better....it really does.

Glasses seem to work differently depending on who's wearing them. The cheap 5€ Decathlon bike glasses work fine for me. They don't fog up and my eyes stay nice and dry at speed. They're cheap enough to give it a try at least.

The worst thing is to buy 100-200€ glasses, only to find that they don't work for you. I guess they could be returned though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Fogging up is only really a problem in the cold weather, or so I have found.
Wear a neck tube. It stops the warm moist air from rising through the gap around your biking jacket and condensing on to the lenses.
I have tried proprietary products like "Fogbuster" but they are of limited benefit. I have also tried spitting on the lens, soap liquid, ditto. The best thing I have found is to stop the warm moist air from getting anywhere near the cold lenses.
If the conditions are correct warm moist air will condense onto anything, which is why I get frost on my beard in winter.

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
Got exactly the same issue today when riding in the cold... I had to finish the ride without googles :confused:

For skiing I use Julbo googles with their "Superflow" system where you can pull the lens for increased ventilation, it works well on the ski slopes.
I will try them for my next ride, they are photocromic cat. 1-3 so almost clear when in the shadow.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I wear safety glasses while riding and those suck in the rain, especially in the rain in the night. Vision becomes obstructed by droplets on the lenses horribly so I have to wipe them inside and outside. They do not fog while I'm moving on bicycle they but starts fogging while I'm staying on the traffic light. Fogginess dissipate after I start moving. But the main problem is water droplets on the lenses surfaces.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
I asked because I have tried safety glasses for cycling. They sucked (at least for me), because what makes them great for use as safety glasses (and apparently okay for use in motorsports, per your testimonial)... is that they fit close to the face. There is not enough airflow at non-downhill speed/exertion ratios to keep them from fogging up.

I’m sure motorcycling can be physical. But I’m also pretty sure that you rarely spend much time at the speeds of MTBs, even E-MTBs.
I used safety glasses for walking and biking in winter, worked well.

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland
Biking glasses don't fog up but because of the airflow they let air onto the eye at high speeds (fast descents)...this makes my eyes water, which is dangerous. Goggles fix this but they are much hotter...

Is there a product that blocks the wind at high speed and also doesn't fog when stopped?
i have used ballistic shooting glasses in the past, when i had a fall on gravel the certainly stopped it getting in my eyes however the bottom of the lens cut my cheek fairly badly, id say get something with a full frame around the lens

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
I got a pair of Oakley Radar Advancers for Christmas, they have this lever on the nose bridge that tilts the lenses outwards which stops fogging when stood still, they seem to work pretty well so far.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It seems like I collect glasses but I don’t. The ones on the left are a variety of safety glasses. I tried most of them in the beginning and found that they fog up fairly fast.
Then I tried the Ryder transition tinted. These never fog up and transition fairly fast. So I got the clear pair of Ryders for winter or night riding. My neighbour got me the bi-focal stickers since I can’t read the time on the Kiox without my reading glasses. My modeling career has skyrocketed since…I’m just kidding, I still look goofy.
3627BA1E-C431-4D28-905C-25C1F5A0ABE3.jpeg

I like the no-frame across the top too.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
goggles are the best eye protection and do not fog up if they are properly vented. I use Smith Squad goggles with a Smiths Mainline full face helmet ( well vented Enduro type). The goggles have a fully open matrix design on the top rather than the usual layers of foam and those vents match vents in the helmet. No fogging and neither is much hotter than most open face helmets with glasses.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yep the Scott Prospects were one of the 3 most recommended goggles when I was deciding which to get. In the end it made sense for me to get goggles that matched my helmet having previously used some 100% goggles with that helmet and found they completely closed of my nose because they were pushed down by the helmet!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Try taking the foam out of the vents on the top of the goggles. The POC Ora googles dont have foam over the vents and it makes a real difference - I removed the foam from my other Googles which I have gone back too as I ran over the POC's and trashed them recently.

The Pocs actually have no foam on either the bottom or top vents, meaning great airflow with no foam hanging on to moisture, but without the foam in the bottom vents you can get bits fo crap in the goggles.

06C38916-8149-4961-96F2-BAF71676444B.jpeg

667CEC12-E4C6-45E1-8D7C-6BB8DFFF7CBC.jpeg

Note: Dont do this we ski goggles! Wont work when skiing.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
If no one has posted this already:
Here's another good thread on the subject:
Now my ten cents worth:
I don't get along with goggles, on the bike... Atv, or motorbiking their fine..
So it's big glasses with good coverage and protection for me.
And as I live in the eastern mediterranean, the sun radiation here is insane! So that requires especially dark glasses, But what do you do when it gets near sunset!? Or in the winter?
I always carry two sets of glasses on every ride.
The best sunglasses I've ever owned:
Oakley jawbreakers! W/dark grey Prism lenses for sunny days. They are amazingly comfortable, give great coverage, and an amazing field of view!
For winter/overcast/mornings/evenings I use clear photochemic glasses:
Bertoni F1000 photochromic, sports glasses.
Found this italian company, they specialize in quality safety glasses, their products are excellent quality! And reasonably priced (see attached picture) they go from clear to slightly dark, when in the sun, are verry strong, and are the best I've had when it comes to foging up there is no perfect) as they have vents in the lenses.
Highly recommended.
Never have problems with wind in eyes/watery eyes.. with either of these glasses?
Tim
P.S. I've tried work safety glasses... they suck.. they aren't really clear, distort the vision, scratch easily, and fog up terribly..

Screenshot_20210118_131421.jpg
Screenshot_20210118_193955_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:

FirstChild

May 7, 2021
Austin
I don't know what type of glasses you have, but I never had problems with mine. Anyway, TBH, I have tried some before finding the best pair. Now, I have some pairs from sporteyes.com. One of my friends, which is a professional cycler, recommends this sunglasses store. My entire family purchased from them, and we don't have any problems at all. They are very comfortable, with extensive coverage, and don't let their air into. Anyway, you can look o their catalog and see the reviews; I totally think you will like some.

Last edited:

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I use safety glasses from Phillips and 3M and pay on average $10 for them. The trick is to have ones that fit well enough to not have wind coming through around the nose or from my cheeks up behind the glasses. They do not fog if I keep them clean and carry Zeiss cleaning packets to clean them on the go. Every non-fogging goggles I have bought over the years was an expensive disappointment.

eMTB XL

Jan 14, 2021
USA
I have used my Scott Prospect goggles in the snow (temps around 32 F°) and just recently in over 100 F° with no fogging issues. I use a Bell super DH helmet with the chin bar installed. These are the best goggles in my opinion. They get the job done exceptionally well and at a reasonable price. Plus they come with a clear and a tinted lens which are easy to swap. If you buy them you won't be disappointed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles