Best bike computer to pair with 2023 Giant Reign E+2?

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Looking for recommendations for which bike computer works best with the Giant Reign e+.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I paired my Garmin Edge 130plus successfully using Ebike Field (available on Connect IQ store). It worked well enough, giving me battery percentage and selected power level however my Edge 130plus stopped connecting to satellites a few months ago so has now become useless as a GPS so I'd hesitate to recommend it. The font used for the ebike data fields was quite small as well (and not adjustable AFAIK) which is a bit of a pain if you need reading glasses (possibly not an issue for you).
I think most of the other Garmins can be set up to provide the same data as well though.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Successful Garmin Edge 530 user here on a 2021 Stance.
Were I to do it again I'd go for the touch screen for easier setup and on the fly route planning.
Apologize for my ignorance.
Garmins allow for on the fly route planning? I thought it was necessary to import a route into a Garmin, from a phone or a laptop?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Apologize for my ignorance.
Garmins allow for on the fly route planning? I thought it was necessary to import a route into a Garmin, from a phone or a laptop?
If you are out on a ride you can use the map to find a place you want to go to, make that your destination and the Garmin will guide you there.
It's a PITA without a touchscreen with pinch to zoom and touching the point on the map.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I upgraded two months ago to using the 830 (touch screen) and swap it back and forth between my Trek and a Giant. I like the bigger screen over the 530. I found it for $250 on Facebook Marketplace in like new condition. For cold weather riding, I also just picked up some winter biking gloves with a touch screen thumb and finger tip for zooming without taking gloves off.

Another nice feature the 830 offers (especially since I ride alone) is *incident protection. If you turn this feature on . . . if you crash and are injured or unconscious it auomatically calls your emergency contact. I don't know if their lower models offer this. I've read some users have complained about it sending false alarms, but I'd rather be safe than sorry (I can turn that feature off if I find too many false alarms). My wife can always just call me on my cell to verify an incident.

* (Garmin) When an incident is detected by your Edge ® device with GPS enabled, the Garmin Connect app can send an automated text message and email with your name and GPS location to your emergency contacts. A message appears on your device and paired smartphone indicating your contacts will be informed after 30 seconds have elapsed.

brooko

Apr 2, 2021
london
Looking for recommendations for which bike computer works best with the Giant Reign e+.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Hi Wally, what are you planning to do with the computer. The Giant app has rudimentary functions and tuning for the bike via Bluetooth (assuming its similar to my Trance E+ 2). Nothing compares to a GreyP but wondered what functions you're after?? A

Wallybean

Jan 13, 2023
Hamilton, Montana
I would like it to track my bike details as well as be able to run Trailforks or similar maps. I normally just use my smart phone but have now destroyed one on an over the bars moment and don't want to repeat. I would love to be able to track power output over the ride but that isn't something I need or have done in the past.

Thanks again for all the replies!

PS, the Giant app is pretty poor and I don't use it except for battery status.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Another vote for Garmin 530 -- I thought I'd want the touch screen and initially I did because the touch screen would be easier to set up but now that I've had it almost a year I find I'd never need the touchscreen. I do wish the GPS was a bit more exact I feel like my Garmin watch sets a better track then my 530.

If I really need to navigate/look up a big map detail I do find myself pulling out my phone.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It's worth looking at the TwoNav/Ordnance Survey Trail-2 Bike.
It displays and records ride routes, HR, Cadence, Power etc etc.
It can store loads of routes, and you can send routes to it from a phone app. It can be set to automatically upload your rides to Strava etc if you want as well.
You can send a beacon of your location and there's an emergency function too if you get in bother.

It's also WAY better value than the equivalent Garmin, and if you're in the UK or Europe the map detail is far, far better than Garmin. I'm not sure how good it would be in the US or Aus though.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
It's also WAY better value than the equivalent Garmin, and if you're in the UK or Europe the map detail is far, far better than Garmin.
You can download or convert pretty much any Openstreetmap based map to Garmin Edge navigators. That's the main reason I use Garmin instead of Wahoo. Never heard of TwoNav Trail-2 bike, sounds interesting , I'll take a look.

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
You can download or convert pretty much any Openstreetmap based map to Garmin Edge navigators. That's the main reason I use Garmin instead of Wahoo. Never hear of TwoNav Trail-2 bike, sounds interesting , I'll take a look.
You can put OS maps on one too, but just that upgrade alone costs as much as the whole Nav.

Plus, to get a readable size of screen for navigation, you need to get the big Garmin, 1030 is it or something?

By the time you have a comparable product from Garmin, it's the best part of a grand. I looked at all sorts for a good length of time before deciding on which one to buy. My choice wasn't dictated by just cost either, the features and screen size were also factors because my eyesight isn't perfect.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I went for the 130 because I knew I'd have to stop and put my reading glasses on to see the mapping on the bigger Garmins. I figured that if I had to stop anyway, I may as well just use my phone for mapping. To be fair the 130 worked well enough for navigation when I was bikepacking even with no base map. It tells you which way to turn at junctions and that's usually enough but if I wasn't sure I'd stop and check the OS map on my phone.

Acee

Mar 28, 2023
Farnham, UK
It displays and records ride routes, HR, Cadence, Power etc etc.
It can store loads of routes, and you can send routes to it from a phone app. It can be set to automatically upload your rides to Strava etc if you want as well.
You can send a beacon of your location and there's an emergency function too if you get in bother.

It's also WAY better value than the equivalent Garmin, and if you're in the UK or Europe the map detail is far, far better than Garmin. I'm not sure how good it would be in the US or Aus though.
I'm not really into analysing metrics of a ride - just want to see where the next junction is on the offroad byway, how far I've ridden. And I do like OS Maps. I know I could put my phone on the handlebar (I have the OS app, which I like), but I'm wanting something a little smaller, more robust. Three years OS subs, 6 free 1:25000 tiles and free 1:50000 UK appeals.

Is the OS Trail 2 what I need? Or is it an old gen clunk-fest that has rightly been put to pasture? Thanks

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I'm not really into analysing metrics of a ride - just want to see where the next junction is on the offroad byway, how far I've ridden. And I do like OS Maps. I know I could put my phone on the handlebar (I have the OS app, which I like), but I'm wanting something a little smaller, more robust. Three years OS subs, 6 free 1:25000 tiles and free 1:50000 UK appeals.

Is the OS Trail 2 what I need? Or is it an old gen clunk-fest that has rightly been put to pasture? Thanks
It sounds like it'll do exactly what you want.
It's got roughly 20 hours of battery life so you don't empty your phone battery should you need it.

My only gripe is that it's a bit of a faff to download a route from OS maps and upload to the device. You'd think it would be more straightforward than it is. Obviously it's doable, but it could be a simpler process.

You can transmit your position too, which is handy for me because the wife has an idea what time I'll get back.

If mine got destroyed today, I'd have another one by tomorrow.

HaydE

May 7, 2023
NEW ZEALAND
don´t forget that garmin´s can´t give you the correct sensor power information.
Hi there.

Im trying to sort this issue on my 22 Trance E1 adv, i have a Garmin 830 and the power reading along with calories is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

ive been searching online for days and cant find any answers.
don´t forget that garmin´s can´t give you the correct sensor power information.

Micasco

Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
the email I received from Giant.

“Hi Miguel,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, this known issue occurs as a result of Garmin's faulty implementation of the ANT+ PWR as well as the CTF standards in manipulating torque inputs from several eBike motor manufacturers, including Yamaha and Shimano.

As the Bluetooth method of taking 'torque-ticks' eBike power measurement piggybacks onto the ANT+ standard, there is no easy workaround to use Bluetooth instead of ANT+ in this case.

Yamaha has been attempting to work with Garmin for a number of years on this issue, yet it appears to be not a high priority for Garmin to resolve and remains broken in the meantime.

Until Garmin resolve this issue, this data will continue to be faulty.

Please be aware that this is not a Giant/Yamaha issue, but we are attempting to help Garmin resolve it.”

FireDoug

Mar 12, 2023
SoCal
the email I received from Giant.

“Hi Miguel,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, this known issue occurs as a result of Garmin's faulty implementation of the ANT+ PWR as well as the CTF standards in manipulating torque inputs from several eBike motor manufacturers, including Yamaha and Shimano.

As the Bluetooth method of taking 'torque-ticks' eBike power measurement piggybacks onto the ANT+ standard, there is no easy workaround to use Bluetooth instead of ANT+ in this case.

Yamaha has been attempting to work with Garmin for a number of years on this issue, yet it appears to be not a high priority for Garmin to resolve and remains broken in the meantime.

Until Garmin resolve this issue, this data will continue to be faulty.

Please be aware that this is not a Giant/Yamaha issue, but we are attempting to help Garmin resolve it.”
I just purchased a Giant L200 directly from Giant. This is Giants branded partnership with Stages. So if this is a Garmin problem as stated in the reply one would imagine that Giants product would work with a Giant EMTB.

NOPE!

The bad power numbers on Giants L200 are identical to those on my Garmin 1030.

???? Giant ????

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
I just purchased a Giant L200 directly from Giant. This is Giants branded partnership with Stages. So if this is a Garmin problem as stated in the reply one would imagine that Giants product would work with a Giant EMTB.

NOPE!

The bad power numbers on Giants L200 are identical to those on my Garmin 1030.

???? Giant ????
It is clearly Giant, but it is easy to blame an other company so you don't have to do anything. With these L200's they are shooting in their own foot, because they can't blame an other brand. My LBS reported the problem with the L200 to Giant, and they acted like it was a new problem. They would investigate the problem, but as usual nothing is happening.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles