• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Bearing extraction and press tools

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’m looking to replace pivot bearings on my Turbo Levo and the Wife’s Orbea Rise Hydro and wondered whether there was a generic tool I could buy to cover both bikes? Never done this before and don’t want to buy incorrect tools. Any advice gratefully received.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I can't advise on what you should buy, but I can suggest you avoid this set, which is sold by many vendors on Amazon, AliExpress, etc. Some of the drifts are incorrectly sized, and the whole kit is made of cheese.

1715969985446.png

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Apart from the fact I've used this kit for 100+ bearings
makes me wonder about two things one was someone just not using the tool right? Or are some of those kits not just rebranded but cheaper versions? Somethings are literally just sold under another name often thou they are copies that are aren't the same. I couldn't tell about that set but I can tell I bought stuff that looks like it's same just rebranded and it's not

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
makes me wonder about two things one was someone just not using the tool right?

I always think that when people knock the hammer and screwdriver method. I’ve genuinely removed dozens of bearings like that on various things including most recently my carbon bike frame. Used a screwdriver to get one side out and a socket on an extension to get the other out.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
makes me wonder about two things one was someone just not using the tool right?

Without a doubt, First World tools are better than Third World imports. But there's been plenty of machines buggered up by hamfisted clowns using Proto and King Dick tools. More often than not, if I need a driver, I'll walk over to my steel rack and find something appropriately sized. You don't need a fancy "kit" to do good work.

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Anyone used Bearing Pro Tools stuff. Made in Scotland and machined to fine tolerances. They do bike specific kits.
Trouble is, if I buy a kit for each bike along with bearing puller kits, it’s approx £160. The Park Tools SBK1 kit is £250 and comes in a handy case with many different sizes. I’m thinking if I ever change my bike the Park Tools kit should cover most bikes?

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I just received and used the Bearing Pro tools
I’d say it worked well, albeit, I either ordered the wrong kit or they sent the wrong kit
The double bearing on the seat stay ( gen 2 Levo) requires a bearing puller, I bought the sliding hammer type and never encountered too much drama.
The same “challenge” encountered with the main pivot bearing, one side came easy the other was a bit of pest

I also have an incarnation of the press above, that worked fine, ideal for the main pivot link

Post ride, after replacement really showed the neglect/need to do!
Though on removal none of the bearings felt particularly bad

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I always think that when people knock the hammer and screwdriver method. I’ve genuinely removed dozens of bearings like that on various things including most recently my carbon bike frame. Used a screwdriver to get one side out and a socket on an extension to get the other out.
:ROFLMAO: Just cause it worked doesn't mean you should do it that way. You can use just about anything as a hammer does mean you should. In some case it it actual tell you to use a hammer and punch other it wouldn't. Also keep mind not everybody can rebuild a car with just a pocket knife.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Without a doubt, First World tools are better than Third World imports. But there's been plenty of machines buggered up by hamfisted clowns using Proto and King Dick tools. More often than not, if I need a driver, I'll walk over to my steel rack and find something appropriately sized. You don't need a fancy "kit" to do good work.
I find that there are tools out there aren't the fancy high end ones but also aren't the cheap crap either and that sometimes you can make a tool depending on your skill and what you have that works from good enough to Great!

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
:ROFLMAO: Just cause it worked doesn't mean you should do it that way.
just trying to save the OP hundreds of pounds on a kit that he’ll use once and chuck in the shed not to be seen for another 5 years.
You can use just about anything as a hammer doesn’t mean you should.
If you get exactly the same result, does it matter?

Last edited:

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
1. Not a screwdriver as if you get it wrong it's more likely to split the bearing apart just leaving the outer race in there.
I use a 3/8" extension bar, rubber mallet, tap/knock it out.
Sometimes I'll use a expansion bolt type setup from bearing pro tools, but not often in truth.
Get a press kit though like the blue one as you don't really want to be tapping them in.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Was just in my tool box and come across this
IMG_2411.jpeg

I didn’t have the correct driver to press a motorcycle wheel bearing. Cut a slot in the old one so it doesn’t get stuck and there’s your driver.

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

I went through the same thoughts as you a few months back. It was either buy a full kit at a high price, buy only the specific pullers for my bearings or go with the hammer and screwdriver. I only own one full suspension bike and it likely won’t need bearings for another 2-3 years, at which point I’ll probably have a different bike with different bearings.

I do have a headset/bottom bracket press that I got ‘free’ with some Amazon vouchers from work. Still had to use my socket set to make it work though.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
just trying to save the OP hundreds of pounds on a kit that he’ll use once and chuck in the shed not to be seen for another 5 years.

If you get exactly the same result, does it matter?
Yes in life sometimes it does few people know that but it's true!:) Good to see the different option people are presenting hopefully people will be able to use this thread to find the best option for them

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can't advise on what you should buy, but I can suggest you avoid this set, which is sold by many vendors on Amazon, AliExpress, etc. Some of the drifts are incorrectly sized, and the whole kit is made of cheese.

View attachment 140468
Oh shit! I was bought that set last year, not had to use it yet. I hope mine is one of the genuine ones!
I'll have to get out my micrometer now!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles