Best bike lights

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Is it me or am I missing something, but is not the case that the reason we go night riding is to sharpen our reactions and deal with poor line choice but if the trail is lit up like a premier division football pitch it kind of defeats the point, I stick with my cheap and cheerful flea bay jobs

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Is it me or am I missing something, but is not the case that the reason we go night riding is to sharpen our reactions and deal with poor line choice but if the trail is lit up like a premier division football pitch it kind of defeats the point, I stick with my cheap and cheerful flea bay jobs
Personally ..no.
The reason I go / went ( its been a while) is to scare myself shitless with a few like minded people then have a pint afterwards ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Purchased Topside light to be seen in traffic (day & night) and it works very well; I’m using the bright flashing mode front & rear. I’ve even had people in cars (during the day) ask me where I got mine so they could get one. With it’s bright wide beam pattern & dual light design, the bright flashing front white light & bright flashing red rear light, mounted high on my helmet, is highly visible (even at a long distance) day or night. If you’re looking for a headlight to see the road, look elsewhere as I don’t believe the wide beam pattern was designed for this; I think it’s primary use is to be seen in traffic and help you avoid being hit by cars & trucks. Using the flashing mode, I’ve never run low on battery and can go a week without charging (roughly 6 hours use)

After nearly getting taken out on Friday, my wife insisted that I get some sort of light or anti reflective clothing.

As my name isn’t Derek, I went for one of the Topside helmet lights. It probably wouldn’t be any good for night riding, but looks perfect for being seen during the day. And it’s extremely lightweight, so you can’t notice it’s on your helmet.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
After nearly getting taken out on Friday, my wife insisted that I get some sort of light or anti reflective clothing.
Or both. Most lights have strobing ability too. Front and rear.
I mount lighting on the bar, helmet and seat post at night.

A372EB72-4577-4409-9091-FD3F9EF0F47F.jpeg

6E4A5A08-B75C-4964-BECF-DB0DC03C1054.jpeg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Bang for buck magicshine off aliexpress for around £225 will get you 8000 lumens, I’m tempted myself but then I’d need mtb friends who are up for nights ?

edit: ignore that all sold out inc the 6500, bugger that’s annoying! Was just about to buy one myself

I’ve got the 1500 one but it’s more a helmet light really, defo think the 6500 minimum is required after trying the trails a few weeks back, the headlight will help diffuse shadows so helmet/bike combo I reckon

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Listen to your mate Carl.
A bar mounted light on its own for mtb is pretty useless.
Ideally a spot on your lid and a flood on your bars but if you are going to run just one light helmet mount every time.
The bar mounted flood helps with definition of the ground just in front of your wheel and removes shadows from the helmet mount beam. Shadows can be confusing.
The only caveat is in mist or har and certain types of snow fall a helmet light is reflected straight back into your line if sight leaving you blind unless you keep tilting your head side to side. A massive PITA but the only way to continue riding if caught in those conditions.

Last edited:

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand

I’ll settle on the six pack sync mk2 since I got that and the Diablo for under £500, obscene I know but will last years
It's a great combo, I have the same, yes they're expensive but beautifully made and will last years, I've had mine 4 years now. You won't regret buying these lights (once you recover from the hit to your bank account 😉)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
@Gary The way I read @carlbiker 's post was that he got the six pack and the diablo for under £500, which is a bar and helmet light combo. I could be wrong of course, wouldn't be the first time 🤣

Yep that’s right, just having one light would be a disaster! I had on my helmet the Olite 1500 which was surprisingly good, might even be as good as the Diablo, I need to test still. Without the headlamp the shadows come out too much, as soon as the lamps on they disappear.

Exposure Six Pack Sync MK2 and Diablo Sync MK2 Front Light Set £500 for both

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah.. Right. Apologies.

From your video it didn't look like you had a head torch on. drowned out from the bar light and difficult to see on film I guess.
I also skipped most of the video. 😜

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Yep that’s right, just having one light would be a disaster! I had on my helmet the Olite 1500 which was surprisingly good, might even be as good as the Diablo, I need to test still. Without the headlamp the shadows come out too much, as soon as the lamps on they disappear.

Exposure Six Pack Sync MK2 and Diablo Sync MK2 Front Light Set £500 for both
Weird thinking £600 for a pair of lights is a bargain, but it is lol These are the right lights and customer service from Exposure is fantastic.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Weird thinking £600 for a pair of lights is a bargain, but it is lol These are the right lights and customer service from Exposure is fantastic.

Hang on, I’ll be the last to say it’s a bargain 😃, closest thing to that is maybe the link I’ve posted above offering the lights for £500 instead of £600 but even so, scary money!

But buy cheap buy twice as they say, Gary can say it’s a waste of money but has he even tried one out? Pretty clear those that do end up keeping them……

It was this thread initially that made me try the cheaper ones, I tried the Olite 1500 as a main and a cheaper Chinese one as my helmet and the experience was ropey, maybe that’s more me being blind though!

my aim was bring the daylight and safe to say that objectives been achieved
Ah.. Right. Apologies.

From your video it didn't look like you had a head torch on. drowned out from the bar light and difficult to see on film I guess.
I also skipped most of the video. 😜

well it’s a good job I don’t aim any of my videos at you isn’t is given your compelled to say about skipping on every video I upload 😉

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles