Battery not coming out

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Anyone else had issues getting the battery out of their Bullit or Heckler? The battery lock mechanism is the same on both.

If I turn my quick-release 1/4 of a turn clockwise nothing happens. In fact, you can keep on turning and turning.

According to Santa Cruz support they only heard of the opposite: Battery falling out mid ride.

Anyone?

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Yeah, that's bollocks. The Shimano quick-release thing is poo and breaks. There's a guy in Germany that has printed a spare part and is happy to send. Otherwise it's a complete new harness from Shimano (because god forbid they'd sell small parts...).

If it's the same as mine then this should get you out of trouble @dochabanero.

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Hello @dochabanero , I had the same issue. You still can remove your battery using a small spoon or fork and then try to fix the mechanism.
Maybe it's just the set screw that came loose or the rocker is broken. But you can replace these parts quite easy.

Take a look here, I took a lot of pictures that show you how to get that battery out.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Hello @dochabanero , I had the same issue. You still can remove your battery using a small spoon or fork and then try to fix the mechanism.
Maybe it's just the set screw that came loose or the rocker is broken. But you can replace these parts quite easy.

Take a look here, I took a lot of pictures that show you how to get that battery out.

Great thread with tons of useful info and pictures. Curious if yours was broken from the get go? First time I tried to get it out and it was broken… :/

Lockey

Jan 14, 2019
Peterborough
I have a new nukeproof megawatt and have exactly the same problem. I’m waiting to see if the bike shop will replace it. I didn’t realise it was a common thing.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Brilliant info! And the referenced thread with ‘The Fork’ has awesome explanatory pictures🥳
A question:-
Does anybody think that the damage that’s causing this difficulty (removing the battery) is caused by the battery falling out spontaneously (there are threads elsewhere on emtbforum explaining why that happens sometimes)?
Or is it perhaps taking the battery out several times without the full ‘quarter turn’ on the allen key by letting it ‘fall’ into your hand under gravity with the bike upright?
When I read about the battery falling out, I hadn’t seen the explanation. So I’ve always ridden my Bullit with an unsightly Velcro strap round the top of the down tube at the level of the Allen key hole (I have a bit of clear frame protector on the frame to stop rubbing). I don’t always check the battery seating is correctly aligned, I do this instead.
I also take care when taking the battery out to have the bike tipped up. I have it at 45 degrees in my shed with the handlebars on a bench, but it could be upside down too. The battery won’t come out unless the Allen key is fully turned that 1/4. I have it in my mind that this reduces the wear on the item that’s getting damaged so clearly illustrated by the pictures here.
I’ve also bought the yellow 3D printed part to replace that other part of this mechanism that can also break - it’s good quality and cost less tha £20 inc postage form the excellent Martin Ritschel

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles