Battery Terminals/Connector problems - Grease needed?

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Hi, Been running an ebike with E8000 Motor and external mounted battery (BT-E8010)
for 6 months and got an additional battery about 3 months ago.

Anyways recently when using my oldest/original battery I was getting power drops and full restarts when hitting bumps and/or using higher power modes. No issues with the newer battery though so clearly a battery issue.

I looked at the contacts in the older battery and they're toast (only 6 month old), partially missing looking like they've had a bad connection and partially disintegrated. I've cleaned what's left of them with wd40 and bent them back to help make better contact and it's worked for the moment but whilst I'll be looking to get the original battery replaced under warranty my concern is it happening again as I checked the connectors in my 2nd battery and they're 'okay' but looking pretty tired.

Any tips for caring for these connectors/terminals?

BTW - we're not talking 'light use' it's been charged at least once or twice everyday for 6 months..

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Are you removing the battery every time you charge? "Once or twice" everyday for 6 months is a lot of wear and tear regardless... the contacts are bound to wear down at that rate.

Now that I think about it - might want to check the alignment of the battery mounts and key lock, it's possible with all that constant use something might have moved or got loose enough to cause your older worn down battery to intermittently lose contact. You can download the STEPS E8000 Dealer Manual for reference, it shows how to install and align the mounts and keylock.

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Yea I remove the battery for each charge as I'm always swapping to another fully charged one + I keep them/charge them in the house to try and protect them against the winter cold here in the UK. I have checked the mountings etc and it all looks pretty good to my eyes. It's a full carbon GHOST MTB with no suspension so I guess the battery possibly takes more of a hammering/shocks than most but hmmm don't see how that's my problem. Was hoping some electrical grease or something like could help with the issue.

Reactions: JMD

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
'Resolved' the issue for the moment by using some conductive grease (expensive stuff but tried regular terminal grease and it made it worse). Additionally added some tape on the bike frame and bottom of the batteries so that now when slotting/rotating the battery into its slot it requires a firm push so they're nice and snug. Was only a mm or so of play before but I guess none is better. And also did have to bend what is left of the battery terminals to help make better contact but I'm reasonably confident the deterioration of them should be slowed a lot.

Did start the warranty request with wiggle but jeeez it is a pain to go through, hoped it might be simple with such a basic issue but nope....think i'd sooner foot the bill for a new battery than deal with those tools lol

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I started to wonder about the battery terminal wear as I remove the Bosch power tube after every ride, partly for security and partly to charge it indoors. I’ve known in the past that Vaseline had been used on power connections; anyway before I go down that path I checked the Bosch website and the only thing I find is this: Its plug connectors should also be cleaned and lightly greased from time to time. Doesn’t mention or specify conductive grease, I’ve asked the question and hopefully Bosch will advise on type of grease.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles