Battery recharging when?

Chris_Barrable

Sep 14, 2021
Bristol
Being new to Electric I'm wondering at what level of discharge should I too up. The shop said lots of little top ups are better than waiting til nearly empty which makes sense, but I'm of the notion that Lithium batteries shouldn't be left stored above about 80%. Is this true or am I out of date?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No you are broadly correct - there are lots of threads on this, some going into very detailed depth, but the general consensus is that if charging your battery and then not using it for a while you should not fully charge it, but leave is with 2/3rd or so charge.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
I have a DJI Mavic2 Pro with a few batteries. They have some 'intelligence' in them apparently that auto discharges them after a few days of inactivity. I'm not sure what type of batteries they are.

When I am planning on doing a drone shoot, I'll typically fully charge the night before.

On my Whyte, I do my ride, use around 60-75% of the battery, and then just leave it until the night before my next ride, then fully charge. Not sure if that is the best way, but I'm not the kind of person to 'micro-manage' battery charge status.

Chris_Barrable

Sep 14, 2021
Bristol
Pretty much everything I've read about rechargeable batteries suggest they are happiest living at 70-80%. Above that the electrons are bursting at the leash to get to the other side. Below 60% they start to forget where they are supposed to go.
Bit like me!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles