Be aware of Shimano's paultry warranty šŸ”

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I have not even replaced the shifter cables and housing on my Shimano e8000 bike, and Shimano wont pony up to replace a broken motor. Their 2 year warranty is unacceptable, when every other industry offers mileage warranties. My bike has less than 1800 miles on it. They want $1000 for a motor that's back-ordered until September. I wont be buying a Shimano product ever again. They can go F themselves

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why not have an online hissy fit about how unacceptable the 2yr warranty terms you accepted at point of purchase are and how terribly you've been treated due the manufacturer sticking to those accepted terms?

Oh.. Wait. šŸ¤”

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
They dont have anti tamper sensors.
Performance line bearings doesnt want to work on them because they cant provide warranty on their repairs.
Shimano designs their motors such that they shouldnt be serviced, but its not impossible. In fact i would say its pretty similar to working on car engines and transmissions. There is a whole discussion on this forum on how to service the E8000.

Biggest problem is that you just cannot buy certain parts. Bearings can be bought anywhere, other mechanical parts (such as clutches) can only be replaced by using a donor motor. Electrical parts can also be swapped out, but might not always work if there is calibration involved (such as torque sensor).

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
peter has had to custom make all the bearings himself for all the motors as you can not get them off the shelf and the shimano motors cant be serviced because of the sensors inside them that will turn the motors in to bricks if they get opened up why he has bearings but wont service any shimano motors anymore as just not wort the hassle so if peter wont service them id never buy a shimano motor.

The bearings are standard common types and can be purchased anywhere. There is a complete listing of the bearings in the shimano servicing topic if you wish to buy them. I bought mine from a local bearing shop in the netherlands.
Many of us have opened shimano motors, replaced parts like bearings and clutches and the motor works fine afterwards, no bricking.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
he did service them but all the ones he fixed got software bricked

Shimano motors do get bricked, but its not because of servicing.
PLB knows that, but they dont want to deal with the warranty claims that inevitably pop up months or years down the line.

My motor has been opened about 6 or 7 times now and is still going strong after 10000km. It did need replacement bearings and clutch / gear combo.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I had my e8000 finally die on me 6 months past warranty. 1700 miles.

initially Shimano just wanted to sell a full price unit.

sent motor to Alex at E-Motor repairs Cumbria as he was the only place willing to open up my motor. Lo and behold, in September after a dry summer the unit was full of water and electrical parts had died. I never jet washed or even sprayed a hose on the unit. In addition one crank bearing was seized. So it was dead.

After some rather terse emails with Madison they finally agreed to an assisted purchase. And in the end the warranty manager was very good about it all. However the motor supply had to be via a dealer and Merlin, where I bought the bike originally are not a Madison partner. However E-Bike motors are; Alex was superb in helping.

So if your Shimano motor is out of warranty and you have an issue look up these guys as they will attempt to look in an E8000 if out of warranty.

Another reason for me going Specialized with my replacement bike (apart from it being a great bike full stop) is that even as a second owner I can take the bike to a Spesh store and they will look at the issue and indeed have already replaced a TCU no questionsā€¦Also the Brose motor has a whole after warranty service market, which Shimano has not. They have most spares on the shelf including motors. Iā€™ve had less issues in my first 500 miles on the Brose motor than the e8000. Famous last words!

This I why I stay away from Shimano motors. Support is key. Sending your online bike back to Germany isnā€™t that easy either.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Gotta love a bit of diversity..when did they start doing warranty on these
Screenshot_20220604-194022_Google.jpg

..oh hell sorry ..dived straight in there without my reading specs and didn't realise the spelling was wrong ( in both cases )...ā˜ŗļø

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Shimano is the bic pen of motors it seems. Almost 4000km on my warranteed motor after 1800 on the original. Ill be out of warrantee know and still feel like it should have atleast a replacement discount for a part of the bike that is so integral. 4 yrs or 15oookm should be free and double that for a 40% off purshase on a replacement. Then these companies might get serious about seals and durability and being rebuildable
Fingers crossed it worked well today but who knows what the next minute brings. I think ill get a bosch bike next unless things change

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I could not agree more with the sentiments of this thread and hope the manufacturers are monitoring too. Although not convinced any will do much as eMtb fly off the shelves regardless.

The future is serviceable motors, Polini are leading the way here it seems. Rocky Mountain separate their BB from the motor which makes sense. How many BB bearings do you go through living in a muddy, wet, damp environment? If the BB is built into a motor then thats a prime source of failure.

To have a motor die after 1700 miles is simply not fit for purpose, regardless of how old it is. Especially if respected and not thrown in streams etc. I was galled at having to pay for a new motor even if an assisted purchase.

Manufacturers such as Shimano change their models regularly why not look at making them more robust to water and dirt ingress, and help others to service these units.

You buy a new car and part of the warranty is to get he engine and running gear regularly services. In the Ebike world if you touch the motor the warranty is invalidated .

It goes to show these motors are designed, on the whole to be thrown away. Great for the environment ehā€¦.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I was told giant are opening a motor repair centre in the uk for the pwx motors. Any problems or out of warranty repairs will be able to go there to be fixed by giant technicians.

pmaxmax

May 28, 2022
80110c45M8;(
I have not even replaced the shifter cables and housing on my Shimano e8000 bike, and Shimano wont pony up to replace a broken motor. Their 2 year warranty is unacceptable, when every other industry offers mileage warranties. My bike has less than 1800 miles on it. They want $1000 for a motor that's back-ordered until September. I wont be buying a Shimano product ever again. They can go F themselves
I had an e8000 that failed at very low mileage. Couldnā€™t get anyone to fix it, had to be returned to shimano where they replaced it. But not impressed. The Bosch motor on the wifeā€™s bike is still going strong. Iā€™d favour CX over Shimano because of this.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Those who decide not to buy a bike that has a Shimano motor should do more than just not buy the bike. They should tell the dealer/sales person/whatever that they really love the bike, but will refuse to buy any bike with a Shimano motor until Shimano changes its policy.

After a fault-free 3500 miles on my first emtb (with an e8000), I sold the bike and decided not to buy another bike with a Shimano motor because of their policy. I had experienced no issues, I just disagreed with their policy. But it was during the supply chain issues of the pandemic and I wasn't about to cut my nose off to spite my face and be bikeless. So, I bought a bike with an EP8 motor. At the time it was that or nothing, but 1236 miles later I have had zero issues and I'm very impressed with how it performs. But I still won't buy another Shimano motor, given an option!

Once the supply chain returns to some sort of normality, maybe, just maybe, market forces will start to exert themselves and bike manufacturers will start to notice that their sales go down when they use Shimano motors. Or maybe Shimano will start to notice what is appearing in the media and act for themselves. [EDIT added later: This next bit is total and utter bollocks! I was thinking of something else at the time and had a brain fart. Of course, it is Fox I refer to and not Shimano. I leave it in as a penalty and a reminder to myself to concentrate next time!]. Sadly, the last time they did that, they asked riders what sort of suspension they wanted and their CTD suspension was the result! (Climb, Trail, Descend). That was a mis-step that took them several years to recover from. Let's hope they do a better job next time.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Those who decide not to buy a bike that has a Shimano motor should do more than just not buy the bike. They should tell the dealer/sales person/whatever that they really love the bike, but will refuse to buy any bike with a Shimano motor until Shimano changes its policy.
Every bike shop employees favourite sort of customer. šŸ™„

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"After a fault-free 3500 miles on my first emtb (with an e8000), I sold the bike and decided not to buy another bike with a Shimano motor because of their policy. I had experienced no issues, I just disagreed with their policy. But it was during the supply chain issues of the pandemic and I wasn't about to cut my nose off to spite my face and be bikeless. So, I bought a bike with an EP8 motor. At the time it was that or nothing, but 1236 miles later I have had zero issues and I'm very impressed"

... But I still won't buy another Shimano motor

1654529067518.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Once the supply chain returns to some sort of normality, maybe, just maybe, market forces will start to exert themselves and bike manufacturers will start to notice that their sales go down when they use Shimano motors. Or maybe Shimano will start to notice what is appearing in the media and act for themselves. Sadly, the last time they did that, they asked riders what sort of suspension they wanted and their CTD suspension was the result! (Climb, Trail, Descend). That was a mis-step that took them several years to recover from. Let's hope they do a better job next time.
What on earth are you talking about now?
šŸ¤”

CTD was basically just an early 3 setting compression switch designed by FOX. Back when triple chainset were the norm and many bikes pedalled terribly. So I'm puzzled as to what you think it has to do with Shimano?
More refined 3 position compression switches are still available on many current high end suspension products and still favoured by many riders

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What on earth are you talking about now?
šŸ¤”

CTD was basically just an early 3 setting compression switch designed by FOX. Back when triple chainset were the norm and many bikes pedalled terribly. So I'm puzzled as to what you think it has to do with Shimano?
More refined 3 position compression switches are still available on many current high end suspension products and still favoured by many riders
OK, you got me there! I 100% confess to a brain fart. I agree that Fox and Shimano have zero to do with each other. I am puzzled as to why I conflated the two. Embarrassed as well. :( :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"After a fault-free 3500 miles on my first emtb (with an e8000), I sold the bike and decided not to buy another bike with a Shimano motor because of their policy. I had experienced no issues, I just disagreed with their policy. But it was during the supply chain issues of the pandemic and I wasn't about to cut my nose off to spite my face and be bikeless. So, I bought a bike with an EP8 motor. At the time it was that or nothing, but 1236 miles later I have had zero issues and I'm very impressed"

View attachment 89684
Yes, I believe that I understand your response. 100% good experience so far, therefore why not stick with it? There is nothing wrong with a principled stand, provided it doesn't leave me without a bike (I'm not that principled).
I may have been lucky so far, but why buy a bike with a motor that cannot be serviced?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They're two separate companies. But they certainly don't have "zero" to do with each other. Business wise šŸ˜‰

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I may have been lucky so far, but why buy a bike with a motor that cannot be serviced?
TBF having had no issues you have no personal experience of Shimano's warranty policy or their customer service with regards to replacement out of warranty. So are basically stirring up a fuss over nothing.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How else are they to know the views of their potential customers? I'm doing them a favour by taking the time to give feedback they can use.
No. You're really not.
LBS shop staff/owners don't speak directly to anyone who makes big decisions at Shimano.
You're more likely to come across as yet another Ill informed tyre kicker.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
TBF having had no issues you have no personal experience of Shimano's warranty policy or their customer service with regards to replacement out of warranty.
From what I have read on here it seems that I would not like the experience. But I am a positive person and I assume that my motor will not fail within the warranty period, so that leaves afterwards.

I have had experience of Shimano's warranty policy on their brakes and shifters, drive train and so forth and have very little to complain about. But motors (and batteries) seem to be another matter. I have not done a study, just absorbed a disturbing amount of negative comments about Shimano motors, but not Bosch for example. Maybe because I have a Shimano motor I notice more topics about their motors.

If it was not for posts on this Forum, I would be proceeding happily along assuming that Shimano would be fine with any motor claim within warranty and that if outside warranty I could pay to have the motor fixed. To find otherwise and not try to do something about it where possible is maybe not the best thing to do.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No. You're really not.
LBS shop staff/owners don't speak directly to anyone who makes big decisions at Shimano.
You're more likely to come across as yet another Ill informed tyre kicker.
I cannot believe that retailers do not notice when their sales are down and a reason is given that they don't do something about it. The current situation where every decent bike made is sold before it reaches the shopfloor is a bad time for customers to be registering protests, but we need to get the message across.

It really doesn't matter whether I am ill-informed or not, I am registering something that concerns me and I am the one with the money! Shimano can either fix the problem or do something to convince me that it isn't a problem. They are a big company that will have access to all sorts of market research tools, so they cannot be unaware of discontent amongst their customers and potential customers.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From what I have read on here it seems...
You really think what you read here representative of the full picture ?
Many folk actually sign up here with the intention of having a moan and a rant and many of those don't really stay any longer to make any positive constructive contribution.
How many times have you seen a new member sign up just to tell us all they have had a flawless experience over a numbe rof years as you yourself have? and then crawl off into obscurity
I have had experience of Shimano's warranty policy on their brakes and shifters, drive train and so forth and have very little to complain about. But motors (and batteries) seem to be another matter.
No. They're no different. Stick to the warranty terms and any warranty claim should be solid.
Maybe because I have a Shimano motor I notice more topics about their motors.
probably
If it was not for posts on this Forum, I would be proceeding happily along assuming that Shimano would be fine with any motor claim within warranty
*sigh*
I cannot believe that retailers do not notice...
With respect. Your knowledge of how the retail bike industry works is poor. so what you believe or not is irrelevant.
It really doesn't matter whether I am ill-informed or not, I am registering something that concerns me
in that case. Register your concern with Shimano directly. But do be honest about your concerns coming from nothing more than reading reports from complete strangers online.
Shimano can either fix the problem or do something to convince me that it isn't a problem.
Are you seriously trying to tell the most successful mult billion pound component manufacturer in the bike industry how to run their business based on what you've read while frequenting a small internert forum? There's a lot of crazy on here but that's kinda next level.
They are a big company that will have access to all sorts of market research tools
Yes. Of course they do. and they also have constant ongoing product development programs.
, so they cannot be unaware of discontent amongst their customers and potential customers.
Again. You simply have no idea and are simply going off discontent you've read about online.

You've clearly been massively overthinking this but do Email Shimano with your concerns if you really want them taken on board.

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Why not have an online hissy fit about how unacceptable the 2yr warranty terms you accepted at point of purchase are and how terribly you've been treated due the manufacturer sticking to those accepted terms?

Oh.. Wait. šŸ¤”

The warranty is never brought up during the sale/purchase. It's usually not even spelled out on websites and you have to dig for that info. The motors arn't reliable and all of them end up in a landfill way too soon, not even lasting an agreeable amount of time.

Their motor was never fit for release for production. It pisses me off when companies release products for the public to become beta-testers. People like you accept this crap from companies - im not sure why we arn't demanding more as consumers?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. But It's up to the consumer to read warranty terms for pretty much any retail product. And it's assumed you've agreed to them at point of sale.
Did you have the full warranty terms read to you by retail staff the last time you bought electrical goods or tools?
You do also have various consumer laws protecting you dependant on country of purchase.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
This and similar threads would have to be written in Japanese before Shimano would notice :geek: Meantime I'm happy with my five ride old never wetted EP8.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles