• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Bent crank arm

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Question is
Stiltsons or bloody great tyre lever and what torque should i apply?
PXL_20240124_142747279.MP.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If it was me I would replace a bent crank arm. Hopefully the pedal axle is not bent also. I don’t think you could get the shape of the crank arm back to factory spec. It might feel weird.

The crankshaft through the motor is usually robust but the shaft bearings could be compromised. Check that out.

A crank arm removal tool might be necessary (looks like a Bosch motor).

Last edited:

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Sorted now with the tyre lever. I put a dent in the swinging arm so it now measures the same as the other side🤣
Regarding pedals, they are Sam hill oil slick that were on offer for £20 a pair 👍

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Glad you got it sorted.
I assume the crank arms are alloy. You may only have a few bends left before they snap. ie; a bent aluminum derailer hangar can be realigned once or twice before it breaks.

Alloy can be a funny material.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Although the op was taking the piss, the tyre lever against the bottom shock mounting and a bit of careful force, bent it back the 5mm that was causing my heal to catch the upper rear triangle..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know the OP has fixed his problem, but I would have removed the crank arm and then used a vice to squeeze the crank arm. Insert blocks as appropriate to apply the force where required. Slow and easy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles