Best eMTB 12 speed chain? **UPDATE**

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
What is the best chain out there?
Is it worth buying cheap and replace often or are there other options regarding longevity of wear?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Buying a cheap chain and replacing often may work well if you only look at the cost of chains. but a worn chain wears the gears faster than an unworn chain. So, if you can use a chain that lasts a long time, then so will the gears. Using cheap chains may work for you if you are meticulous with chain cleanliness and lubrication. Not riding in mucky and /or abrasive environments will help too.

I prefer a higher spec chain for several reasons. They don't rust overnight when I put the bike away wet. I don't have to be constantly measuring the chain for wear. I don't have to be "meticulous with chain cleanliness and lubrication", although I do look after the transmission. I don't have to worry about where I ride.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum about different ways to get best value. One is to boil the chain in wax. Another is to use three chains in rotation - swapping every few hundred miles or at a specific wear %. That way the gears will never reject a brand-new chain. There are other methods.

According to reports I have read; the wax treatment appears to give very good results indeed. But I just can't be arsed! (nor with the three chains method).

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I have a SRAM XO1 chain on my Levo SL, which has been on there for almost 3,000kms and is showing no measurable signs of wear (I teach bike mechanics for a living, so know how to measure chain wear!). All I do is clean it thoroughly most rides and apply fresh lube.

I’ve also had good luck with Sram’s XO1 chains. A little pricier but I plan of sticking with them while I run a Sram drivetrain.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Not much point buying a light chain for an ebike. I use SRAM NX, they work great and last ages. Alternatively, your basic KMC chains or their e-specific variants.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I find the hardened pin chains, like a connex to be best suited for me.

I pair a cassette and a Connex for life, and get about 1000 miles of mud from the set, with the cassette failing before the chain.

Last edited:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Not much point buying a light chain for an ebike. I use SRAM NX, they work great and last ages. Alternatively, your basic KMC chains or their e-specific variants.
I went through two NX chains in under 1,000kms. My XO1 chain has lasted nearly 3 times as long and looks set to continue for a good while longer, so at less than 3 times the price, it's outperforming NX by some margin. I couldn't give a toss about the weight. I can't remember where I saw it now, but I read an article last year about how the SRAM XO and XX chains had a significant increase in durability over the GX and lower, which is why I tried the XO chain in the first place, and it appears that the article was absolutely right. I for one won't be buying cheap chains any more.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Well I’ve opted for an expensive chain “Diamond Like Coating”
I can’t lie, I liked the bling aspect as well as the hardness and durability claims.
Let’s see how long it lasts.
Anyone had any experience of this chain?
0754672E-3687-46FE-B9FD-4C50C024BAAD.jpeg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I can’t lie, I liked the bling aspect as well as the hardness and durability claims.
View attachment 78948
Interesting. We use DLC very often at work, with a wide variation of uses, and results.

Curious to see how it works out, and wondering if applying a DLC to the cassette would be useful?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
I went through two NX chains in under 1,000kms. My XO1 chain has lasted nearly 3 times as long and looks set to continue for a good while longer, so at less than 3 times the price, it's outperforming NX by some margin. I couldn't give a toss about the weight. I can't remember where I saw it now, but I read an article last year about how the SRAM XO and XX chains had a significant increase in durability over the GX and lower, which is why I tried the XO chain in the first place, and it appears that the article was absolutely right. I for one won't be buying cheap chains any more.

It probably was the cycling tips article that is linked earlier in this thread.
charlie

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
This subject has a ton of variables. Think each rider needs to consider the conditions, maintenance, cost and even how you ride as factors. What's good for one may not be the same for another. On the flip side, these days it's not that easy to buy "what you want" vs "what you can find."

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
If you're running a Shimano cassette... Only use a Shimano chain, they don't shift well otherwise. XTR CN-M9100 is best bet, lasts the longest and doesn't rust like the the cheaper chains. Not a great deal more expensive either

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I initially believed the shimano line about their 12 speed cassettes requiring a 12 speed shimano chain in order to shift as well as intended. Turns out it's bollocks and SRAM 12 speed chains shift equally well with shimano's 12 speed drivetrains.

You're right about the XTR chain though. They're manufactured separately to all Shimano's other mtb chains (outsourced) and the XTR is fairly big improvement over the rest.
I've never found Shimano chains to be particularly great and that's precicely why I've always preferred to use SRAM (and before SRAM bought them, SACHS) chains with shimano drivetrains instead.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I put a lot of faith in independent open access testing of stuff - everything can be replicated to check if it’s bollo***s. So, heres a link to some independent testing of chains using a logical system the details of which are entirely ‘open source’. It rates all the common chains. XX1 and X0 come out top for cost effectiveness with XTR a close third. There’s also stuff about the most cost-effective way of maintaining a chain-set elsewhere on the site - all the older and latest lubes and waxes are thoroughly tested with phases in water and in grit and, crucially, with the lower returning chain NOT under tension. Here’s the link and their rather clunky new YT Chan (search zerofrictioncycling) is also full of interesting detail about how the chain and lube manufacturers try and influence us. Chain Testing - Zero Friction Cycling

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
I bought kmc ebike chain got 600 km out of it cleaned and lubed regular cost was £65 now use sram pc 11 speed get around 300 km for £12-15 still on original cassette as I change as soon as stretches I’m on 5 th chain but I might try the xo after read this don’t ride much on flat it’s manly uphill to descend

beerglass

Jan 18, 2020
Bristol
I bought kmc ebike chain got 600 km out of it cleaned and lubed regular cost was £65 now use sram pc 11 speed get around 300 km for £12-15 still on original cassette as I change as soon as stretches I’m on 5 th chain but I might try the xo after read this don’t ride much on flat it’s manly uphill to descend
Are you using 11 speed chain on 12 speed setup ?

I used to have a gen 2 levo with 11 speed and did what you said above. I purchased cheap £10 PC1110 11 speed chains and replaced when at .75% wear and got 6 chains and 1500 miles out of the drive chain

Not sure what to do with 12 speed now on the gen 3 levo

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
I’ve tried both12 and 11 speed got 11 speed doesn’t seem to make a difference don’t know why you need 12 speed on ebike as chains and cassettes nearly double in price I would swap it all out for 10 or 11 speed steel cassette

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ

I’m looking for some bling on my Canyon Spectral:On CF7…. It’s very “stealth”.. aka blah🤦🏻‍♂️

Looking at KMC website they have E series chains (for e bikes) , this is an X12 model, Is their a difference?

Last edited:

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
My wife has a Levo SL which has the original NX drive train. She has put 5,600 miles on the bike with no drive train changes. The bike shifts fine and I don’t know if I should make any changes. Should I wait for something like chain slip before installing a new drivetrain?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I initially believed the shimano line about their 12 speed cassettes requiring a 12 speed shimano chain in order to shift as well as intended. Turns out it's bollocks and SRAM 12 speed chains shift equally well with shimano's 12 speed drivetrains.
Never tried SRAM and Shimano 12 speed back to back, but KMC e12 to Shimano XT was a very noticeable improvement.

Honestly don't know what Orbea was thinking specifying the e12 on the bike. It's not like the cassette is an e-bike cassette.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ironically KMC make that chain (to Shimano's spec) :ROFLMAO:
An Eagle chain works well on 12 speed shimano and a lot of folk report it to run quieter than the shimano.
I don't run 12 speed on any of my own bikes as I genuinely think it's a step in the wrong direction. That and running costs becoming ridiculous.

It's not like there's such a thing as an e-bike chain or cassette
;)

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
View attachment 78948
Fitted this replacing a Shimano M7100 SLX chain in a full SLX system.
I can report that the shifts were much smoother with this KMC, even in a Shimano set up!

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Fitted this replacing a Shimano M7100 SLX chain in a full SLX system.
I can report that the shifts were much smoother with this KMC, even in a Shimano set up!
Yep, agree 100%.
The SLX chain was also susceptible to rust, even if reasonable with the maintenance. I wouldn't purchase one, even as last resort.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles