When is best to charge the battery? when very low or after use?

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
I usually do long rides and end with 15 to 30% battery left, so I put it to charge immediately.
Today I had a flat I could not fix so only used one bar (Specialized Turbo Levo) .
Is it ok to charge it like this or better do another ride and then charge it?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Good question. I have a Shimano battery (well, at least it's a Shimano motor, I have no idea whose battery it is).

In answer to your question, I can only say that it depends upon how far your next ride would be, and when. If soon, and you believe you have enough charge , then I wouldn't charge it. If the charge is insufficient for your ride and you will ride tomorrow, charge the night before. If it's going to be weeks before your nest ride, I'd leave the bike as it is, then charge the night before.

Whatever the state of charge, unless it's high, I always charge the night before. As per written instructions, if I'm going to be leaving the bike unused for a while I will Ieave it with 60-80% charge.

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
No real harm in topping it off as the way things are going the projected battery lifespan versus the way people change bikes and the other issues like failed motors etc. you probably don't need to worry about pro-longed battery life.

If your bike has the 700wh battery they are 2170 cells and are pretty robust to begin with and supposed to last more charge cycles than 18650 like those in the 500wh battery.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
No real harm in topping it off as the way things are going the projected battery lifespan versus the way people change bikes and the other issues like failed motors etc. you probably don't need to worry about pro-longed battery life.

If your bike has the 700wh battery they are 2170 cells and are pretty robust to begin with and supposed to last more charge cycles than 18650 like those in the 500wh battery.
Yeah, I've had mine a year, ride at least a little, almost every day and only have 48 cycles on the battery.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Lots on the forum about this - basically to give best cycle life leave the battery between 30-70% charged, unless you are riding within 24-48 hrs in which case you can charge to full; it’s med-long term storage at elevated SOC that kills lithium packs.

More info and links to sources...

Battery storage: - EMTB Forums

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I wouldn't charge until I had the flat fixed. I generally don't charge if I think I have enough battery for the next days riding. When I do charge I like to monitor and unplug from the charger once the charge cycle is complete, rather than leaving it plugged in over night.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles